Two Disturbing Articles about Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

broombie
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2016, 6:53 am

In the Washington Post there were two disturbing articles impacting those on the Autism spectrum.

The first one was https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/03/18/people-on-the-autism-spectrum-live-an-average-of-18-years-less-than-everyone-else-study-finds/. Even though this study was done in Sweden, I have personally encountered the frustration of those on the spectrum who find it difficult to live in an unsupportive environment where they struggle to fit in. This person occasionally expressed thoughts of suicide. I know of one mother whose autistic child was not allowed to join a Christian homeschool group because of his disabilities. Apparently they didn't ask "What would Jesus Do?" They probably wore the WWJD bracelets though.

The other disturbing article was https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/10/07/neighbors-file-lawsuit-against-autistic-boys-family-alleging-his-behaviors-constitute-a-public-nuisance/. Not only did these parents have to deal with autism, they had to deal with horrible neighbors. The people who filed this lawsuit are beneath contempt. I wish I could somehow reach out and show some moral support to the parents of the child with autism.

Unfortunately, I personally knew of some parents whose child was arrested for "sexual assault" because he identified with younger children and they were "showing off." They had to put his child through the antiquated, unsympathetic juvenile justice system. One advocate said that if they were heard in front of a knowledgeable judge, then their son stood a chance. Unfortunately, the other judges had no knowledge of ASD and they had a "get tough on crime" attitude.

I don't know what to feel about this. While I agree in therapeutic treatments for those on the spectrum, I also believe that society has to step up and do its part. We aren't in Nazi Germany.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 11:28 am

Wrong Planet thread about the life expectancy study

There is a thread somewhere about the other story to, but I am to lazy to look it up.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

broombie
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2016, 11:43 am

Thanks for letting me know. I don't know how to transfer my post to that discussion though. These articles just appeared yesterday in The Washington Post and it was hypothesized that the cause for early death was suicide.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:03 pm

Here's the UK paper The Guardian which talks about suicide and also epilepsy. I don't really understand this second part although I do know that a seizure lasting (?)10 minutes constitutes a medical emergency (not quite sure of the time period). I do know that seizure patients when possible should be placed in the recovery position on their side, with head resting on their own arm and throat at moderate normal tilt promoting easy breathing.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... ys-charity

With suicide, we've got to provide more community, which is happening very slowly. Not really doing my part either, although still participating enough with WrongPlanet I guess to constitute my part. Also, the situational swirls in with the biochem. And it's trial and error in a respectful sense regarding antidepressants. And also important when phasing down from an antidepressant to do so in a series of steps, even if the thing doesn't seem to have been working. Just that your body may have gotten used to it.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:37 pm

There was an interesting comment from a spokesperson for the Autistica charity who was interviewed about the life-span study on the UK news. He said that where epilepsy is co-morbid with autism, it is common for the usual epilepsy medications to be less effective. I assume that he implies that seizures would be more frequent and/or more acute, but sadly, the segment was very short, and no further details were given.

broombie
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2016, 5:21 am

I don't understand why, but epilepsy medications seem to be effective in helping control mania in bipolar disorder.