Sean Connery’s James Bond a rapist says current director

Page 5 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 12:31 pm

I just don't see how saying that the first James Bond is a rapist is supposed to help promote the franchise.

That would be like a police force wanting to attract new candidates and they put up an advertisement saying "police officer Derek Chauvin was a murderer... Come join the police!"

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 8:40 pm

ironpony wrote:
I just don't see how saying that the first James Bond is a rapist is supposed to help promote the franchise.

That would be like a police force wanting to attract new candidates and they put up an advertisement saying "police officer Derek Chauvin was a murderer... Come join the police!"

I don't know, wouldn't it be acknowledging a problematic past, with the promise of not repeating it in future, which could encourage people to see a movie that they might have already felt the franchise was a little skeevy? More like acknowledging a past product had a defect, which they won't repeat in the future. It is basic marketing.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2022, 12:28 pm

if that was the intention though, it feels like they are overstating the obvious as the Connery Bond movies were from the '60s and it's been a long time since then and they haven't repeated Bond being that way since the 70s. so it comes off as they're preaching to the choir at this point if that makes sense?

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 10:29 pm

55 yrs ago : YOLT premiere (first 007 i saw back in '88 , Osato died same yr)
45 yrs ago : TSWLM premiere , it more or less saved the franchise
40 yrs ago : Curt Jurgens RIP (Stromberg)
35 yrs ago : TLD premiere , after 12 yrs of Moore theres a new 007 : Dalton

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 9:43 am

40 yrs since Oddjob died , wrestler Harold Sakata

He used to welcome tourists in Hawaii