Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:18 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Yet people here want to complain about being asked to where masks … if people could keep the virus under control by wearing masks and choosing social distancing, there won’t any reason to go nuts with ideas like this.

That's an interesting way to blame the victims here, the people wouldn't do what the politicians wanted, so it's their fault the politicians had to do this to them?

No, the people wouldn’t do what the evolving science showed would stem the spread of disease.

Unfortunately messed up messaging encouraged part of the population to believe masking was somehow bad, instead of sensible. People could have sorted out the science if they had cared enough.

I’m still not condoning the proposed solution. What I’m seeing, however, is frustrated leadership that knows it has to get its numbers down and is frustrated enough to be willing to do whatever it takes. I’m suggesting such proposals are less likely to get out of the bag if a society can uniformly make choices that prevent the situation from reaching such a point. It makes me understand the thinking of the government, but it does not get me on board with an over-the-top solution.

And, well, I’m just frustrated as heck at all the people who don’t seem capable of understanding simple measures like masking aren’t the evil. But in reality that really is a separate issue that I probably should have left out of this thread. Still, I’m sure you’ve seen just how many citizens in the USA do blame their less complaint neighbors for allowing the pandemic to escalate. It may be the same in Australia.

A long, drawn out pandemic isn’t going to bring out the best in anyone.

And that includes me. Who needs to get some sleep.

It is.
I am one of "them". 8O

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:20 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Australia is a preview of what we have to look forward to.

Not defending the wacky conservative South Australian Premier, but what is happing in Australia isn't anywhere in the same league as what is happening in China. 8O

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:26 pm

Nades wrote:

I think the ironic aspect of Australian lockdowns is that they actually hamper immunity. More behaviour like your neighbors from time to time might have given the population some degree of resistance to the virus by now provided they don't go nuts and overwhelm the hospitals. Australia needs to allow a controlled spread along with a less p**s poor vaccine rollout........it's easier said than done though.

Preventing spread at all cost is just kicking the can down the road. The virus is here to stay if Australia likes it or not. Provided hospitals can treat everyone, I would let it spread a bit.

The lockdowns had the intention of keeping the hospital intakes to a manageable level.
Some Premiers, however, engaged an eradication strategy, which in hindsight, was never going to work with the rest of the world infected.

Covid is here now the way the flu is endemic.
"Learn to live with the virus", people. 8)

"The Coronavirus. Your tax dollar at work." :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
... and yet the local Ozzy-Mozzies seem to have nothing better to do than criticize America ...

:roll:

You do this Aussie Mozzie an honour by acknowledging its existence. :heart: :mrgreen:

I have analysed your naive mindset, in regard to my position, and even though I have, on multiple occasions, shown I am not a nationalistic partisan the way you are, you still persist with your constant misrepresentations.
"interesting" 8)

I see fault where there is fault.
I have been on the receiving end of Australian government institutionalised gang-stalking abuse, as an example, so I do not view Australian culture through rose-tinted glasses. 8)

The problem with a hyperpartisan mindset is that it embraces confirmation bias, which eliminates pertinent information that is not in sympathy with a particular ideology/POV.

Some people, such as Dox, Brictoria, and myself focus on the Truth rather than engaging in groupthink/partisanship.
All you have to do is view our posts to see this.
It is all in black & white in these forums.

I find it "interesting" that you can't see your personal bias'. :chin: :wink:

BTW, there is a *lot* to criticise America aboot, these days! 8O
Haven't you been paying attention? :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
Yes, we have our problems, just like any other country; but certain members seem to believe that pointing out our country's problems will make their countries' problems go away.

:roll: Pfft!  Hypocrisy or virtue-signaling ... what is the difference?

Point out the dirty bastardos! :mrgreen:

Juliette wrote:
Yes … I feel so defensive whenever I read anything negative aimed at the US. Nothing wrong with voicing negative opinions on decision making in political matters etc etc … but American people, the land itself(which is beyond beautiful!) and the country as a whole, has my :heart: and always will. As an Aussie, who has experienced living there in different states, I feel in awe of it!

TRAITOR!! ! :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 9:19 pm

Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:
Perhaps is now about the time Australians should consider discrimination against their own police officers should they decide to act on this idiotic legislation?

I was thinking. Perhaps a new price of a loaf of bread being set at $50 for police? Doubling of rent for police? Refused admission into pubs and bars? Any wayward police will soon fall in line.

In *most* cases, police are simply following orders, mein Herr. 8)
You really have to target the Premiers of the states. 8O

Papers please ( cellphone) your papers are not in order ( your cell does not have the correct app).
You will have to come with us..!
Do you have appropriate letters of transit. .... :twisted:

where ever you go ,there you are

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 9:45 pm

Jakki wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:
Perhaps is now about the time Australians should consider discrimination against their own police officers should they decide to act on this idiotic legislation?

I was thinking. Perhaps a new price of a loaf of bread being set at $50 for police? Doubling of rent for police? Refused admission into pubs and bars? Any wayward police will soon fall in line.

In *most* cases, police are simply following orders, mein Herr. 8)
You really have to target the Premiers of the states. 8O

Papers please ( cellphone) your papers are not in order ( your cell does not have the correct app).
You will have to come with us..!
Do you have appropriate letters of transit. .... :twisted:

And one more thing,

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 9:49 pm

Jakki wrote:
So here we are in the early 21st century and me almost not being computer literate . And since
have spatial irregularities in my day to day life . Cellphones have been very frustrating to people of my generation With these kinda issues . Much less the idea of remembering to keep it charged.
My life level of various disabilities, make cellphones a cumbersome item . So consequently ,
dealing with Apps and updating and getting my fat fingers to operate a tiny cellphone keyboard.
Leaves a person in a poor position to deal with these kind of level of governmental intrusions
/ regulations . hec , i hardly ever even want to deal with normal landline phone calls .
"Last of the hold outs." :ninja:

You are preaching to the choir, sister. 8)

And one more thing,

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 9:58 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Seriously Australia, what are you doing?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cy/619940/

Quote:
Intrastate travel within Australia is also severely restricted. And the government of South Australia, one of the country’s six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. “We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Premier Steven Marshall explained. “I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app.”

Home based quarantine app? Forced to download? How is that even supposed to work?

They're trialling an alternative to Australia's hotel quarantine system. If it works, then low-risk arrivals will be able to quarantine at home rather than spending 2 weeks stuck in a hotel; the apps and tracking are to make sure people actually do stay home. If it doesn't work, then the alternative is just hotel quarantine.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 10:25 pm

Murihiku wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Seriously Australia, what are you doing?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cy/619940/

Quote:
Intrastate travel within Australia is also severely restricted. And the government of South Australia, one of the country’s six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. “We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Premier Steven Marshall explained. “I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app.”

Home based quarantine app? Forced to download? How is that even supposed to work?

They're trialling an alternative to Australia's hotel quarantine system. If it works, then low-risk arrivals will be able to quarantine at home rather than spending 2 weeks stuck in a hotel; the apps and tracking are to make sure people actually do stay home. If it doesn't work, then the alternative is just hotel quarantine.

This doesn't sound so bad, now that you have explained how it works.
It sounds like a good alternative to forced incarcerations in hotels that have been known to cause covid infections.

Had Gladys employed something like this on the international flight crews, we wouldn't have had the Northern Beaches outbreak. 8)

And one more thing,