Here are countries WAY more racist than USA ever could be

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2011
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,226

06 Jun 2021, 7:42 pm

Look, with a giant thread on this forum saying America isn't racist causing so much contention, and counterpoints explaining how racist America is, I offer a middle ground: America is indeed a racist country, BUT it is no where near as racist as some other countries. Not even close. Which countries you say?? The following are all countries, ranked in order from most racist to least racist, that are way more racist than America:

1) India: Talk to a Hindu nationalist. Right now. Thread ended and no debate needed. These savages (as in Indian nationalists, not regular Indians) are literally as bad as Nazis. They elected a leader known as a butcher and they are notorious for their hatred of other groups. Most evil people on earth literally after the actual German Nazis from 1939.

2) Serbia: This is a country not only known for the worst genocide on European soil after the Holocaust, but unlike Germany which took ownership for its genocide Serbia still denies they even commit a genocide, many war criminals from the Bosnian genocide still hold power in Serbia, and right wing mobs are actually common in Serbia unlike in America where most of it is exaggerated.

3) Israel: When Israel had a bill pushed to make it a land for ALL of its people, not only Jews, the Bill was shot down. Israel is known as a land exclusively for Jews, Jews get special treatment in Israel, black migrants get harassed and deported regularly, and anti-Arab racism is so rampant in almost all of Israel.

4) United Arab Emirates: The country treats non-Arabs and non-whites as trash. Even muslim Arabs get treated like trash by the arrogant white expats living there who think they're God because UAE's government kisses white tourist butt.

5) Japan and China tied: Both nations known for strong xenophobia, with a long and documented history of hyper jingoism and chauvinism and believing their nation is god's approbated nation.

6) France: This country still has the skulls of Algerians in their damn museum.

7) Afghanistan: Hazaras and other non-Pashtun treated like 2nd class citizens

8 Greece: I get that the Turks screwed them hard but their anti-Turk hatred still is excessive.

9) Croatia: Same issue as Serbia but way less.

10) Bulgaria: Very ridden with right wing nuts.

11) England: These guys exterminated entire civilizations and still act as the British Empire was a good thing.

12) Canada: 1st Nation members disappearing is so bad its actual a national crisis.

13) Poland: Right wing nuts running the place from what ive heard

Yes America has its racist elements but luckily it isn't as racist as the above countries.


_________________
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

Master Oogway


The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 605
Location: Vancouver Canada

06 Jun 2021, 9:22 pm

The Canadian one is nasty. I remember in grade school hearing how bad the Natives were treated in the 'olden days', only to find out decades later that Residential Schools were still operating at the time. Typical..



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,384
Location: I'm right here

06 Jun 2021, 10:31 pm

Canada has a pretty bad history in regards to how indigenous peoples have been treated.
It's so terrible you might go so far as to suggest we're as terrible as the US or Australia. :wink:


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,176
Location: New York City (Queens)

07 Jun 2021, 1:46 am

salad wrote:
12) Canada: 1st Nation members disappearing is so bad its actual a national crisis.

What exactly has Canada been doing lately that's worse than what the U.S.A. has been doing to its indigenous inhabitants?


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- My Twitter (new as of 2021)


Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,022

07 Jun 2021, 2:05 am

Yeah, I'm sure there are countries far more racist than USA, and probably also countries far less racist than USA. And I'm sure USA is far better than some countries in some ways, and far worse than some countries in other ways. To each their own.

Anyway, when it comes to discussing what country is racist, I think a few important points should be taken in to account:

1. Is the country racist or was it racist? Even if a country had very racist laws in the past, and I dare to suspect that more countries did than didn't, does it still have many racist laws now? I don't think that calling a country racist because it was very much so a hundred years ago is called for. If laws and rules have changed and the racism has been weeded out on the official level, I think it would be fairer to say that the country was racist or that it has a racist past instead of just calling it racist.

2. Second part is about the official level. If a country has racist laws, like people of certain races being forbidden from some public services (not to be mixed up with people with the country's nationality being offered different things than people who don't have the country's nationality), then the country is racist. However, if the country has no such laws, but in practice many people treat people of other races badly, then it would be more correct to say that the people of that country are racist, not that the country itself is racist. Of course, even then not all people of the country would be racist, but if the general opinion was clearly against one race or the other, then a bit generalizing might be counted as appropriate in this context.

By the way, when it comes to Canada, isn't making a big deal out of the bodies they found and such a proof that they aren't as racist there as they used to be since they're owning up to their crimes and admitting that what they, well, the people of the past to be more exact, did was terrible? Just brushing it under the carpet and not commenting on it would be way more racist if you ask me.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,871
Location: temperate zone

07 Jun 2021, 3:53 am

Countries in the Old World tend to have a specific tribal hatred of the next door neighbor. Irish vs English, Greek vs Turk.

In the Americas races from all over the old world were thrown together. So instead of hating the tribe next door (who probably had the same skin color as you) because you warred with them for centuries, you hated folks of different skin colors.

So there is ethnic tribal hatred between groups, but they tend be of the same skin color, or "race". So its hard to compare to "racism" in the US.

But in some cases yes- some countries are far more racist than the US.

Japan is a contender for the worst. They hate all foriegners (other east asians, and everyone else). And unlike the Chinese, the hatred is based not just on culture but on blood (or "race").



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,571
Location: Stendec

07 Jun 2021, 8:56 am

The fact that another country may be more racist than America does not mean that America is not racist at all.  Instead, America was founded on racism, sexism, and the alleged supremacy of wealthy, white, protestant, European, male land-owners who kept slaves and treated their wives as breeding stock.

Deal with it.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Last edited by Fnord on 07 Jun 2021, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 77,138
Location: Queens, NYC

07 Jun 2021, 9:03 am

I don't believe the proportion of the population that is non-Japanese in Japan is more than 5%. Very homogenized society. Many other east Asian nations are homogenized in a similar manner to how Japan is homogenized.

Like I said, there are certainly racists in the United States----but I don't believe, at present, that the US can be called a "racist" country.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 50,571
Location: Stendec

07 Jun 2021, 9:06 am

↑ It is false beliefs like yours that keep racism alive in America.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 77,138
Location: Queens, NYC

07 Jun 2021, 9:31 am

Yours is only one opinion....

If there's ever a person who abhors racism, it's me.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,078
Location: wales

07 Jun 2021, 9:43 am

There isn't much in the way of distinction from past and present racism. There is such a thing as past racism. Not everyone in certain nations are somehow responsible for the actions of people long dead.



Last edited by Nades on 07 Jun 2021, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 77,138
Location: Queens, NYC

07 Jun 2021, 9:48 am

We MUST eradicate racism. Racism is still rearing its ugly head in many places around the world...and in the United States as well.

People are people, wherever you go.

There is good in every racial and ethnic group....and there is bad in every racial and ethnic group.

But the way to eradicate racism.....is to not assume racism in people merely by virtue of their race. This is absolutely counterproductive.



ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 22 Feb 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,126

11 Jun 2021, 11:56 pm

So. The point of this post is to...soothe your own conscience?

You know who else belongs on your heavily abridged list? The USA. Anti-racism isn't a damn sports debate. There's no "my team is better than yours because according to me, our crimes against humanity weren't that bad". Attempting to draw comparisons between genocides solely to "prove" the grass is greener here is a disgusting insult to everyone affected by these crimes. Quit using Holocaust victims as a trump card, as if the systematic slaughter of millions is an isolated incident in no way connected to the violence that continues to this day. Quit using a particular genocide as a measuring stick to judge the crimes committed against other marginalized groups.

The USA is still an imperialist, fascist empire built on stolen land and upheld through genocide and white supremacy. This is our country's past, present, and future. That is its DNA. The grass is not greener here. It is blood-soaked.

I see you had the gall to invoke crimes against indigenous people in Canada, only to imply that the United States does not still perpetuate these exact same crimes. And do you know who trains the IDF? I am genuinely baffled that you are capable of noticing the racism in ISR (genocide, actually. your assessment did not go far enough) but fail to acknowledge this tiny detail that Israel is a client state of the USA.

If you cannot reckon with the violence committed by your country, you cannot even begin to discuss racism as it affects actual people. That you slapped together a numbered list of human rights violations with all the levity of a BuzzFeed article—only because you feel personally wounded by the fact that the USA is racist—indicates that you have no real attachment to any of these issues. It's all a game of Risk to you.

This goes for others in this thread as well. Racist/not-racist is not a label you can stick to your shirt. It's not a binary good vs. evil distinction and you do not get a gold star for parroting empty platitudes such as "I would never be racist! I love everyone!" That shows a complete ignorance of how racism functions. To be "not racist" by your own personal standards is nowhere near enough. You must be actively anti-racist. This means challenging racism when you see it, and listening to people who are affected by it.

We are living in an age where hate crimes may now be captured and spotlighted through widely distributed digital evidence. Racism has always, always been baked into this country, which was built by rich white men on the backs of the people they have colonized, enslaved, and nearly wiped out. This is not something that can be fixed with a few laws or empty representation. My ancestors were complicit, and as a white settler I have benefit unfairly from this.

If all of this is somehow very new to you, ask yourself why your reflex is to defend the USA like an insecure football fan.



salad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2011
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,226

12 Jun 2021, 12:06 am

ReticentJaeger wrote:
So. The point of this post is to...soothe your own conscience?

You know who else belongs on your heavily abridged list? The USA. Anti-racism isn't a damn sports debate. There's no "my team is better than yours because according to me, our crimes against humanity weren't that bad". Attempting to draw comparisons between genocides solely to "prove" the grass is greener here is a disgusting insult to everyone affected by these crimes. Quit using Holocaust victims as a trump card, as if the systematic slaughter of millions is an isolated incident in no way connected to the violence that continues to this day. Quit using a particular genocide as a measuring stick to judge the crimes committed against other marginalized groups.

The USA is still an imperialist, fascist empire built on stolen land and upheld through genocide and white supremacy. This is our country's past, present, and future. That is its DNA. The grass is not greener here. It is blood-soaked.

I see you had the gall to invoke crimes against indigenous people in Canada, only to imply that the United States does not still perpetuate these exact same crimes. And do you know who trains the IDF? I am genuinely baffled that you are capable of noticing the racism in ISR (genocide, actually. your assessment did not go far enough) but fail to acknowledge this tiny detail that Israel is a client state of the USA.

If you cannot reckon with the violence committed by your country, you cannot even begin to discuss racism as it affects actual people. That you slapped together a numbered list of human rights violations with all the levity of a BuzzFeed article—only because you feel personally wounded by the fact that the USA is racist—indicates that you have no real attachment to any of these issues. It's all a game of Risk to you.

This goes for others in this thread as well. Racist/not-racist is not a label you can stick to your shirt. It's not a binary good vs. evil distinction and you do not get a gold star for parroting empty platitudes such as "I would never be racist! I love everyone!" That shows a complete ignorance of how racism functions. To be "not racist" by your own personal standards is nowhere near enough. You must be actively anti-racist. This means challenging racism when you see it, and listening to people who are affected by it.

We are living in an age where hate crimes may now be captured and spotlighted through widely distributed digital evidence. Racism has always, always been baked into this country, which was built by rich white men on the backs of the people they have colonized, enslaved, and nearly wiped out. This is not something that can be fixed with a few laws or empty representation. My ancestors were complicit, and as a white settler I have benefit unfairly from this.

If all of this is somehow very new to you, ask yourself why your reflex is to defend the USA like an insecure football fan.


My Quran teacher was blown up and shot to pieces by US troops in Iraq by soldiers stationed in Ramadi. The soldiers shot him for being outside during a military curfew, dismembered him, stole his money, and dumped his mutilated body in a hospital. My 1st grade teacher who I loved like a mother and even used to compare to my own mom from how much I loved her, also from the same school as my Quran teacher, also an Iraqi, was killed by US bombs in Fallujah. Trust me when I say I know too well the extent of the US imperial machine more than even you could ever know.

So please watch your tone with me accusing me of whitewashing and defending US imperialism. I know exactly the extent of how evil the US government can be but this thread wasn't about that. It was about countries more racist than the US domestically, to show that as racist as we are we've come a long way since we used to lynch blacks and take selfies whereas now the average American is far less racist than people in other countries

I need to clarify that this thread isn't comparing governments, but people living in those respective countries. And yes as racist as people can be in this country the above countries are more racist and that is something a visit to those countries can prove.


_________________
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

Master Oogway


Last edited by Cornflake on 12 Jun 2021, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Removed unnecessary aggression

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Jul 2020
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,507

16 Jun 2021, 4:31 pm

salad wrote:
And yes as racist as people can be in this country the above countries are more racist and that is something a visit to those countries can prove.


But neither can a post just because you claim it. I lived in Japan for 16 years. The racism I see in the US is far more pernicious.



Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,176
Location: New York City (Queens)

16 Jun 2021, 4:44 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
salad wrote:
And yes as racist as people can be in this country the above countries are more racist and that is something a visit to those countries can prove.


But neither can a post just because you claim it. I lived in Japan for 16 years. The racism I see in the US is far more pernicious.

Could you elaborate on this please? In what ways is the racism you see in the U.S. far more pernicious?


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- My Twitter (new as of 2021)