Confederate killer tries to cancel himself

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 12:53 am

Travis McMichael and his father, Gregory McMichael, decided to chase after 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery because he was Black, including testimony from a state law enforcement agent who says he called the dying man the N-word moments after their encounter.

Now Travis McMichael is doing everything he can to show race was not a factor in the killing of Black jogger Ahmaud Arbery.
In a bizarre turn of events, McMichael has asked that an image of his licence plate not be used in court
https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3dyjm/ ... rder-trial
This is what he is trying to hide

Why hide it? The state of Georgia adopted the Confederate flag as their own in 1956 as an act of defiance in the years that followed the landmark Supreme Court decision school segregation in the landmark Brown v. Board of Education case.

The McMichaels and accomplice Willie Bryan have now all been charged with murder and aggravated assault.
The murder has forced the state of Georgia to finally do away with its antiquated citizen’s arrest law,

its funny how right wingers are so against cancel culture but the moment they have to account for their actions they hide behind their mother's skirts :roll:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 1:16 am

That's not what canceling means.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 1:52 am

I agree with Dox47. I am confused where the connection to cancel culture is.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 6:06 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I agree with Dox47. I am confused where the connection to cancel culture is.

There is none, it's just buzzword bingo.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 7:00 am

If you accidently caused the wrongful death of your neighbor -who just happened to have been an owner of a mink farm, and who also hunted deer- you might hastily scrap off that PETA bumper sticker off of your car- like before the cops arrive to snap pictures.

Would that be an example of "cancelling yourself"? :lol:

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 8:32 am

It seems weird to me that Willie Bryan is being charged with murder.

He only filmed it.

Be the hero of your life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 8:50 am

The father and son were chasing after the guy. What did they do before they gave chase? It seems like they assaulted him.

In 1986, in Howard Beach, Queens, New York, a gang of white people chased a black man. When the black man got to a highway in the course of being chased, he was hit by 2 cars, and died. Members of the white gang were convicted of murder because the black man was forced to run into the highway by the white gang chasing him.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 11:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The father and son were chasing after the guy. What did they do before they gave chase? It seems like they assaulted him.

All three were chasing him with their vehicles.

They started chasing him because he entered an open garage of a neighbor's home and they suspected he stole something.

There was no assault before the chase.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 11:22 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

He only filmed it.

If I drive the car you shoot someone from we both get charged with murder.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 11:25 am

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

He only filmed it.

They were in separate cars and Bryan arrived after the confrontation started, as seen in the video, because he's filming it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 11:29 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

He only filmed it.

They were in separate cars and Bryan arrived after the confrontation started, as seen in the video, because he's filming it.

I'm aware of those details. Willie Bryan participated in the murder even if he didn't pull the trigger, that's the logic behind why he's been charged with murder just like how in the example I gave the driver is a participant in the murder.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 11:54 am

I think the OP was trying to say that the suspect would ordinarily be against removal of the confederate flag from anyplace, but now actually wants it removed from his personal vehicle since it can be to his detriment.

I see the irony, good point OP. Still, I think "cancel culture" was the wrong term to use. I think cancel culture actually refers to the idea that a person can be "cancelled" for expressing an opinion that isn't trendy, costing them a career, an audience, a platform, etc. Basically, it's an extension of "the court of public opinion." In this case, the suspect isn't being "canceled" per se for his beliefs, he's literally going to a legal courtroom and being charged with a crime.

Also, wouldn't surprise me it was actually his lawyer's idea for damage control.

naturalplastic wrote:
If you accidently caused the wrongful death of your neighbor -who just happened to have been an owner of a mink farm, and who also hunted deer- you might hastily scrap off that PETA bumper sticker off of your car- like before the cops arrive to snap pictures.

Good point.

In a way, it's not about the suspect cancelling himself, but rather the suspect trying to avoid being cancelled.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 12:43 pm

In any case, people who still support the Confederacy deserve to be “cancelled”, imho.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 12:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Would that be an example of "cancelling yourself"? :lol:

No, that's just trying to cover up an inconvenient association, cancellation is more akin to being anathematized from society, often at the cost of your friends, reputation, and occupation. Self cancellation isn't really possible, though confessing to some perceived sin without prompting and preemptively resigning in disgrace comes closest.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 5:05 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I I think cancel culture actually refers to the idea that a person can be "cancelled" for expressing an opinion that isn't trendy, costing them a career, an audience, a platform, etc. Basically, it's an extension of "the court of public opinion." In this case, the suspect isn't being "canceled" per se for his beliefs,

Well you've come closest to interpreting my post so you win the prize!!

My actual premise is that cancel culture actually doesn't exist. it's a creation/construct concocted by right wing commentators to defend their right to express racist, homophobic, sexist and antiquated thoughts intended to offend.

So back to Mr McMichaels. Southern right wingers have been foaming at the mouth in anger over attempts to outlaw the flying of the confederate flag. Mr McMichaels clearly identifies with cohort and is not afraid to publicly display a confederate flag on his licence plate so that everyone knows he's a proud confederate. I bet my entire lifesavings that McMichaels chose to do this in opposition to people who he would perceive as trying to cancel his right to fly the confederate flag so he openly put it on his number plate.

Now that he's on trial for murder he's trying his darndest to hide the flag (as per naturalplastic's analogy). Since his type invented the myth of cancel culture he is merely trying to cancel himself. I am somewhat posing the provacative question why is he no longer proud to disaply his support for the confederate flag? I thought the good o'l southern boys claim its their heritage. So why is he trying to cancel his own culture?

Before answering this question first define culture - its a way of life that includes manners, dress, art, passed down from generation to generation. The confederate flag is the most iconic cultural symbol of the white south. it has been for more than a century.

So the joke here here is he's trying hard to bury/cancel his heritage....why?

Answer: because he (and other confederate sycophants) know 100% what the flag means...and that folks is why he tried to cancel his own heritage/culture. Might be the first example of real cancel culture :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 6:25 am

People who broadcast their Confederate sympathies usually don’t like black people very much.