Trump's not accepting election result said to be payback

Page 1 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2020, 9:45 pm

Trump told ally he's trying to get back at Democrats for questioning legitimacy of his own election

Quote:
President Donald Trump told an ally that he knows he lost, but that he is delaying the transition process and is aggressively trying to sow doubt about the election results in order to get back at Democrats for questioning the legitimacy of his own election in 2016, especially with the Russia investigation, a source familiar with the President's thinking told CNN on Thursday.

The President's refusal to concede, as CNN has previously reported, stems in part from his perceived grievance that Hillary Clinton and former President Barack Obama undermined his own presidency by saying Russia interfered in the 2016 election and could have impacted the outcome, people around him have said.

Trump continues to hold a grudge against those who he claims undercut his election by pointing to Russian interference efforts, and he has suggested it is fair game to not recognize Joe Biden as the President-elect, even though Clinton conceded on election night in 2016 and the Trump transition was able to begin immediately.

Trump has heard from a multitude of friends and business associates who have been urging him to at least let the transition begin, even if he doesn't want to concede, another source who is also familiar with the President's thinking told CNN. His answer: No. You're wrong. "Absolutely wrong," according to one source.

When Trump has been told to get Rudy Giuliani and other members of his legal team off the case, the President has disagreed. He wants to continue the fight, and people close to the President have even expressed concern that he is buying into Giuliani's false claims that his legal efforts can change the election's outcome.

The friends and associates, this source said, have been imploring the President to think about the future. They have told him he is making it harder on himself, that he'll have a hard time getting people to stay at his hotels, or even borrowing money if he continues this behavior. He will hurt his brand, they have told him. The President thinks that's wrong.
His response is that he had more than 70 million people voting for him, which he thinks conveys ultimate power and authority -- and should convey the White House as well.

"The most important thing we need to keep in mind is that Donald is in a unique position for him," said Mary Trump, the President's niece who wrote a damning account of his family life. "He's never in his life been in a situation that he can't get out of either through using somebody else's money, using connections, using power. And not only is he in a unique position, he's in a position of being a loser, which in my family, certainly, as far as my grandfather was concerned, was the worst possible thing you could be."

The President, this source said, "doesn't see" how bad the aftermath of all of this could be for the country, and for democracy itself. As usual, he's focused on himself -- not Covid-19, nor the transition.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2020, 10:17 pm

I wouldn't put it past him.

However the article seems yet another in a slew of unsubstantiatable rumors that pass for journalism these days.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2020, 10:21 pm

Was it a named source, or yet another "anonymous" one who supplied the "information"?

Not claiming it isn't possible (probable even), just trying to clarifiy the potential accuracy\verifiability of it.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2020, 10:54 pm

You'd think with their objection to being called "fake news" they wouldn't keep doing that.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 12:25 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:
I wouldn't put it past him.

However the article seems yet another in a slew of unsubstantiatable rumors that pass for journalism these days.

It fits his psychological profile, imo. 8)

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 12:51 am

I saw the video clip "you can do it Trump" where they were telling him he should concede. In that clip they shown some of the previous losing candidates, both Republican and Democrate, that have conceded. Among others, they shown Hillary Clinton. When I saw her, my first thought was that they just undermined their own argument because in Hillary's case the losing side did "not" accept the defeat, as evident by Russian investigation.

Ever since then I was thinking that the way Democrats handled losing 2016 election and the way Trump handles losing 2020 election are actually very similar, and I was wondering why nobody besides me sees it. I mean whether you are a Democrat or Republican, you would assume that your party lost because the other party committed a fraud, yet the other party lost legitimately and your party never committed any fraud. What a double standard on both sides.

However, I am surprised that Trump thought about it, considering that he never publically mentioned it. My question is: why didn't he ever brought it up? This would have been a strong point if he were to do it. Then he would give Democrats a choice: either they should allow him to challenge 2020 election results, or they have to admit that in 2016 he legitimately won and there were no Russia interference. So he would gain "something" no matter which way it goes. And simply thinking about it in his head isn't going to do it. The trick is to say this out loud, publically. I don't understand why he doesn't.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 12:58 am

Others including myself have pointed out the similarities between the two elections and saying things like 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' and 'turnabout is fair play'.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:03 am

Someone should be tallying what Trump's costing taxpayers here.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:10 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:
Others including myself have pointed out the similarities between the two elections and saying things like 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' and 'turnabout is fair play'.

The problem here, is, <cough> Confirmation bias. <cough> :mrgreen:

Quote:
Understanding Confirmation Bias
A confirmation bias is a type of cognitive bias that involves favoring information that confirms your previously existing beliefs or biases.1

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a- ... as-2795024

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:12 am

cberg wrote:

Over a Billion dollars! 8O
Sorry, that was the cost of the left-wing riots demonstrations. :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Glory to Ukraine.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:14 am

Realistically that's a drop in the bucket relative to an economy of many trillions, not to mention the purported 14 times as much spent on the election.

You also don't know the rioters. You never asked them why they rioted. I can't imagine the majority ever claimed any partisan affiliation, Americans are more sick of the false dichotomy in Washington than you seem to be aware of.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:20 am

Pepe wrote:
cberg wrote:

Does that also include the cost to taxpayers of the "left's" Russia investigations, impeachment process, and related actions resulting from failing to win the 2016 election as well, which were designed to hamper the winner of that election from carrying out the policies they were elected to implement?

I doubt that the current costs related to the challenges of this election will come anywhere close to that, either.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:20 am

Pepe wrote:

What was the cost of years of the Mueller investigation and years of house and senate hearings?

I have a feeling it's a bigger number than a couple of weeks of recounting votes. Plus from what I read the campaign is covering the cost of legal action being taken. I don't see how taxpayers could be footing the bill for that in the first place.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:23 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:
Pepe wrote:

What was the cost of years of the Mueller investigation and years of house and senate hearings?

I have a feeling it's a bigger number than a couple of weeks of recounting votes. Plus from what I read the campaign is covering the cost of legal action being taken. I don't see how taxpayers could be footing the bill for that in the first place.

Lol no.

Quote:
Between May 17, 2017 — the day Mueller was appointed Special Counsel — through Sept. 30, 2018, his office spent $12,287,852. This includes $7.3 million on salaries and benefits, $1.3 million on travel and transportation, and $2.2 million on rent and utilities. In the most recent of the three expense reports filed, the Special Counsel’s office also says it spent $15,618 on printing and copying needs.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=Muller+Investivation+cost

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:32 am

cberg wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Lol no.

Quote:
Between May 17, 2017 — the day Mueller was appointed Special Counsel — through Sept. 30, 2018, his office spent $12,287,852. This includes $7.3 million on salaries and benefits, $1.3 million on travel and transportation, and $2.2 million on rent and utilities. In the most recent of the three expense reports filed, the Special Counsel’s office also says it spent $15,618 on printing and copying needs.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=Muller+Investivation+cost

So...You're saying the few weeks required for counting votes will cost taxpayers more than $12,287,852?

Could you share a source that supports this, as it seems unlikely it will cost anything like that amount.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:38 am

No, I'm saying the Muller investigation did not cost more than the election's total campaign funds spent. It was over 1000x less.

Whether it's taxes or campaign donations, I find the financial spectacle extremely wasteful & ridiculous. That money could feed people, instead it feeds their egos.