SBSK (Special Books by Special Kids) Rant/Vent/Concerns etc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Offset
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2021, 4:05 am

If this is in the wrong section or category, I apologize.

If this has been brought up before, I apologize, although I doubt, from some searching I've done.

I been biting my damn tongue about this for the longest, but I can no longer do so, and I'm gonna keep it real, and talk about the pink elephant in the room, everyone else is scared to talk about or point out.

I first heard about SBSK (Special Books for Special Kids), in a html/IRC chat I believe I was in. I was telling the person I was chatting with, I feel hopeless and lost as a gay black man with autism, bipolar/manic depression, and I have OCD and social anxiety as well. They then asked me to watch the SBSK channel on youtube.

What is SBSK?

Well I'm not glad you asked lol. It is a youtube channel that is highly successful, in which this very extremely attractive, handsome, privileged, well off, white guy named Chris, interviews people (and their families) with disabilities, from all aspects and types.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4E98H ... kTKIgrSmtQ

He talks to them (and their family members), in my personal opinion, kind of like objects and pets and animals, he doesn't really seem that empathetic in my personal perspective, and I just frankly and truthfully just find it hard to see where he isn't making this whole purpose about him, and his agenda, as opposed to bringing awareness to the people that he showcases.

Chris talks to these people very disrespectfully usually. Asking very plastic and milquetoast questions like, "How are you" "How do you feel" "What makes you happy" etc. Instead of actually being down to earth and just naturally interviewing them and being relatable to them. He associates with the family members the same way, "Do you love your child" "What are you happy about your child" etc. again, very weird plastic questions.

There have been many people he's showcased, but one case in particular I had a problem with (mainly because I felt very connected and related to this particular situation perhaps), is he brought on a black autistic man (like myself) and like some autistic people, he has the ability to remember trivial things quite well. In his case, he's able to tell you the release date of any blockbuster movie.

I'm not gonna post the video here, in lieu of saving bandwidth and space on this post, but you can look the video up easily online. But I just felt the way Chris was talking to him was really shady and horrid, and he was treating him like an animal, and kinda belittling him, and talking to him like he's a dog or he's not a human. Like, I'm sorry, I can't help but not think Chris was being an indirect jerk.

Another person he interviewed was this guy, claiming to have Schizoaffective disorder, and having terrible schizophrenic episodes. Despite the fact he looks like he takes extremely good care of himself, well groomed, dresses well, (unlike from my own belief is that people under heavy Schizophrenic psychosis, are disheveled, aren't taking good care of themselves, and would not be presentable to do an interview for a youtube channel, at least not looking dapper and like well groomed idk.)

Chris, again is asking this guy bland and very insincere questions. But that's not the part I have a conspiracy towards. It turns out this guy is actually an actor, and you can look up his acting reels and skits he's done. He also has a youtube channel with a huge, substantial amount of subscribers. So this is really interesting. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a stunt or act. I understand this guy said he was in the military and was going to sober living homes and things like that. Which I don't know if that's true, which I pray for him and that's awful to deal with, but I don't know. I'm not saying Chris knew this guy was playing a "character" or what. I don't know.

My last example is going to be of Chris interviewing an adult man who is autistic. The way Chris talks to him like he's a child, and he's nearly the same age as Chris, and kinda disrespectfully shouting at him, and kinda mocking him and teasing him, is just awful. His mother and father are interviewed as well, and he's not being genuine to his parents and asking them plastic questions as usual, and the guy is calling out to Chris, and asking him questions, and Chris just ignores him, which I can't believe. It's really uncomfortable to watch.

Miscellany. I know other people have complained that when Chris interviews siblings, or "non disabled" siblings, he acts different, and more personal, and flirts with the attractive sibling/sister, and this was something I was like "yeah right" at first, but I wouldn't say he "flirts", no way, but remarkably, I kinda noticed this as well, and it's so strange and also weird.

Lastly, I'm not saying the channel/network is entirely bad. Is Chris an evil guy? No he's not. I don't think that's the case. However, I don't feel he should be hosting or facilitating this organization, as he does not know how to interact and deal with this caliber of situations. I think someone more qualified, and someone with credentials, should take his place.

I know he does give links to the people he interviews social media and all that, and I know he has raised money for people that need wheelchairs, vehicles, transportation, medicine, tools, financial help for living costs, medical costs and procedures and yeah. So I will give this organization that.

I know whenever people speak out against Chris and this SBSK, it seems they get backlash and hate, and you're being judgmental and cruel. Look here, I want to make things very clear, as a gay black autistic/disabled man myself, don't start that. Don't twist my words, or take what I'm saying out of context. If anything, I'm doing the opposite of that, and trying to help these situations, so they are better, and to improve. That's all.

So if anyone wanted to respond or add their opinions to this, I appreciate it. Thank you. :)

Offset

08 May 2021, 8:54 pm

Bump. Because the guy I talked about and mentioned second, that specific video now has 11 million views, and I'm still suspect about it. I don't know.

Offset

17 May 2021, 4:07 am

Bump again. Because I'm just puzzled by this SBSK network. I don't know.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 5:08 am

I've seen many of the SBSK utube videos. I thought they were good generally. He's not the best interviewer, but I think he treats the people he interviews with respect. He just has some assumptions that are a bit irritating. Generally, he listens to the people he interviews and seems interested in what they have to communicate and their experience rather than only pushing his own views.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper Pets: Cats and Ducks

18 May 2021, 8:49 am

Do you know that my thoughts are that one can have qualifications coming out of ones hat and shoes but this does not mean that one has the maturity to be in the situation that you describe.

Maturity is gained through working a few years doing more lower paid jobs in things like retail which really do wonders in learning how to treat people with respect.