Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 8 Apr 2013
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 25
Location: Scotland

17 Jun 2021, 4:16 pm

I have pretty much no friends in real life and I talk (well I whisper) to myself as if someone is next to me. I talk about all sorts of topics and also say what I'm going to do next. "I'm going to the bathroom, I'm going to get a drink, etc". I've did this for as long as I can remember.



BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Aug 2015
Posts: 5,744

17 Jun 2021, 4:20 pm

Could be. Could be something else.


_________________
A finger in every pie.


cbd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 12 Apr 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 170

18 Jun 2021, 6:10 am

possibly . self talk can keep the mind on track .

so if for example you had ADHD . this is a mechanism to focus



Dandansson
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Joined: 4 Jun 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 75

18 Jun 2021, 7:20 am

Qbeez999 wrote:
I have pretty much no friends in real life and I talk (well I whisper) to myself as if someone is next to me. I talk about all sorts of topics and also say what I'm going to do next. "I'm going to the bathroom, I'm going to get a drink, etc". I've did this for as long as I can remember.

they say that it a female trait.
Seriously, I think all people talk to themselves. I am not a professional but I have seen all kinds of people talking to themselves.



Dandansson
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Joined: 4 Jun 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 75

18 Jun 2021, 7:20 am

cbd wrote:
possibly . self talk can keep the mind on track .

so if for example you had ADHD . this is a mechanism to focus

interesting 8)



Technic1
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 2 Apr 2021
Posts: 242
Location: Universe

18 Jun 2021, 11:16 am

Ever heard of the invisible Government and secret societies?

They are everywhere. Talking to us telepathically.



BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Aug 2015
Posts: 5,744

18 Jun 2021, 1:41 pm

cbd wrote:
possibly . self talk can keep the mind on track .

so if for example you had ADHD . this is a mechanism to focus

Yes, I do that. Not constantly though, and not because I lack friends. Just to lay out when my next step is. Like, "do that online banking first, before you go chat on a forum."


_________________
A finger in every pie.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,318
Location: Poland

18 Jun 2021, 1:44 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
cbd wrote:
possibly . self talk can keep the mind on track .

so if for example you had ADHD . this is a mechanism to focus

Yes, I do that. Not constantly though, and not because I lack friends. Just to lay out when my next step is. Like, "do that online banking first, before you go chat on a forum."

Same with me. Talking to myself helps me focus.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 836
Location: Pennsylvania

18 Jun 2021, 1:57 pm

I talk to myself sometimes. My wife and I joke it is ok as long as I don't start answering myself.

Sometime I will say something out loud and my wife will hear me and say "what did you say?" - and I say "I was just talking to myself" and my wife will say "well, did you answer yourself?" and I say (joking) "yes! in a high squeaky voice" - the joke is that talking to yourself like Norman Bates or Gollum might be a sign that you are crazy - like you think you are two people, or you are having hallucinations. I forget who, but I remember a serial killer once telling the police that he had to kill people because his dog told him to do it. (Note: the dog couldn't really talk).

If you know who is talking (you) and you don't try to answer back (as if you are two people) I think talking to yourself is probably ok - I have a theory that it is one way I share information between the two halves of my brain - which might not communicate that well on the inside of my brain. Sometimes I will try to recall the name of someone and I cannot recall the right name because the wrong name keeps coming to mind. If I say the wrong name out-loud my brain suddenly gets un-stuck and remembers the right name.

Talking to myself out-loud in certain situations annoys other people so if I notice that I am doing it I try to stop.

I don't talk to myself often, but I have for many years. My dad used to talk to himself too.

The other joke is - "yes, I answered myself - it is the only way to get intelligent conversation around here!"

:D


_________________
ADHD-I(diagnosed) ASD-HF(undiagnosed - maybe)
RDOS scores - Aspie score 131/200 - neurotypical score 69/200 - very likely Aspie