Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

(Kratom users only) Does Kratom help alleviate your Aspergers related issues?
Yes. 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
No. 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
I'm not sure. 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 11

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 11:25 am

To the Aspies out there who use kratom:

I would like to know if kratom helps alleviate problems related to Aspergers/HFA. If so, please answer in the poll and explain in a post if you prefer. If it doesn't alleviate Aspergers related problems such as sociability or sensory overload, are there any other problems it alleviates such as chronic pain, lack of motivation or lack of concentration?

I personally have taken kratom for about two weeks now at a dosage of a teaspoon in tea a day, six days a week and it has helped with both problems regarding my HFA, but also other issues such as chronic neuropathic pain. I feel more motivated, find it easier to socialize with other people, am less prone to sensory overload, dont have rheumatic and neuropathic pains for the duration of the effect and it works better than coffee when it comes to making me more awake (without jitters and crashes related to caffeine). I would love to see more research on kratom and hope that doctors first evaluate the pros and cons of kratom before making a judgement on it (many more conservative oriented doctors have demonized kratom before any studies were made a la "it can cause this and this side effect" without providing evidence, rather than just saying "be cautious about kratom since it isnt well researched yet and the dangers of it arent apparent yet").

I know some of you dont see autistic traits as problems but to many they are problems preventing them from finding more intimate relationships or from finding a job. And despite the outcomes we should still work on spreading awareness of the difficulties many people with autism have.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 11:40 am

It should be treated like booze: there's a time and a place for it.

I have experimented with taking it during or before daily tasks and it has been a recipe for disaster - poorer impulse control, less command of my motor skills, increased cognitive challenges, etc.

I learned my lesson. May be different for other people.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2018, 11:48 pm

Thanks for starting this thread - it's hard to find good information about kratom. I've been using kratom for three months primarily for chronic pain related to gastrointestinal issues and spinal osteoarthritis. I'm also autistic and your question is interesting. I don't believe it's directly helping my sensory overload or motivation, but by alleviating the pain it reduces my getting overwhelmed and it helps me get motivated. And the same for my anxiety - it helps in a secondary way by reducing my level of pain. My understanding is that kratom is an opiate receptor agonist but is not an opiate or opioid. It seems to act over a longer period of time than opiate pain medication. And it doesn't seem to produce the disinhibition or mental fog that opiates can. In my case kratom does cause some nasty digestive side-effects, so I have to be careful how much I use and how frequently. That's not surprising because opiates in general slow down the whole digestive tract. I've known people who are addicted to high doses of opiates and I certainly don't want that. I've read that kratom poses much less of an addiction or overuse risk specifically because it produces unpleasant side-effects. In my case having relief from the pain at certain times makes it worth it. I've been on a large number of psychiatric medications over the decades, and despite my high hopes almost every single one fails to effectively treat the symptoms I have from autism (and in my case PTSD). The only medications that ever helped were benzodiazepines, but those tend to be quite addictive and produce bad withdrawals. I agree - I wish doctors would objectively study kratom before making demonizing statements about it. The FDA was about to ban it, but users who used it to get off heavy opiates convinced them to collect public input first. I also like your idea of spreading awareness of the difficulties adults with autism still face - I may act "normal" much of the time, but it doesn't mean I'm not frequently limited by my autism or suffering with it.

albert111
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2019, 5:41 pm

Kratom has helped me immensely. I have Asperger’s/FHA that went undiagnosed until a couple months ago, and I am 45. I also have been working for 29 years, and almost all of it has been incredibly miserable due to the bullying, being put-down, and teased relentlessly. Not only by coworkers, but also bosses on some occasions. I have had to work in unbelievably horrible environments for years because I have a mortgage and two young children, so I can’t just quit, and its hard for me to find another job.

I was also physically, verbally, and emotionally abused by my entire family growing up. Because of all this, I have crippling anxiety from when I wake up in the morning, until I go to sleep at night. I have been taking either Xanax, or Klonapin for it since 2000 or 2001, and it barely does anything. A coworker, of all people, told me about kratom because we both have chronic pain issues. If I take Kratom when I work, not only does it make the anxiety go away, I am also able to think more clearly and do my job better because the anxiety is gone.

Kratom is truly a miracle for me. I really hope the idiots we have for our government do not make it illegal.