Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jollyio
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2021, 10:09 am

I seriously, really don't get it... especially when there's food, fuel shortages, to worship the maker of such chaos... like, really? I'm not even sure what person I 'like' most (it's more of an 'interest' in what they do, not so much them as a person, I suppose this is a crucial difference), but even if it's some scientist, or even composer of music I often listen to... I don't worship them... and they're not literally so mismanaging everything that shops have empty shelves. At this point, I'm not even sure these cultists will even change their mind about some blonde Jabba even if they're about to starve to death due to their idol. I've honestly no idea how humans haven't gone extinct long ago...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 10:14 am

Why? Because humans are resilient beings.

Saying this, I believe "cultish behavior" is rubbish.

For better, or for worse, we humans are going to be on Earth for a while. There's no avoiding that.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 9:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why? Because humans are resilient beings.

Saying this, I believe "cultish behavior" is rubbish.

For better, or for worse, we humans are going to be on Earth for a while. There's no avoiding that.

True, but it might be humans will live in windswept communites near the poles for a few thousand years, if they don't learn and rise above "leaders" like aforementioned Bojo the clown some time this century

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 9:30 pm

jollyio wrote:
I seriously, really don't get it... especially when there's food, fuel shortages, to worship the maker of such chaos... like, really? I'm not even sure what person I 'like' most (it's more of an 'interest' in what they do, not so much them as a person, I suppose this is a crucial difference), but even if it's some scientist, or even composer of music I often listen to... I don't worship them... and they're not literally so mismanaging everything that shops have empty shelves. At this point, I'm not even sure these cultists will even change their mind about some blonde Jabba even if they're about to starve to death due to their idol. I've honestly no idea how humans haven't gone extinct long ago...

what's worse than making a bad decision? - having to admit you made a bad decision.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 8:33 am

You ought to read Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Martin. Its very eye opening.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 10:01 am

The idea that cults only belong to religion is long outdated.

Social media allow like minded people to communicate, also people tend to go to places online that share their views which re-enforces beliefs on a subject.

The result is an explosion of multiple political and SJW cults in recent years.

- George Bernie Shaw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 1:41 pm

jollyio wrote:
Why does cultish behaviour exist?
Three ideas seem essential to the concept of a cult: (1) Thinking in terms of 'us' versus 'them' with total alienation from 'them'; (2) Intense, though often subtle, indoctrination techniques used to recruit and hold members; and (3) the charismatic cult leader.

The cult leader must be extremely attractive to those who convert.  He or she must satisfy a fundamental need, most likely the need to have someone you can totally trust, depend on and believe in: someone who can give sense and direction to your life; provide you with purpose and meaning.  But above all, life with their 'messiah' and the other cult members must satisfy some fundamental need.  Some studies have found that a significant number of cult members are depressed before joining, and the cult lifts their spirits, makes them feel much better.  Even if they aren't depressed, cult membership must be more satisfying than life in the real world with one's real family.

Cultism usually involves some sort of belief that outside the cult all is evil and threatening; inside the cult is the special path to salvation through the cult leader and his teachings.  One gets love, a sense of belonging, of fulfilling a special purpose, of being protected, of being free from the evils of the world, of being on the path to eternal salvation, of having power.

If cults did not promise to satisfy desires that life outside the cults fail to satisfy, cults would probably not exist.

Imagine that you are a member of class of people who once enjoyed social and political 'privileges' over and above the ordinary 'rights' of everyone else, only to see the lower classes earn the same 'privileges' you once thought were reserved for people just like you.  You feel constantly threatened and depressed, and then along comes a charismatic person who promises to take back society and make it the way it used to be when people like you were in charge and no one questioned the status quo.

Thus the Cult of Trump was born.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 2:23 pm

I agree with Fnord about *needs being satisfied*.

I think there's another component ... *intense brain-washing*.

speculation: most people are susceptible to intense brain-washing.

Be the hero of your life.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 2:54 pm

Uncritically believing the government and media seems pretty cultish.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 8:17 pm

Interesting theory I saw recently in the context of a show character: the people most likely to fall for cult influence are actually smart and capable people who pride themselves on being "independent thinkers" but who have also fallen into severe disillusionment or recent disconnect, which makes them vulnerable.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 6:53 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Interesting theory I saw recently in the context of a show character: the people most likely to fall for cult influence are actually smart and capable people who pride themselves on being "independent thinkers" but who have also fallen into severe disillusionment or recent disconnect, which makes them vulnerable.

So......Trump supporters?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 7:55 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

I wasn’t thinking politics at all when I posted that. Just an explanation for how people I thought would never fall for some things actually have.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 8:03 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

I wasn’t thinking politics at all when I posted that. Just an explanation for how people I thought would never fall for some things actually have.

The Church of Scientology, for example, is full of very successful and intelligent people. I don't think falling into a cult is a matter of being a "dumb" person so much as a cult (or even a gang) provides something that a person wants that is missing in their lives.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 8:44 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

The Church of Scientology, for example, is full of very successful and intelligent people. I don't think falling into a cult is a matter of being a "dumb" person so much as a cult (or even a gang) provides something that a person wants that is missing in their lives.

Agreed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 8:50 am

Maybe the folks who get into Scientology, say, are weary from being skeptical and cynical, so they fall for any harebrained idea that appeals to them.

My mother is highly skeptical of most things----but she is very sure of her "spirituality."

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 7:59 am

I think another motivation of people who get involved in "cultish" groups do so out of a desire to be in an elite social category that confers upon them special position in society.