Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,909
Location: Calne,England

13 Sep 2021, 12:06 am

Quote:
How do autistics with a large following handle their notifications? I’ve gained over 100 followers just today alone… my old account had almost 3000 followers


Quote's from an autistic person on Twitter.
Even with ASD there's a hierarchy of popularity. I've been on Twitter nearly 8.5 years and only have 243 followers.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,775
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

13 Sep 2021, 12:37 am

Hierarchy?.. Why do you care?

Do you want or even long the same thing for yourself or not?



If I can reply to that quote's question -- know how to prioritize, categorize, template and schedule when to reply and engage.

I understand the feeling that one must not miss out in every ping.
But not all notifications are to be examined with scrutiny.

Or, hire a social media virtual assistant.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).


firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,909
Location: Calne,England

13 Sep 2021, 12:56 am

It was more observational than anything else. That even within carrying the same dx we can be very different. She was talking about how to handle all her notifications, and I was thinking that's an 'elite autistic person's' problem .


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,775
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

13 Sep 2021, 12:59 am

firemonkey wrote:
It was more observational than anything else. That even within carrying the same dx we can be very different. She was talking about how to handle all her notifications, and I was thinking that's an 'elite autistic person's' problem .

Really... Hm.


So why care or thought about that her problem of hers? :twisted:

May I know what do you want to know out of it? And, perhaps, what (observations) are you trying to point out?


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).


1986
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 393

13 Sep 2021, 1:02 am

Isn't that quote just a clumsy humblebrag?

I remember I got down when I tried a new social media and people weren't interacting with my posts. My doc said "What are you? A teenage girl?", and that promptly marked the end to my hurt feelings.



firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,909
Location: Calne,England

13 Sep 2021, 2:07 am

1986 wrote:
Isn't that quote just a clumsy humblebrag?

I remember I got down when I tried a new social media and people weren't interacting with my posts. My doc said "What are you? A teenage girl?", and that promptly marked the end to my hurt feelings.


Those are good points.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,909
Location: Calne,England

13 Sep 2021, 2:08 am

Edna3362 wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
It was more observational than anything else. That even within carrying the same dx we can be very different. She was talking about how to handle all her notifications, and I was thinking that's an 'elite autistic person's' problem .

Really... Hm.


So why care or thought about that her problem of hers? :twisted:

May I know what do you want to know out of it? And, perhaps, what (observations) are you trying to point out?


I detect an underlying degree of aggression.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,775
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

13 Sep 2021, 2:18 am

firemonkey wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
It was more observational than anything else. That even within carrying the same dx we can be very different. She was talking about how to handle all her notifications, and I was thinking that's an 'elite autistic person's' problem .

Really... Hm.


So why care or thought about that her problem of hers? :twisted:

May I know what do you want to know out of it? And, perhaps, what (observations) are you trying to point out?


I detect an underlying degree of aggression.

No. Seriously. I'm curious.

I genuinely do not understand what you really meant by hierarchy, 'elite autistic people', and whatever you are pointing in comparing your account towards someone else's.

So I'm inquiring -- why? What are you studying? What are you observing here? I do not see it.


Unless this thread is actually meant for Haven than general discussion...
Then you've read me wrong and I apologize for my language that caused you to. Or wording. I suck at it.


There is no shame in saying 'I don't know'.
Regardless -- you are entitled not to answer or ignore my inquires.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,463
Location: temperate zone

13 Sep 2021, 3:13 am

firemonkey wrote:
Quote:
How do autistics with a large following handle their notifications? I’ve gained over 100 followers just today alone… my old account had almost 3000 followers


Quote's from an autistic person on Twitter.
Even with ASD there's a hierarchy of popularity. I've been on Twitter nearly 8.5 years and only have 243 followers.


Yet you both have the same diagnosis?

Thats an absurd statement.

Lets say you have a NT sibling. It would be like your NT sister complaining about how Trump (back when he was allowed on the platform)"has more followers than I do on Twitter even though we are both NT!! !! !".

Aspies are no more alike than NTs are like each other. :lol:

The person is different, their situation is different, the amount of energy they invest in social media is different.

And as someone above said... that person is actually bragging and not complaining.



firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,909
Location: Calne,England

13 Sep 2021, 4:17 am

Edna3362 wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
It was more observational than anything else. That even within carrying the same dx we can be very different. She was talking about how to handle all her notifications, and I was thinking that's an 'elite autistic person's' problem .

Really... Hm.


So why care or thought about that her problem of hers? :twisted:

May I know what do you want to know out of it? And, perhaps, what (observations) are you trying to point out?


I detect an underlying degree of aggression.

No. Seriously. I'm curious.

I genuinely do not understand what you really meant by hierarchy, 'elite autistic people', and whatever you are pointing in comparing your account towards someone else's.

So I'm inquiring -- why? What are you studying? What are you observing here? I do not see it.


Unless this thread is actually meant for Haven than general discussion...
Then you've read me wrong and I apologize for my language that caused you to. Or wording. I suck at it.



There is no shame in saying 'I don't know'.
Regardless -- you are entitled not to answer or ignore my inquires.


If I misconstrued,I apologise.
It's just something I've noticed since being on Twitter . That there's a vast difference between autistic people in the ability to make connections with others. I well and truly suck at it. The 'elite' bit is that Autistic Twitter has quite a lot of ' 'Ive just got a 1st class degree/got an incredible job/had my book published etc,while having the worst autistic symptoms you could ever imagine' types.They're also very intimidating when it comes to things like language usage. Not the quality, but which phrases/words are acceptable or not.

A lot of them are more than a little militant when it comes to their attitude re NTs. I'm quite into politics (in the buffer zone between being a social democrat and democratic socialist) but autism 'politics' is a lot more intense.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


VanessaHoward
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 13 Sep 2021
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 1
Location: USA

13 Sep 2021, 4:27 am

It's a shame to be on Twitter for so many years and to have such a small number of readers)))



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,418
Location: wales

13 Sep 2021, 6:26 am

firemonkey wrote:
It was more observational than anything else. That even within carrying the same dx we can be very different. She was talking about how to handle all her notifications, and I was thinking that's an 'elite autistic person's' problem .


What is an elite autistic person?

Edit: sorry I read your other post and understand now. Yeah being an elite autistic might be a sign one does not have ASD at all.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 78,602
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Sep 2021, 6:33 am

Twitter is no judge of character.

How can one assess a person based upon a few words of text?

I have NO followers on Twitter….because I don’t see the point.



Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,775
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

13 Sep 2021, 6:54 am

firemonkey wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
It was more observational than anything else. That even within carrying the same dx we can be very different. She was talking about how to handle all her notifications, and I was thinking that's an 'elite autistic person's' problem .

Really... Hm.


So why care or thought about that her problem of hers? :twisted:

May I know what do you want to know out of it? And, perhaps, what (observations) are you trying to point out?


I detect an underlying degree of aggression.

No. Seriously. I'm curious.

I genuinely do not understand what you really meant by hierarchy, 'elite autistic people', and whatever you are pointing in comparing your account towards someone else's.

So I'm inquiring -- why? What are you studying? What are you observing here? I do not see it.


Unless this thread is actually meant for Haven than general discussion...
Then you've read me wrong and I apologize for my language that caused you to. Or wording. I suck at it.



There is no shame in saying 'I don't know'.
Regardless -- you are entitled not to answer or ignore my inquires.


If I misconstrued,I apologise.
It's just something I've noticed since being on Twitter . That there's a vast difference between autistic people in the ability to make connections with others. I well and truly suck at it. The 'elite' bit is that Autistic Twitter has quite a lot of ' 'Ive just got a 1st class degree/got an incredible job/had my book published etc,while having the worst autistic symptoms you could ever imagine' types.They're also very intimidating when it comes to things like language usage. Not the quality, but which phrases/words are acceptable or not.

A lot of them are more than a little militant when it comes to their attitudes re NTs. I'm quite into politics (in the buffer zone between being a social democrat and democratic socialist) but autism 'politics' is a lot more intense.

I see...

Alright. Apology accepted. :o


So it... Boils down to the usual division of functioning levels, a topic in context not very different to this thread?
Quote:


Ah well.


The SJW bit is in twitter setting in general, and is not limited to autism.
But the idea that around autism, it's intense than average seems worth acquainting the observation.

And one upping another bit -- "doing better while having it worse" -- is natural in most social media settings.
But mixing autism into the mix... I think I can see where it is going.


But yes, I do notice such kind of wording and pattern exists -- ones very prominent to politics, philosophy, religion, activism...

Or the type whose life seem like they had to together. :lol: Having this weird story telling of their life.


Personally...
I could care less if someone has 10 or 1,000,000 followers. :lol:

If I met a person with 'reputation', I don't immediately put them in a pedestal in my head or compare counts with it.
At all. No matter how much official credit this person has.

No matter how he or she carries him/herself. No matter how this person actually has a power command something over.


Maybe because I'm too asocial. :lol: And possibly desensitize in that area.
Whether or not I'm good or bad at connecting people, I likely wouldn't know or care.

I place myself in neither places -- I say let them play in their little sandboxes as long as no one gets in my way. :twisted:


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).


firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,909
Location: Calne,England

13 Sep 2021, 8:26 am

If I was to say that I'm conflicted that would be putting it mildly. If anyone gets too personal I go into ultra avoidant mode. However I do enjoy some virtual interaction. I'm just not very good at it. To put it bluntly,I'm socially inept. The two places I seem to fit in best are a schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders forum and FB high IQ groups. The latter accept me even though I'm much older than most of them, relatively dumb in comparison and not a uni graduate.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,909
Location: Calne,England

13 Sep 2021, 8:35 am

^^ Then there's the Tweets with lists of ND people you're encouraged to follow.


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)