Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,091
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

03 Oct 2021, 3:48 am

The water wars are already starting, the Colorado river is getting sucked dry...


Only a matter of time till the water is controlled by some crazy Australian overlord and it is mad max world for real. Idk maybe me and my boyfriend can still create a painting bunker where all the surviving warhammer people can come to paint what is left of the Warhammer francize and fight on table top games while the water wars go on further outside.

Just give it a couple years and the west will look like the dust bowl once again...



chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 19 Jul 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 160
Location: Melbourne, Australia

03 Oct 2021, 5:07 am

Don’t worry… After over 18 months of lockdown, working from home and doing family life, we’ve bloody lost it over in Australia. You may well be correct.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,091
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

03 Oct 2021, 5:28 am

chaosmos wrote:
Don’t worry… After over 18 months of lockdown, working from home and doing family life, we’ve bloody lost it over in Australia. You may well be correct.


Well at this point though, I might prefer a crazy Australian for president over the possibility of Trump getting reinstated. I guess they do not have to be Australian but if they were I would not complain, unfortunately the Australian I think may have made the best president got killed by a sting ray. That still hurts, I watched crocodile hunter for quite a time as a kid and now....well now, no more Steve. *cry emoji* Idk what do Australian people think of ole Steve Irwin?



DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,574
Location: Northern California

03 Oct 2021, 5:40 am

Southern California (and a few other places) needs to do its part. They don’t have their own water; they get it from elsewhere; but that distance seems to allow them to not give a fig what they suck dry. We’re supposed to drop usage 20%; theirs went up instead.


_________________
Mom to an amazing young adult AS son, plus an also amazing non-AS daughter. Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,091
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

03 Oct 2021, 5:52 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Southern California (and a few other places) needs to do its part. They don’t have their own water; they get it from elsewhere; but that distance seems to allow them to not give a fig what they suck dry. We’re supposed to drop usage 20%; theirs went up instead.


Well I am over in Colorado and I can say we are still wasting a lot of water on lawns of non-native grass when that water should probably be reserved and not used on a crop thats only benefit is a display of green grass that is not even native to the area. People don't really benefit from it, animals don't really yet we insist on wasting water on the big green just to keep our aesthetic lawns...well with what is going on shouldnn't we be past the point of people with Mc-mansions getting to hog so much water for a waste that plus businesses that wont just stop watering useless lawns. We don't need lawns, water is running short...so why are we wasting water on lawns still. When there is an imminent drinkable water shortage.

What is the point a nice green lawn with no water to drink, for what....what use is watering a lawn, is that lawn going to produce drinkable water when it dies yet instead of hydrating themselves people tried to squeeze water out of a dry tumble weed and failed all while watering their lawns to keep em green at the expense of their own health and wellbeing till they just became dust in the Mars atmosphere. Idk maybe we could still try and save this planet...but it is probably too late, Iceland is already melting.



chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 19 Jul 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 160
Location: Melbourne, Australia

03 Oct 2021, 7:27 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
chaosmos wrote:
Don’t worry… After over 18 months of lockdown, working from home and doing family life, we’ve bloody lost it over in Australia. You may well be correct.


Well at this point though, I might prefer a crazy Australian for president over the possibility of Trump getting reinstated. I guess they do not have to be Australian but if they were I would not complain, unfortunately the Australian I think may have made the best president got killed by a sting ray. That still hurts, I watched crocodile hunter for quite a time as a kid and now....well now, no more Steve. *cry emoji* Idk what do Australian people think of ole Steve Irwin?


I didn’t really watch Steve Irwin… I guess he was iconic.
I was more of a Russell Coight All Aussie Adventures fan haha! :D :D



QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,633
Location: Midwest

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,941
Location: temperate zone

03 Oct 2021, 1:01 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
https://www.science.org/content/article/new-solar-powered-device-can-pull-water-straight-desert-air

The one debunked in the below video is a different system than the one in your article. But even so ...I am skeptical of relying on any "water from thin air" machine. Basically just solar powered dehumidifiers placed outdoors- they work great at pulling water out of the air...in places that dont need them (like London England, or Washington D.C., or the Amazon) where there is lotsa of humidity, but also lots of rain, and plenty of rivers and bodies of fresh water. But the machines produce little water in areas of low humidity ...like deserts- where they are needed! :lol:



Last edited by naturalplastic on 03 Oct 2021, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,574
Location: Northern California

03 Oct 2021, 1:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Southern California (and a few other places) needs to do its part. They don’t have their own water; they get it from elsewhere; but that distance seems to allow them to not give a fig what they suck dry. We’re supposed to drop usage 20%; theirs went up instead.


Well I am over in Colorado and I can say we are still wasting a lot of water on lawns of non-native grass when that water should probably be reserved and not used on a crop thats only benefit is a display of green grass that is not even native to the area. People don't really benefit from it, animals don't really yet we insist on wasting water on the big green just to keep our aesthetic lawns...well with what is going on shouldnn't we be past the point of people with Mc-mansions getting to hog so much water for a waste that plus businesses that wont just stop watering useless lawns. We don't need lawns, water is running short...so why are we wasting water on lawns still. When there is an imminent drinkable water shortage.

What is the point a nice green lawn with no water to drink, for what....what use is watering a lawn, is that lawn going to produce drinkable water when it dies yet instead of hydrating themselves people tried to squeeze water out of a dry tumble weed and failed all while watering their lawns to keep em green at the expense of their own health and wellbeing till they just became dust in the Mars atmosphere. Idk maybe we could still try and save this planet...but it is probably too late, Iceland is already melting.


We should all want to save it.

I have trouble getting angry about all green lawns, however, because they can be preserved using gray water, and that isn’t too hard to set up.


_________________
Mom to an amazing young adult AS son, plus an also amazing non-AS daughter. Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,312
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

04 Oct 2021, 12:18 pm

Yep.

Wars used to be fought over oil for energy supremacy. Next up it will be water for survival.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 15,457
Location: I'm right here

04 Oct 2021, 2:01 pm

Do I gotta ruin a Falcon XB like the movie did? :cry:


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う