Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,414
Location: blah

24 Oct 2016, 7:07 am

AutieUberAlles wrote:
I doubt people with autism make more logical decisions. I have experienced people with autism to make more logical fallacies based on lack of control of emotions than those who actually act logical.


I didn't know you can "act" logical. Where is the academy award for that one??? I guess I don't know enough OTHER people on the spectrum to make this assessment ...



AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

24 Oct 2016, 1:12 pm

Honestly, it's hard for me to believe that people on the spectrum aren't less logical. Everything I've seen from myself and others suggests that.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,224
Location: NZ

24 Oct 2016, 7:31 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Honestly, it's hard for me to believe that people on the spectrum aren't less logical. Everything I've seen from myself and others suggests that.
Why?



AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

24 Oct 2016, 8:41 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
Honestly, it's hard for me to believe that people on the spectrum aren't less logical. Everything I've seen from myself and others suggests that.
Why?


Look around you. A lot of posts on this site are rife with absurd logic that only makes sense to the person trying to use it, if that. Fallacies abound, backed by self-righteousness and narcissism and an inability to accept criticism or consider the perspectives of others.

Things don't seem much better in person.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,224
Location: NZ

24 Oct 2016, 9:06 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
Honestly, it's hard for me to believe that people on the spectrum aren't less logical. Everything I've seen from myself and others suggests that.
Why?


Look around you. A lot of posts on this site are rife with absurd logic that only makes sense to the person trying to use it, if that. Fallacies abound, backed by self-righteousness and narcissism and an inability to accept criticism or consider the perspectives of others.

Things don't seem much better in person.
What and neurotypicals don't have that either?

Have you heard of a certain Donald Trump or my brother for that matter?

I personally have known 12 autistic people in my life maybe one of them has the traits you described but not one of them has an inability to take criticism.

Do you know many autistic people?



AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

24 Oct 2016, 9:12 pm

Yeah, I've known quite a few other autistic people.

I find NTs are in general a lot less prone to what I describe, and a lot less married to it when they do fall into this behavior. This is just based on my experience. Yours appears to be different.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,224
Location: NZ

24 Oct 2016, 10:20 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Yeah, I've known quite a few other autistic people.

I find NTs are in general a lot less prone to what I describe, and a lot less married to it when they do fall into this behavior. This is just based on my experience. Yours appears to be different.
From my experience it depends what kind of people you are around. I for one have known many neurotypicals whereby the last thing they want to do is change their mind on an issue. Some might become abusive parents, the bullies you meet in school, or nasty co-workers. They all have one thing in common and that is that they are difficult to reason with. My dad recently discussed with his friends over the issue of the Muslim deportation posed by Donald Trump, trying to convince them to take the other side. But the thing is none of them did its because many people in general do not like to change their perspectives and see the other side its an attribute in my experience that is in many humans not just those who are autistic.

One person I see exhibiting this behavior of not considering other perspectives was a neurotypical I encountered on another forum. He went on a big tangent about how his autistic siblings could not understand their actions and used it to rub a big brush and paint all autistic people as having this attribute. People on that forum argued with him until he was red in the face but nothing changed.



AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

24 Oct 2016, 10:27 pm

Maybe... but if it's a human trait rather than an autistic or NT one that would invalidate the premise that aspies are more logical.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,224
Location: NZ

24 Oct 2016, 10:30 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Maybe... but if it's a human trait rather than an autistic or NT one that would invalidate the premise that aspies are more logical.
I never said aspies were more rational than normal people, they are human after all.



AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

24 Oct 2016, 11:40 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
I never said aspies were more rational than normal people, they are human after all.


You didn't, no. Others in this thread and many others have.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,224
Location: NZ

24 Oct 2016, 11:49 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
I never said aspies were more rational than normal people, they are human after all.


You didn't, no. Others in this thread and many others have.
That they have and for my personal experience Aspies are no more rational or less emotionally prone than the average person.



AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

24 Oct 2016, 11:57 pm

Yeah, you're probably right.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 28 Oct 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 495
Location: australia

25 Oct 2016, 12:17 am

AJisHere wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
Honestly, it's hard for me to believe that people on the spectrum aren't less logical. Everything I've seen from myself and others suggests that.
Why?


Look around you. A lot of posts on this site are rife with absurd logic that only makes sense to the person trying to use it, if that. Fallacies abound, backed by self-righteousness and narcissism and an inability to accept criticism or consider the perspectives of others.

Things don't seem much better in person.


You're assuming every person on this website is actually Autistic.



AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

25 Oct 2016, 12:03 pm

xile123 wrote:
You're assuming every person on this website is actually Autistic.


I'm assuming most of them are. As I mentioned, this has also been my experience offline.


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.


xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 28 Oct 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 495
Location: australia

25 Oct 2016, 4:47 pm

AJisHere wrote:
xile123 wrote:
You're assuming every person on this website is actually Autistic.


I'm assuming most of them are. As I mentioned, this has also been my experience offline.


Well so far all you've come up with is anecdotal evidence.



AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,135
Location: Washington state

25 Oct 2016, 4:57 pm

xile123 wrote:
Well so far all you've come up with is anecdotal evidence.


What, do I need to write a research paper to share my opinion?


_________________
Yes, I have autism. No, it isn't "part of me". Yes, I hate my autism. No, I don't hate myself.