96 percent of Democrats think pandemic is not over

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2021, 7:44 am

Which party is it that has spent the past 19 months in complete denial of the pandemic? Oh, right.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 9:10 am

The water is wet analogy is incorrect. Water is wet is not a subjective matter. Defining when a pandemic is over is. Is it over when there are no cases at all, when COVID is like a typical flu year, when there are enough hospital beds? If you define over as a typical flu year, how much if any chance of another surge occurring should you need to declare the pandemic not over?

The theory that because people are progressive that makes them understand facts strains credulity. Progressives are not vulnerable to common psychological biases and fears, really?

For as long as I can remember it has been a point of pride among Democrats that they are a contentious bunch, their internal disagreements while inconvenient politically demonstrated their inclusitivioty and open mindedness. While a lot of this is interpreting facts differently some of this is disagreement about facts.

About 15 or 20 years ago a thought occurred to me that what unites the wide progressive spectrum is not wanting a significant amount of government intervention to help the poor or less use of military solutions it is that we are smarter then non progressives. I kept on trying to tell myself this was just from reading too many internet comments that do not reflect real world. That has not worked. What form it takes has evolved. In the 60s and 70s it was if we educate people they won’t be racist, won’t be slaves to the work, go home, go back to work drudgery. Now as has been discussed in other threads is that they have to be forced or othered but the basic theory of the defining feature of recent American progressivism is superior intelligence is the same.

Even though the topic of the thread is the democrats a what about the 57 percent of Republicans who do think the pandemic is over? They can’t all be Q’Anon, the pandemic is hyperbole or a false flag types. This comes back to when is over over. Politically it seems to mean when all restrictions should be lifted. The results seem to indicate Republicans are willing to take more risks then Democrats. While that might be one reason or the reason it does not explain 96 percent.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 02 Jul 2021, 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 9:36 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
My college statistics course was the most interesting class I took that year. One important point was that you get the study you pay for. For instance if you want to prove that group A is lactose intolerant and group B hates the color green you can totally do this depending on how you craft your study. I am always suspicious of polls, studies, or statistics in general.

Polling error and polling manipulations are real. Gallup is one of the oldest polling organizations around. I have seen no evidence they are on the take.

If they erred by 10 percent that is deliberate or not is an epic fail. That would make the real percentage of Democrats thinking the pandemic is not over 86. Outside of things like murder for no reason is bad, 86 percent of any group agreeing about anything bears no resemblance to the world I have lived in for over 6 decades.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 10:44 am

Water is wet is indeed a perfect analogy because it IS indeed objective.

When we achieve herd immunity and when we stopping getting large numbers of new cases, and large numbers of folks dying each day, then the crises will be over. We arent there yet.

My point was that you would THINK that 96 percent of folks of BOTH parties would agree that "water is wet".

So why do only 43 percent of GOPers agree with something as objective as "water is wet"?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 11:39 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Water is wet is indeed a perfect analogy because it IS indeed objective.

When we achieve herd immunity and when we stopping getting large numbers of new cases, and large numbers of folks dying each day, then the crises will be over. We arent there yet.

My point was that you would THINK that 96 percent of folks of BOTH parties would agree that "water is wet".

So why do only 43 percent of GOPers agree with something as objective as "water is wet"?

Ask 10 different epidemiologists what it takes to reach herd immunity and you might get 5 different answers. How do you measure when that has occurred? The going measurement is high vaccination rate+minuscule amount of new cases. How high a vaccination rate, how do you define minuscule?

Herd immunity is not exactly correct analogy either. They are many worldwide contagious diseases currently running around sans herd immunity and most of them are not labeled pandemics.

And as far water goes that is obviously a substance introduced to the earth by our alien overlords and their Biderberg group enablers to addict us. Addict us to a substance so addictive that every living thing is addicted to it and going cold turkey kills you. Genius. :D

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 02 Jul 2021, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 3:41 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
My college statistics course was the most interesting class I took that year. One important point was that you get the study you pay for. For instance if you want to prove that group A is lactose intolerant and group B hates the color green you can totally do this depending on how you craft your study. I am always suspicious of polls, studies, or statistics in general.

Yes, you can fool quite a few people with bad statistics. But you can't fool people that understand statistics. If you can read statistics, then you will have no problem understanding the significance and limitation of polls and studies. No need being suspicious.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 2:45 pm

Well, what do you know.
COVID cases jump 10% in week driven by virulent Delta variant: CDC

Quote:
COVID-19 cases have jumped by 10% in the past week nationwide as the highly transmissible Delta variant spreads like wildfire, especially where vaccination rates are low, officials said Thursday.

Centers for Disease Control director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said areas with low vaccination rates are quickly turning into hot spots even as the overall national picture remains very hopeful.

The overall number of cases remains manageable with the seven-day average of new cases sitting around 13,000.

But that is significantly higher than a week ago as several states experience mini-outbreaks. Among the emerging hot spots are Missouri, Nevada, Arkansas, Utah and Wyoming, mostly states where conservative vaccine resistance runs strong.

Public health officials are worried that politically motivated objections to vaccination are leading to swaths of the nation becoming much more susceptible to a new surge of the pandemic, even as most of the country is safer than ever.

Hospitalizations and deaths remain relatively low, probably because many of the older people who are most vulnerable to serious cases of coronavirus have already been vaccinated.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 2:51 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Well I guess those Democrats won THAT argument!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 3:03 pm

I wonder if 96% of WP posters would agree that the pandemic is not over. :chin:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

The US seems the only place in which such a belief is widely held. Some US based members of WP may truly believe such a thing. Could that be 4% of total? Actually it has just occurred to me that there is one I can think of who probably does, but they probably never thought it real to begin with.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 5:16 pm

MaxE wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

The US seems the only place in which such a belief is widely held. Some US based members of WP may truly believe such a thing. Could that be 4% of total? Actually, it has just occurred to me that there is one I can think of who probably does, but they probably never thought it real to begin with.

The US is a place that is acting like it is over, or damn near close with even blue states allowing mass gatherings and only "recommending" masks for the unvaccinated.

COVID itself will probably never be over. The 1918 flu is still around.

IRL the pandemic being "over" is not primarily a scientific question but a political one. This is not a matter of "should be".

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2021, 9:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
MaxE wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

The US seems the only place in which such a belief is widely held. Some US based members of WP may truly believe such a thing. Could that be 4% of total? Actually, it has just occurred to me that there is one I can think of who probably does, but they probably never thought it real to begin with.

The US is a place that is acting like it is over, or damn near close with even blue states allowing mass gatherings and only "recommending" masks for the unvaccinated.

COVID itself will probably never be over. The 1918 flu is still around.

IRL the pandemic being "over" is not primarily a scientific question but a political one. This is not a matter of "should be".

Yes, this. And it happened so quickly; not even a gradual transition. I’ve observed in my neck of the woods (which I like to refer to as “Deep 631”) white people are mostly mask-free and people of color are mostly masked. I am vaccinated and masked because, after listening to these local yutzes complain for the past 19 months, I do not trust that the unmasked are vaccinated.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:30 am

President Biden is expected to declare *Independence from COVID* tomorrow (Independence Day).

Be the hero of your life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:58 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
President Biden is expected to declare *Independence from COVID* tomorrow (Independence Day).

Do you think he might be a tad optimistic?
I mean, I like wishful thinking too but I don't have a political record to defend when I'm proven wrong. :nerdy:

You remember this, right?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 8:37 pm

It will be over when it is no longer politically expedient.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2021, 8:40 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
It will be over when it is no longer politically expedient.

It was never politically expedient. Especially for the 600,000 Americans that died from it.