Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 12:28 am

I recently saw a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert that I since learned that the venue was part of the former site of the Ontario Motor Speedway - "The Indianapolis of the West". California Jam 1 and 2 were held there as well as one of Evel Knievel's jumps: The "Evel Knievel" biopic starring George Hamilton had the track as the centerpiece of the movie. Besides NASCAR races, it was highly esteemed in Formula 1 and other racing franchises. I passed by the location umpteen times as a child going to visit my grandparents. I've been feeling a sense of guilt about my lack of knowledge of the site when I attended the concert, but I have mixed feelings, since 8 miles to its southeast used to stand Riverside International Raceway, where I attended a race once. OMS was built long after Riverside was, and was a source of competion that lowered attendance. I will not knowingly patronize any establishment that profited from either location being tirn down though.

Ocassionally I think about the same sort of thing in places like Israel, London and the East Coast cities of the United States. Could the site of The Battle Of Hastings now be just another Starbucks?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 12:38 am

i guess the disfigurement of historically significant sites becomes easier once there are no people left to remember them or appreciate them.

the battle of hastings must have had a greater impact on history/culture than a few specific auto racing venues. there ought to be more to gain from preserving the former than the latter.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 1:08 am

2wheels4ever wrote:
I recently saw a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert that I since learned that the venue was part of the former site of the Ontario Motor Speedway - "The Indianapolis of the West". California Jam 1 and 2 were held there as well as one of Evel Knievel's jumps: The "Evel Knievel" biopic starring George Hamilton had the track as the centerpiece of the movie. Besides NASCAR races, it was highly esteemed in Formula 1 and other racing franchises. I passed by the location umpteen times as a child going to visit my grandparents. I've been feeling a sense of guilt about my lack of knowledge of the site when I attended the concert, but I have mixed feelings, since 8 miles to its southeast used to stand Riverside International Raceway, where I attended a race once. OMS was built long after Riverside was, and was a source of competion that lowered attendance. I will not knowingly patronize any establishment that profited from either location being tirn down though.

Ocassionally I think about the same sort of thing in places like Israel, London and the East Coast cities of the United States. Could the site of The Battle Of Hastings now be just another Starbucks?

The location of the battle of Hastings is currently a field.
50.912875, 0.486933

Many locations of famous battles are preserved as historical sites. But as many battles happened right out side of city walls, and many cities have expanded outside of their original walls, I would not be surprised if there now exists a Starbucks over some location where a notable battle took place.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 1:14 am

hitler's final headquarters and site of suicide is now a car park and empty lot.

sometimes the burying of uglier facets of history is intentional.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:03 am

I went to belgrade and one of the ruins of nato bombing now holds a big ad that a mall is going to be builded
i think it's ok that you can't preserve everything but i found very distasteful to put an ad in a place so full of (sad and recent) history, they should had demolished before at least

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:08 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
I went to belgrade and one of the ruins of nato bombing now holds a big ad that a mall is going to be builded
i think it's ok that you can't preserve everything but i found very distasteful to put an ad in a place so full of (sad and recent) history, they should had demolished before at least
I would agree, it is important we respect the memory of these people.

You went to Belgrade that is really interesting. What is Serbia like?

I hear allot about it being a very nationalistic country I am wondering how true that is.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:12 am

Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

I hear allot about it being a very nationalistic country I am wondering how true that is.

I just spent two days because I was with a friend who ruined everything because he loses his camera and is a big baby who couldn't get over his own lack of responsability.

there was lots of russian references/propaganda, some stuff about serbia and russian friendship etc. i remember it cought my attention. there is a lot of concrete, brutalist architecture which I like. there was some bohemian neighborhood who seemed a bit fake. again, i didn't had enough time to get to know the city. then i went to montenegro and really enjoyed the country.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:22 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

I just spent two days because I was with a friend who ruined everything because he loses his camera and is a big baby who couldn't get over his own lack of responsability.

there was lots of russian references/propaganda, some stuff about serbia and russian friendship etc. i remember it cought my attention. there is a lot of concrete, brutalist architecture which I like. there was some bohemian neighborhood who seemed a bit fake. again, i didn't had enough time to get to know the city. then i went to montenegro and really enjoyed the country.
That seems bloody annoying.

I guess Serbia is working on cultivating a friendship with Russia a good dose of propaganda is what you need.

What was Montenegro like and have you been anywhere else in the Balkans?

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:28 am

Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

I guess Serbia is working on cultivating a friendship with Russia a good dose of propaganda is what you need.

I went to Romania, if you consider. (And also Hungary, although I wouldn't consider it, there is some relation and similar cultures).

Montenegro is a beautiful country – specially nature parts. We rent a car and travelled around all country... beautiful mountains, rivers and amazing seaside. And incredible cheap. I didn't spent much time in cities, so I don't have deep image of it either, but it seemed a bit stopped on time... and Pogdorica's airport has the weirded train station ever :D it's just an old and dirty shelter in a middle of lots of trash (although the rest of the city seems clean and fine).

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:39 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

I went to Romania, if you consider. (And also Hungary, although I wouldn't consider it, there is some relation and similar cultures).

Montenegro is a beautiful country – specially nature parts. We rent a car and travelled around all country... beautiful mountains, rivers and amazing seaside. And incredible cheap. I didn't spent much time in cities, so I don't have deep image of it either, but it seemed a bit stopped on time... and Pogdorica's airport has the weirded train station ever :D it's just an old and dirty shelter in a middle of lots of trash (although the rest of the city seems clean and fine).
Sounds like a really good place to visit. The whole Adriatic sea from what I hear is where a lot of TV shows e.g. Game of Thrones are filmed.

Its hard to believe that the whole region up until very recently was very chaotic and dangerous.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:53 am

Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

Sounds like a really good place to visit. The whole Adriatic sea from what I hear is where a lot of TV shows e.g. Game of Thrones are filmed.

Its hard to believe that the whole region up until very recently was very chaotic and dangerous.

I went to Kotor, which is a bit similar to Dubrovnik (where they film game of thrones :D) but it's way cheaper :D that's the advantage of montenegro over croatia, it's very very cheap.

here a photo I took on Kotor bay

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:56 am

was in croatia last year. apparently some of the undeveloped areas are still riddled with mines from the war. spooky.

it most likely wasn't the franjo tuđman airport (or was there right before they started expanding it?) but the airport in zagreb where i arrived and left was tiny. TINY! had to sit outside to wait for check in to start for my departure flight for there was no room inside to wait!

ever heard of that, in an airport?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 3:02 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

I went to Kotor, which is a bit similar to Dubrovnik (where they film game of thrones :D) but it's way cheaper :D that's the advantage of montenegro over croatia, it's very very cheap.

here a photo I took on Kotor bay
Man that looks lovely. A great landscape. I do wonder why Montenegro is so much cheaper than Croatia.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 4:08 am

2wheels4ever wrote:

I am sorry to say this, but I cant stop laughing at this post!

You are putting Evil Knevil into the same category as the Battle of Hastings as great historic events. Thats fall-on-the-floor hilariously funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It will take me a while to stop laughing. Then it will take me a while after THAT to catch my breath. Then I will be able to return to this topic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 4:22 am

Okay...

I caught my breath.

That IS a serious issue. Historic preservation. Shopping malls encroach on the Battlefields of the American Civil War. And its tough trade off: the economic growth vs history.

I recently read accounts by a prominent person about how all of the Nazi death camps in eastern europe are falling into decay. It may seem odd to want to preserve that grim part of history in the first place, but the grimness of the Holocaust is the very reason future generations need to remember it.

And the list goes on from around the world.

The armies of Napoleon shot the nose off of the Sphinx in Egypt just for target practice!

Six years ago the current civil war in Syria (like Egypt also home to relics of thousands of years of civilization) broke out: a war so savage that the capital city became a near ghost town in weeks. In the first few months both the world's oldest mosque, and the world oldest Christian church were destroyed. And that was just from accidental collatoral damage from the fighting. That was even before ISIS appeared on the scene, and ISIS has as part of its creed the belief that all physical monuments built prior to Islam have to be deliberately destroyed. They dinomited Greco Roman temples in Syria.

Yeah. Its sad. Not much anyone can do about it (though there is a brave cadre of Syrian scholars who do strive to preserve what they can over there).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 4:34 am

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot, with a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swinging hot spot.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman