Schizoid Personality Disorder looks like ASD to me.

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 6:47 am

A lot of emotionally disinterest-based traits will overlap with alexithymic traits. (Lack of interest in socializing/sexual activities/relationships/flat affect/etc.)

If not, overlaps with social circumstances, inexperience and negative experiences.

Not to mention mental health issues related to lack of pleasure (depression, anxiety, wholly different preferences of activities)...

As for poor ability to read nonverbal cues...
A lot of overlap with NVLD and various visual processing issues.
Even anxiety can screw with reading social cues. Or just sheer inexperience.

Personally, I practically never had this. :lol:

In fact, I would've choose to be a schizoid, merely because everything is intense and I like vague silent the image.

But I just am not.
I'm asocial alright. But that doesn't mean introverted, less emotionally expressive (I tried since age 5), avoidant or unable to enjoy and participate social activities.

I wouldn't be surprised a highly alexithymic turned asocial autistic would have schizoid personality disorder.

And I'm not a highly alexithymic turned asocial autistic. Just naturally asocial autistic.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 8:23 am

I have obvious (and bizarre) interest in sexual and romantic area since being about 6 years old. I am definitely not asexual or even aromantic, although I would prefer to be non-interested in sexual activities (due to spiritual and religious reasons). But I am somewhat "markedly asocial", I do not have thoughts/feeling/need of being emotionally loved (for example by parents) and my nature doesnt't bother with having (platonic) friendships - they look to be unnecessary for it. So I appear to be more "schizoid" than many people with ASD... Someone could think that autism means "persistent schizoid disorder since early developmental period + even more other issues (like sensory problems)". But from what I read, people with ASD relatively often are not uninterested in non-romantic and (or) non-sexual relationships, friendship, platonic love (and I may appear to have lack of drive to them from as far as I remember)...

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:56 pm

Makes sense.

ellora
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2021, 9:33 pm

I was diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder 11 years ago. It never quite fit. I suspected autism even then. Ive recently been diagnosed with autism. Typical mental health assessments ( millon, mmpi) still identify me as schizoid.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 9:41 pm

It makes sense.