Anyone here have a logic processing disability?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

meatball4u
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 2 Oct 2021
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 17

03 Oct 2021, 10:37 am

It's really common to hear about autistic people being logic obsessed or very gifted in logical abilities, usually at the expense of more intuitive abilities.

I'm not like that at all. I very much struggle with logic to the point that I have a hard time in arguments with people who try and manipulate me with logic. Or I can't debate well in person or online, I don't follow the other person's logic.

What I am strong in is big-picture thinking and making a gestalt of a person. I rely in my intuition and perception to evaluate a person or problem, and I'm better at it than most people. It's as if I see the forest well, but not the trees.

Being like this caused me to miss seeking autism diagnosis for decades, as I just don't fit the stereotype that society believes about autism. It wasn't until I got onto aspie forums that I realized I had to be autistic and needed to get tested. Also I find that I share more in common with female aspies being a man than I do male, which is another reason why I missed early diagnosis as they more often slip under the radar



Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Sep 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 675

03 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm

Hello meatball4u,

Welcome to the forum!

I can't say I struggle to the same extent with logic, but I can relate to what you say, in that I was late diagnosed, the whole woman thing likely affected that.

I have an issue with my intuition and logic playing tug of war. It is hell to pick a side for me because for my brain there is no side. Each person's perspective/logic from where they are looking is right/correct for them, so I don't get why anyone would argue about it. Never did understand trying to convince or best someone by using logic.

What is your intuition like?



meatball4u
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 2 Oct 2021
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 17

03 Oct 2021, 12:53 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
Hello meatball4u,

Welcome to the forum!

I can't say I struggle to the same extent with logic, but I can relate to what you say, in that I was late diagnosed, the whole woman thing likely affected that.

I have an issue with my intuition and logic playing tug of war. It is hell to pick a side for me because for my brain there is no side. Each person's perspective/logic from where they are looking is right/correct for them, so I don't get why anyone would argue about it. Never did understand trying to convince or best someone by using logic.

What is your intuition like?


I can intuit many people's inner desires at once, and propose solutions that can appease all parties involved. I make for a natural diplomat. People frequently remark I am great at solving personal problems, and they come to me frequently for life advice and psychoanalysis. I know this is a strength of mine which led me to study psychology in uni.

People also say they like my creativity and artistic sense. I have made music a little in the past and got high praise for it. I've thought a lot lately that I should have persued art school instead of heading into the usual liberal arts unis



Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Sep 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 675

03 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm

These are all wonderful strengths in my opinion. Thank you for sharing them.

You remind me of a Star Trek Next Gen character who was a diplomat much as you describe. :)

Do you still explore your musical and artistic talents, even without pursuing university?



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,696
Location: UK

03 Oct 2021, 1:36 pm

I am not a logical thinker. Well, everybody sometimes looks at things from a logical point of view, but generally I wouldn't call myself a logical thinker. I'm very irrational and I see things from an emotional point of view. Sometimes I feel that NTs can switch their emotions off when they want and can see things logically instead, like ''I don't enjoy my job but I know I have to still go and do it because I have bills to pay'', where as a person with AS or ADHD like me is like ''I don't like my job, I can't face going there at all, I am so anxious and depressed every day, I shouldn't have to go on like this''. I wish I could just see things logically. I think life is so much easier when you have good logical sense of things.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 15,446
Location: I'm right here

03 Oct 2021, 1:43 pm

We have a number of posters who demonstrate some deficits when it comes to logical processing.
Those deficits seem to impair their ability to recognize said deficits though, so some of them are prone to self-identifying as logical thinkers.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,085

03 Oct 2021, 1:55 pm

I consider myself to be very logical and very feeling. It frustrates me when people think b/c I am feeling I am not logical. Grrrr. I am both. However, I can't come to a logical conclusion many times b/c there's too much input or missing input and I can be gaslighted very easily as I can't articulate it - so in that way is it intuition? I am very intuitive. At work I would put out an observation, idea or suggestion and other (helpful) people would provide context and flesh it out for me. At the very first objection I floundered. Panic? Much later I would see the concern clearly and have the correct response. Sigh. If that's a logic processing disability surprise to me. Fairly typical for the ASD person to what to "control" the information/logic flow. I am learning to pause and calm myself so I can respond more immediately - at least that's the hope. Still if I can't gauge things like if I did well or not, if somebody is treating me well or not. I don't see that as a problem of logic, but rather criteria.



meatball4u
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 2 Oct 2021
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 17

03 Oct 2021, 2:04 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
These are all wonderful strengths in my opinion. Thank you for sharing them.

You remind me of a Star Trek Next Gen character who was a diplomat much as you describe. :)

Do you still explore your musical and artistic talents, even without pursuing university?


Speaking of Star Trek, I often feel like a male Diana Troy. I would love to perdue my talents, but unfortunately I became chronically I'll and disabled out of the stress of trying to fit into the NT world. I didn't think I was autistic until after I burned out. My expectations were wrong for too long :(



meatball4u
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 2 Oct 2021
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 17

03 Oct 2021, 2:07 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I am not a logical thinker. Well, everybody sometimes looks at things from a logical point of view, but generally I wouldn't call myself a logical thinker. I'm very irrational and I see things from an emotional point of view. Sometimes I feel that NTs can switch their emotions off when they want and can see things logically instead, like ''I don't enjoy my job but I know I have to still go and do it because I have bills to pay'', where as a person with AS or ADHD like me is like ''I don't like my job, I can't face going there at all, I am so anxious and depressed every day, I shouldn't have to go on like this''. I wish I could just see things logically. I think life is so much easier when you have good logical sense of things.


My forum name in many places was NonRational for a long time lol. I also relate to women on the spectrum more often than men, we have many more similarities



Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,240
Location: Pennsylvania

03 Oct 2021, 3:00 pm

I think debates are not about logic. They are about power. They are about picking and choosing facts and trying to construct a "logical" sounding argument to serve a specific goal, and denying, avoiding or minimizing facts and people who try to bring up facts that to not support the power or goal they are aiming for.

But I could be wrong - I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again.

Welcome to wrongplanet - I hope it is right for you.


_________________
ADHD-I(diagnosed) ASD-HF(undiagnosed - maybe)
RDOS scores - Aspie score 131/200 - neurotypical score 69/200 - very likely Aspie


meatball4u
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 2 Oct 2021
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 17

03 Oct 2021, 3:46 pm

Fenn wrote:
I think debates are not about logic. They are about power. They are about picking and choosing facts and trying to construct a "logical" sounding argument to serve a specific goal, and denying, avoiding or minimizing facts and people who try to bring up facts that to not support the power or goal they are aiming for.

But I could be wrong - I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again.

Welcome to wrongplanet - I hope it is right for you.


You have a point in that what often changes a person's mind in a debate/argument is outside of logic. I have had to rely on this reality my whole life, when I've learned to use creative means of persuasion.

But what I really wish I had was enough logic to prove things. Like to prove someone wrong, for instance. Many people use faulty logic as a rhetorical strategy to sound impressive or end a conversation, so having a quick logical wit can help prevent these sorts of outs from becoming a constant problem. Persuasion takes a collection of skills, I find



Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,984
Location: Outter Quadrant

03 Oct 2021, 4:00 pm

meatball4u wrote:
Shellbelle wrote:
These are all wonderful strengths in my opinion. Thank you for sharing them.

You remind me of a Star Trek Next Gen character who was a diplomat much as you describe. :)

Do you still explore your musical and artistic talents, even without pursuing university?


Speaking of Star Trek, I often feel like a male Diana Troy. I would love to perdue my talents, but unfortunately I became chronically I'll and disabled out of the stress of trying to fit into the NT world. I didn't think I was autistic until after I burned out. My expectations were wrong for too long :(


i can understand the idea of becoming severely ill in dealing with NT s and not realizing that besides previous physical disabilities . That my autism had been criplling me in life . Had relied on intuition and empathy for upteen years honed in some rather violent on going very early experiences but did not prepare me for dealing with NT s behaving extremely deceptively in large groups . One on one
i was quite adept. It was almost a relief in my ability to understand alittle better about life After my later diagnosis of Autism. . Had many people acting in groups to try to remove what little possesions and sanity, i was trying to preserve. . And almost many times with these issues seem to be a day to day fight to be alive and survive .
am also a big fan of Next Generation Star Trek and i hope perhaps you get to follow your artistic,aspirations ! In some manner . :D


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


meatball4u
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 2 Oct 2021
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 17

03 Oct 2021, 5:57 pm

Fenn wrote:
I think debates are not about logic. They are about power. They are about picking and choosing facts and trying to construct a "logical" sounding argument to serve a specific goal, and denying, avoiding or minimizing facts and people who try to bring up facts that to not support the power or goal they are aiming for.

But I could be wrong - I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again.

Welcome to wrongplanet - I hope it is right for you.


You have a point in that what often changes a person's mind in a debate/argument is outside of logic. I have had to rely on this reality my whole life, when I've learned to use creative means of persuasion.

But what I really wish I had was enough logic to prove things. Like to prove someone wrong, for instance. Many people use faulty logic as a rhetorical strategy to sound impressive or end a conversation, so having a quick logical wit can help prevent these sorts of outs from becoming a constant problem. Persuasion takes a collection of skills, I find



Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,984
Location: Outter Quadrant

03 Oct 2021, 8:23 pm

uuhh... Ohhh..


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Sep 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 675

04 Oct 2021, 3:10 pm

meatball4u wrote:
Fenn wrote:
I think debates are not about logic. They are about power. They are about picking and choosing facts and trying to construct a "logical" sounding argument to serve a specific goal, and denying, avoiding or minimizing facts and people who try to bring up facts that to not support the power or goal they are aiming for.

But I could be wrong - I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again.

Welcome to wrongplanet - I hope it is right for you.


You have a point in that what often changes a person's mind in a debate/argument is outside of logic. I have had to rely on this reality my whole life, when I've learned to use creative means of persuasion.

But what I really wish I had was enough logic to prove things. Like to prove someone wrong, for instance. Many people use faulty logic as a rhetorical strategy to sound impressive or end a conversation, so having a quick logical wit can help prevent these sorts of outs from becoming a constant problem. Persuasion takes a collection of skills, I find


I wonder about this a bit. What Fenn says is something I think has a good premise. When people argue, it isn't usually about logic, it is about power, and often the person's ability to persuade is based on other, emotional, or status-related, factors, not the logical soundness of the argument. If logic is what was most persuasive, I'd think we may see fewer social issues, inequalities etc. Instead, the most persuasive people are those who inspire emotional responses in their audiences. If you are adept at being intuitive, perhaps relying on that strength is what will enable you to be considered more persuasive.

My hope would be the talent would be used for productive and altruistic motives. It does seem- and please correct me if I am misreading this- if you want to "win" or convince others to think a certain way you are seeking power over them, or trying to control them or their thoughts and ideas in some way. Personally, I don't think that is a positive or constructive thing, and in my mind equates to abusive behavior towards others.



Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,084
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

04 Oct 2021, 3:21 pm

Hmm...

It's not logic by itself that I got issues with.

I got more issues around rationalizing, :lol: sticking to complicated specifics, memory issues in real time, maybe dealing with a lot of gaps of knowledge and being linear itself.

Able to arrange something into more linear is huge in logic and language.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).