Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Brainiac42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 3 Jun 2021
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 381

15 Jun 2021, 5:47 pm

My first post on here was about losing who I am as a person due to masking. Right after I posted that I took the mask off. I’m no longer hiding who I am, or my quirks and I can already tell people think I’m weirder than they already did.. I’m starting not to care. I feel better. I don’t want to pretend to be NT anymore.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,414
Location: South-East England

15 Jun 2021, 5:54 pm

I find people actually think I'm less weird if I don't mask, because not masking means you're more confident and most people thrive on that.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,019
Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Railways AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper Feet: Left and Right Pets: Cats and Ducks BodyType: 2Legs,2Arms,1Head

15 Jun 2021, 6:08 pm

Liberating!

I mask automatically. If I don't mask I am very shy and self concious, so I mask to cover this.
I unmask completely when I am on my own in a scenic setting and no one is watching where I can really be myself!


_________________
Awaiting asessment. Neurodiverse 173/200. Neurotypical 21/200. Empathy 11/80. AQ 39.
Shutdown link: --》 Music I love: --》
Shutdown Experience similar to mine: --》


Brainiac42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 3 Jun 2021
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 381

15 Jun 2021, 6:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I find people actually think I'm less weird if I don't mask, because not masking means you're more confident and most people thrive on that.


I am more confident. I think it is just because I am no longer constantly worrying about what I’m saying, and I just say what I think. So much stress has been lifted off of me. I used to try to be “cool”. It turned into me smoking weed all of the time, among other things to try to fit in. I still didn’t ever truly fit in. It feels nice to be yourself because you know people like you for who you truly are.



timf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 686

17 Jun 2021, 6:35 am

There are forces for conformity and compliance that stem from two main sources. The first are the collectivist dynamics of our schools, corporations, government, and even churches. The second are the portrayals of life by movies, TV, books, magazines, etc.

Readers digest used to have a section called "most interesting character". It was more common for people to be familiar with others whose individual character struck them as memorable. Each time a person drops their mask, they strike a blow for individual freedom. However, like most freedom fighters, there can be a risk.

Those who have been absorbed into the "borg-like" hive can see differences as threatening.



Dandansson
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Joined: 4 Jun 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 75

18 Jun 2021, 9:21 am

I suck at masking! I don't know how to do it at all!
It seems difficult to learn.



Nyssarbor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 10 Jun 2021
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 8

18 Jun 2021, 9:48 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Liberating!

I mask automatically. If I don't mask I am very shy and self concious, so I mask to cover this.
I unmask completely when I am on my own in a scenic setting and no one is watching where I can really be myself!


I also mask automatically and it's really unsettling! I definitely ruminate on it later too. I think there's some guilt I have associated with it because I end up saying things I don't actually mean which makes me feel like a bad person.

Totally agree that going outdoors alone is really healing for this



Brainiac42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 3 Jun 2021
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 381

18 Jun 2021, 10:16 am

Nyssarbor wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Liberating!

I mask automatically. If I don't mask I am very shy and self concious, so I mask to cover this.
I unmask completely when I am on my own in a scenic setting and no one is watching where I can really be myself!


I also mask automatically and it's really unsettling! I definitely ruminate on it later too. I think there's some guilt I have associated with it because I end up saying things I don't actually mean which makes me feel like a bad person.

Totally agree that going outdoors alone is really healing for this


I’ve said things that I don’t mean as well because I was trying to mimic other people’s behaviors instead of my own to better communicate with others. I still use techniques I’ve learned from others to communicate, and it’s helped me with social skills some, but I’m not hiding my quirks as much anymore in a public setting, and I’m trying to stop thinking as much and just be myself. I’ve spent a long time constantly thinking about every thing I do.