4 Catholic Churches burned down (so far!) in BC

Page 1 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,757
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

26 Jun 2021, 4:32 pm

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/06/26 ... uthern-bc/

Good start! Keep going, imo. 8)


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,912
Location: temperate zone

26 Jun 2021, 4:35 pm

WTF?

A religious war breaking out within a First Nations tribe in Canada?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,453
Location: I'm right here

26 Jun 2021, 5:31 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/06/26/catholic-churches-fire-southern-bc/

Good start! Keep going, imo. 8)


There's a lot of FN people who are very dedicated Catholics, so while this is likely cathartic for some it's also deeply traumatic for others. My grandmother was a very devout Catholic until her last breath, I'm not but I can understand how distraught she'd be if she were alive to know about this.


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,912
Location: temperate zone

26 Jun 2021, 5:52 pm

Is this about Catholicism vs a revival in Native beliefs?

Or is it about Catholicism vs Protestantism?

Or what?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,453
Location: I'm right here

26 Jun 2021, 5:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Is this about Catholicism vs a revival in Native beliefs?

Or is it about Catholicism vs Protestantism?

Or what?


The Catholic Church operated many of the residential schools, so the outrage is more likely directed towards the RCC as an institution rather than being theologically motivated.


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,757
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

26 Jun 2021, 6:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Is this about Catholicism vs a revival in Native beliefs?

Or is it about Catholicism vs Protestantism?

Or what?


The Catholic Church operated many of the residential schools, so the outrage is more likely directed towards the RCC as an institution rather than being theologically motivated.


Bingo.

They stole, traumatized, abused, and raped 150,000 Indigenous kids and murdered ~5,000 of them.

This was in conjunction with the Canadian government - and isn’t ancient history, either. The last residential school shut down in the mid 90’s. Direct survivors, their families and descendants suffer significantly from the traumas they inflicted.

The timing is because of all the mass graves of hundreds of children just found in the last month.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,912
Location: temperate zone

26 Jun 2021, 6:42 pm

Gosh.

South of the border here ....I am not quite up on that page of Canadian history. Cant say that I am not completely without sympathy for whomever the arsonist is.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,453
Location: I'm right here

26 Jun 2021, 6:54 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Cant say that I am not completely without sympathy for whomever the arsonist is.


Me neither, but I'm not sure upsetting other members of their community is worth it for whatever short term emotional victory it provides them with.

It's not quite the same as taking down monuments to people who have wronged indigenous communities because it's rare for them to be deeply important to anyone in the community except in a negative way.


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


salad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2011
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,226

26 Jun 2021, 9:07 pm

Good. The Catholic Church has been a scourge and purveyor of violence and is the reason why most of the suffering and atrocities on earth exist. It's a terrorist cult founded by a con-man by the name of Constanine the Fraud Great, whose council of Nicea and other decrees led to the genocide of Unitarian Christian's, such as the Arians, for hundreds of years. And yes I'm aware that Islam also has a bloody track record and is responsible for its own genocides, but the tally for people killed by the Catholic Church far outweighs that killed by the Jihadist Muslims. Not that either religion is inherently peaceful, since both are imperialist religions bent on conquest.


_________________
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

Master Oogway


Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,961
Location: Melbourne, Australia

04 Jul 2021, 10:56 am

Reading some of the comments here certainly provides an insight into the type of arguments likely used to justify attacks on Mosques following 9/11, because certain groups of people blamed all of a particular religion for the action of a few adherents to it... Or attacks on Temples (and other properties) in Europe in the 1930's because those who followed a particular religion there were blamed for the economic depression the country had entered, and so seen as "deserving" of the destruction caused as a result.

Unfortunately, it seems there are still people who believe in reprisals against all members of a given community for the actions of a minority of the group, where the majority had no knowledge of the probematic actions were even taking place, resulting in the innocent being punished for something they had no control over.


_________________
Quote:
"When people express opinions that differ from yours, take it as a chance to grow. Seek to understand over being understood. Be curious, not defensive. The only way to disarm another human being is by listening." - Glennon Doyle Melton

Quote:
"Never forget that you have every right to question any individual, system, movement, or group that only tolerates you when you think and behave exactly like them" - Africa Brooke

Quote:
“There was a saying that a man's true character was revealed in defeat. I thought it was also revealed in victory.”
― Alison Goodman, Eon: Dragoneye Reborn


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,329
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

04 Jul 2021, 11:06 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Gosh.

South of the border here ....I am not quite up on that page of Canadian history. Cant say that I am not completely without sympathy for whomever the arsonist is.

This sort of thing happened in the US. My MIL gets solicitations for donations from 2 or 3 "Indian Schools" at least one of which has a Catholic sounding name.

The big deal is that this is getting a much bigger reaction in Canada than the same sort of thing would likely get in the US, at least that's my theory. In the US we are overwhelmed with stories of racial injustice, similar revelations here might have come to light in one day's news cycle but then the next day it would have been something else equally shocking.


_________________
My WP story


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,329
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

04 Jul 2021, 11:07 am

Is it really a big surprise for anything to catch fire in BC nowadays?


_________________
My WP story


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,453
Location: I'm right here

04 Jul 2021, 11:49 am

Image
Image


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,608
Location: Aux Arcs

04 Jul 2021, 1:17 pm

The people that attend those churches today didn’t commit the crimes.
Churches used to burn across the South.
It’s never a good thing.
What if homeless were sheltering inside?
What if they caught other structures on fire?
Go after the church another way, financially.That would hurt them more.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 13,453
Location: I'm right here

04 Jul 2021, 2:59 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The people that attend those churches today didn’t commit the crimes.
Churches used to burn across the South.
It’s never a good thing.
What if homeless were sheltering inside?
What if they caught other structures on fire?
Go after the church another way, financially.That would hurt them more.


There's a big difference between when churches burned in the south and this.
For starters, those were black churches being burned by white supremacist terrorists.

This is people within a community turning on their own churches due to rage over the abuse those churches either inflicted or enabled or turned a blind eye to.
Please don't impose flawed analogies on this situation because the comparison is misinformed.


_________________
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's resources and cheap labour to exploit
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,608
Location: Aux Arcs

04 Jul 2021, 3:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
The people that attend those churches today didn’t commit the crimes.
Churches used to burn across the South.
It’s never a good thing.
What if homeless were sheltering inside?
What if they caught other structures on fire?
Go after the church another way, financially.That would hurt them more.


There's a big difference between when churches burned in the south and this.
For starters, those were black churches being burned by white supremacist terrorists.

This is people within a community turning on their own churches due to rage over the abuse those churches either inflicted or enabled or turned a blind eye to.
Please don't impose flawed analogies on this situation because the comparison is misinformed.

When buildings burn people die inside.Is that ok with you?Arson is never the answer and it’s still fueled by hate.It’s also stupid to set fires right now, they could burn down a whole community.
So would it be ok to drag the priest out and murder him even though he wasn’t around when it happened?
Was it ok to burn mosques after 9/11?
Is it ok to torch a synagogue because you think Jews control the world finances?
I suffered abuse at a group home when I was a teen, is it ok for me to set it on fire?
Violence is never the answer, taking legal action is.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi