Students Fly Confed Flag, Black Students Punished For Protes

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,740
Location: I'm right here

19 Oct 2021, 10:16 am

After white students displayed Confederate flag at school, Black students suspended for planning protest

Quote:
Black students were suspended from their high school for planning a protest after another group of students came to school waving a Confederate flag.

Last week, a group of students at Coosa High School in Rome, Ga., were filmed waving the Confederate flag and hurling racial slurs.

Newsweek reported that the four students filmed were carrying the Confederate flag in favor of "farm day" on school spirit day, which led up to homecoming.

They did not face any repercussions.

In response, many students said the school did not do much to reprimand the students carrying the flag, and a protest was planned to bring awareness to the problem, CBS 46 Atlanta reported.

However, the school administration suspended several students who were planning the protest. Student protesters told CBS 46 that only Black students were suspended.

"The administration is aware of tomorrow's planned protest," the administrator said over the intercom before the planned demonstration. "Police will be present here at school and if students insist on encouraging this kind of activity they will be disciplined for encouraging unrest."

Two white students participating in the Friday protest were not suspended, even though they claimed to be as disruptive as the Black students, CBS reported.

In Floyd County, which includes Coosa High School, 8 percent of Black students were suspended, the highest percentage of any race, CBS reported.

According to county data, Floyd County is made up of 70 percent white people, 14 percent Black people and about 8 percent Hispanic people.


It sounds like yet another example of racism = good, opposing racism = bad.


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,363
Location: Tulsa, OK

19 Oct 2021, 12:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
After white students displayed Confederate flag at school, Black students suspended for planning protest

Quote:
Black students were suspended from their high school for planning a protest after another group of students came to school waving a Confederate flag.

Last week, a group of students at Coosa High School in Rome, Ga., were filmed waving the Confederate flag and hurling racial slurs.

Newsweek reported that the four students filmed were carrying the Confederate flag in favor of "farm day" on school spirit day, which led up to homecoming.

They did not face any repercussions.

In response, many students said the school did not do much to reprimand the students carrying the flag, and a protest was planned to bring awareness to the problem, CBS 46 Atlanta reported.

However, the school administration suspended several students who were planning the protest. Student protesters told CBS 46 that only Black students were suspended.

"The administration is aware of tomorrow's planned protest," the administrator said over the intercom before the planned demonstration. "Police will be present here at school and if students insist on encouraging this kind of activity they will be disciplined for encouraging unrest."

Two white students participating in the Friday protest were not suspended, even though they claimed to be as disruptive as the Black students, CBS reported.

In Floyd County, which includes Coosa High School, 8 percent of Black students were suspended, the highest percentage of any race, CBS reported.

According to county data, Floyd County is made up of 70 percent white people, 14 percent Black people and about 8 percent Hispanic people.


It sounds like yet another example of racism = good, opposing racism = bad.

Is there a link to the story?
Smells kinda like an invented controversy.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,740
Location: I'm right here

19 Oct 2021, 12:14 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Is there a link to the story?
Smells kinda like an invented controversy.


Isn't that what you say about every single well-documented racist incident posted on here? :scratch:

https://www.insider.com/black-students- ... rt-2021-10
https://www.blackenterprise.com/black-h ... est=prebid
https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... -at-school
https://www.essence.com/news/coosa-high ... rotesters/


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Red Raid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2020
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
Location: North Carolina, United States

19 Oct 2021, 1:49 pm

Dang, people still support the confederate flag? That's rough.

The sole reason of the Confederacy was the enslavement of black people. One of their VP's even made a speech about it. I don't think everyone who flies it has bad intentions. Some people use it just to express southern pride. But the flag was originally used as a symbol for a racist movement. The flag may not be racist itself but it's connection to slavery and other forms of racism throughout history is more than enough to disqualify it from respectability.

One of the more common defense's of the flag is that you can change what a flag stands for. I don't think that's very good reasoning as that is very narrow-minded. Going by that logic, can't you apply that to other flags, such as the Nazi flag for example?



Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,193

19 Oct 2021, 2:12 pm

Those were paid actors, trying to push a very dangerous narrative that will cause unrest.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,241
Location: Seattle-ish

19 Oct 2021, 2:49 pm

I'll wait for more information before passing judgement, been burned too many times by outrage bait headlines that later turned out to be more complicated than advertised.

Funny enough, I flew a stars and bars at my middle school in the late 90s (in a black neighborhood in Seattle no less) as part of an in depth civil war history project, and no one batted an eye, it wasn't considered even slightly controversial back then. My class did this thing for a whole semester where we role played as the Union and the Confederacy (2/3 of the class was Union, 1/3 Confederacy, to reflect the numerical breakdown of the nation), and we "fought" through assignments, tests and quizzes, and "esprit de corps" through costumes and flags that we wore and flew throughout the school.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my school was one of those magnet schools where they placed a gifted program in a low income neighborhood to promote "diversity" or some such (in practice, the gifted program was largely white, Jewish, and Asian, within an 85% black regular school and caused constant conflict), and literally no one ever had a problem with the civil war project despite all of the confederate paraphernalia involved in it, it just didn't carry that sort of cultural valence at the time. I saw the same thing at gunsmithing school in the early 2000s, the black guys from the south at the school (there weren't many, but they were there) had more flag stickers on their trucks and toolboxes than anyone else, it was purely seen as a regional pride thing at the time. To put an exact cultural date on it, Larry the Cableguy had just become popular, and the his catchphrase "git-r-done!" over a stars and bars was everywhere, it was just a southern thing.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,740
Location: I'm right here

19 Oct 2021, 3:23 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Those were paid actors, trying to push a very dangerous narrative that will cause unrest.


That's the usually deflection they try to use. 8)


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,523
Location: Long Island, New York

19 Oct 2021, 3:27 pm

Cancel Culture


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,018
Location: Aux Arcs

19 Oct 2021, 3:49 pm

There’s even a Dixie in Utah.When I visited a friend in that area I saw quite a few confederate flags, bumper stickers etc..,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kutv.com/a ... tahs-dixie


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,234
Location: Houston, Texas

19 Oct 2021, 4:03 pm

Rome, GA is in MTG’s congressional district.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,556

19 Oct 2021, 9:24 pm

the students said administrators suspended only the Black students involved in organizing the protest, even though other non-Black students involved told WGCL-TV they had also been disruptive and argumentative with school administrators.


A lot of schools in America seem to turn a blind eye to their students using racial slurs at sports events or posting racist videos so this doesn't particularly surprise me. but....

How stupid are the school adminstrators.
1. Isn't protest a civil right for all Americans?
2. Why select the black students for suspension?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,740
Location: I'm right here

19 Oct 2021, 9:26 pm

Misslizard wrote:
There’s even a Dixie in Utah.When I visited a friend in that area I saw quite a few confederate flags, bumper stickers etc..,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kutv.com/a ... tahs-dixie


I see them in Canada semi-frequently. One of the guys at Honda had one tattooed on his chest.


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,556

19 Oct 2021, 9:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
There’s even a Dixie in Utah.When I visited a friend in that area I saw quite a few confederate flags, bumper stickers etc..,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kutv.com/a ... tahs-dixie


I see them in Canada semi-frequently. One of the guys at Honda had one tattooed on his chest.

Canadian confederates?

I thought the Brazilians and southern US states are the only ones who miss the "good O'l dayshttps://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33245800

Image



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,018
Location: Aux Arcs

19 Oct 2021, 9:41 pm

I’ve seen them pop up on some Brit tv shows also.That flag seems to get around.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 14,740
Location: I'm right here

19 Oct 2021, 10:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
There’s even a Dixie in Utah.When I visited a friend in that area I saw quite a few confederate flags, bumper stickers etc..,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kutv.com/a ... tahs-dixie


I see them in Canada semi-frequently. One of the guys at Honda had one tattooed on his chest.

Canadian confederates?

I thought the Brazilians and southern US states are the only ones who miss the "good O'l dayshttps://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33245800

Image


In Canada I assume one of two things (not mutually exclusive), Southern diaspora and/or white supremacist.
So far I've only met one guy who actually was from the South (well, actually KY) and he was indeed a white supremacist although he had an obviously complicated relationship with it as I got to know him.


_________________
Be reasonable, demand the impossible.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,675
Location: the island of defective toy santas

19 Oct 2021, 10:38 pm

it puzzles me that there was a great reverse migration of POC back to the same south that chased them out 80 years before. :scratch: