Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,852
Location: U.S.A.

26 Oct 2021, 8:30 pm

I was wondering if anyone's gone off of taking SNRI's and what they experienced?

I am going to eventually talk to my doctor about not taking Strattera anymore, and when I look online about withdrawal symptoms it says there are none, which IMO is absolute BS since it makes me suicidal and makes my OCD act up (tics, compulsions, etc.) whenever I miss a few doses. Even if that's abnormal I doubt that there are no withdrawal side effects, especially after taking it for years.

I'd like to know what to actually expect so that transition from taking it to not taking it is more manageable and I can look out for any serious problems.


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 41,883

26 Oct 2021, 8:45 pm

I didn't know Straterra was classified as an SNRI? I googled and yup, you're right! I had no idea!

I've never taken SNRI so I can't help. My daughter took SNRI and was warned it would be really hard tapering off when she switched to an atypical SSRI. I think it turned out being easier than she expected, but that was a switch rather than discontinuing altogether.

I've quit SSRI and Tricyclics, and replaced them with others. I'm on a stimulant now for ADHD. I can go a day or two without it but then I just get really tired.

Come to think of it my boyfriend quit SNRI and had a rough time but it didn't last very long, maybe a week or two of anxiety and nausea.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,852
Location: U.S.A.

26 Oct 2021, 8:52 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I didn't know Straterra was classified as an SNRI? I googled and yup, you're right! I had no idea!

I've never taken SNRI so I can't help. My daughter took SNRI and was warned it would be really hard tapering off when she switched to an atypical SSRI. I think it turned out being easier than she expected, but that was a switch rather than discontinuing altogether.

I've quit SSRI and Tricyclics, and replaced them with others. I'm on a stimulant now for ADHD. I can go a day or two without it but then I just get really tired.

Come to think of it my boyfriend quit SNRI and had a rough time but it didn't last very long, maybe a week or two of anxiety and nausea.

I didn't even know they existed until I went on it, to be honest.

The fact you said they had a hard time is super odd. Maybe I should look up more things about SNRI's in general, but whenever I try to look up stuff specifically about Strattera I get next to no information about withdrawal symptoms. I've noticed I frequently get updated pamphlets with my prescription that have new things to look out for while taking it, so maybe they're finally realizing how many side effects can come with it, since it's relatively new.

I honestly shouldn't be taking it at all since it made me have the aforementioned issues when I started it + got dose changes, but I didn't understand how serious that was then.

What specific issues did your daughter have, if you remember any of them? Beyond the suicidal ideation and OCD issues I get intense headaches and become even more fatigued than usual. I also notice I become much more hypersensitive sensory-wise, but I was like that before Strattera (it somehow made me hyposensitive instead). I'm honestly not looking forward to going off it completely since I've never done that. lol


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,719
Location: the island of defective toy santas

26 Oct 2021, 9:08 pm

i had to quickly titrate myself off of strattera when my insurance suddenly stopped covering it. i felt like my IQ fell through the floorboards pretty quicklike.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,852
Location: U.S.A.

26 Oct 2021, 9:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i had to quickly titrate myself off of strattera when my insurance suddenly stopped covering it. i felt like my IQ fell through the floorboards pretty quicklike.

I find it very hard to concentrate when I don't have it for while (not as in ADHD-esque concentration issues, I mean it's worse than usual even with my ADHD). I also find it hard to think rationally and get easily irritated as a result. :scratch:


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 41,883

26 Oct 2021, 9:24 pm

Just to clarify neither of them were on Strattera specifically. They were both on other brands of SNRI and used them as antidepressants rather than ADHD meds. I don't know if that makes a difference considering they were still classified as SNRI, but the chemistry must be different from Strattera based on how they worked.

I know some SSRI are harder to quit than others, so I'm sure it's the same with SNRI.

My daughter is asleep but I'll ask about her transition period when I can. She's prone to emotional turbulence from trauma and she had a lot of meltdowns around the time of her SNRI / transition. She actually liked the SNRI so that wasn't an issue, but I remember she was nervous about the switch. She wasn't diagnosed HFA when she was going through all this, so she didn't know what was going on emotionally and that made it all more difficult. They switched her to an Atypical SSRI and she's doing a bit better I guess (relatively speaking), but I think her ASD diagnosis also gave her a lot of insight and she's also benefitted from being home on lockdown for nearly two years. That really cut down on the sensory-social overwhelm.

Anyway .... She was formally diagnosed with ADHD two weeks ago and ironically she has her final appointment with the neuropsychiatrist tomorrow, to receive her prescription for meds. We don't know which med they're going to prescribe yet so if it's Strattera we can ask a lot of questions and I'll let you know what they say, or what the insert says when we fill the prescription.

My partner was on a different SNRI than my daughter and not for very long. He had a hard time starting them and a hard time quitting them too. He felt sick all the time and had some PTSD outbursts when taking and when stopping. I doubt that would relate to what you're taking for ADHD though.

The worst experience I had was with a drug called Mirtazapine which is a Tetracyclic for anxiety / depression. I remember wanting to die, both in terms of suicide and in terms of feeling incredibly sick when I took it. Pounding headaches, days off work, nausea, vertigo, and wanting to kill myself. Not a good cocktail. Going off it was hell too. But that's not an SNRI.

I'll try googling for you, and I'll let you know if MD is prescribed Strattera!



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,852
Location: U.S.A.

26 Oct 2021, 9:30 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Just to clarify neither of them were on Strattera specifically. They were both on other brands of SNRI and used them as antidepressants rather than ADHD meds. I don't know if that makes a difference considering they were still classified as SNRI, but the chemistry must be different from Strattera based on how they worked.

I know some SSRI are harder to quit than others, so I'm sure it's the same with SNRI.

My daughter is asleep but I'll ask about her transition period when I can. She's prone to emotional turbulence from trauma and she had a lot of meltdowns around the time of her SNRI / transition. She actually liked the SNRI so that wasn't an issue, but I remember she was nervous about the switch. She wasn't diagnosed HFA when she was going through all this, so she didn't know what was going on emotionally and that made it all more difficult. They switched her to an Atypical SSRI and she's doing a bit better I guess (relatively speaking), but I think her ASD diagnosis also gave her a lot of insight and she's also benefitted from being home on lockdown for nearly two years. That really cut down on the sensory-social overwhelm.

Anyway .... She was formally diagnosed with ADHD two weeks ago and ironically she has her final appointment with the neuropsychiatrist tomorrow, to receive her prescription for meds. We don't know which med they're going to prescribe yet so if it's Strattera we can ask a lot of questions and I'll let you know what they say, or what the insert says when we fill the prescription.

My partner was on a different SNRI than my daughter and not for very long. He had a hard time starting them and a hard time quitting them too. He felt sick all the time and had some PTSD outbursts when taking and when stopping. I doubt that would relate to what you're taking for ADHD though.

The worst experience I had was with a drug called Mirtazapine which is a Tetracyclic for anxiety / depression. I remember wanting to die, both in terms of suicide and in terms of feeling incredibly sick when I took it. Pounding headaches, days off work, nausea, vertigo, and wanting to kill myself. Not a good cocktail. Going off it was hell too. But that's not an SNRI.

I'll try googling for you, and I'll let you know if MD is prescribed Strattera!

This is actually helpful, even though they're different SNRI's than what I'm taking, since I've thought I was crazy for being more prone to outbursts and meltdowns when I don't have the medication for awhile (or at least that's what my family tells me :/).

I'm interested to see what they say about Strattera if they offer it to her and/or she goes on it, thank you for your responses and for offering that info!


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 41,883

26 Oct 2021, 9:39 pm

I was just thinking, ADHD isn't just about attention. It's also about emotional dysregulation and interpersonal challenges which can lead to meltdown-type behaviour. There's a lot of good info on the site called ADDitude Magazine:

https://www.additudemag.com/

I wonder if your response isn't a medication withdrawal per se, but maybe it's just a return of unmedicated ADHD behaviours?



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,719
Location: the island of defective toy santas

26 Oct 2021, 9:45 pm

had a senior moment, sorry



Last edited by auntblabby on 26 Oct 2021, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,852
Location: U.S.A.

26 Oct 2021, 9:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I was just thinking, ADHD isn't just about attention. It's also about emotional dysregulation and interpersonal challenges which can lead to meltdown-type behaviour. There's a lot of good info on the site called ADDitude Magazine:

https://www.additudemag.com/

I wonder if your response isn't a medication withdrawal per se, but maybe it's just a return of unmedicated ADHD behaviours?

That's interesting... I guess we wont know for sure until I go off of it for a little while, but I'll keep that in mind since that could be part of it!


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,852
Location: U.S.A.

26 Oct 2021, 9:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i had to quickly titrate myself off of strattera when my insurance suddenly stopped covering it. i felt like my IQ fell through the floorboards pretty quicklike.

I find it very hard to concentrate when I don't have it for while (not as in ADHD-esque concentration issues, I mean it's worse than usual even with my ADHD). I also find it hard to think rationally and get easily irritated as a result. :scratch:

can you tell me why you don't wanna take strattera anymore?

The aforementioned issues + I don't think it actually helps my ADHD symptoms much anymore. I would have been off of it by now, but every time I've made an appointment to go do that a personal issue has come up that prevented me from going to the appointment. I would also like to not take any ADHD medication for awhile to see how my symptoms are now and if I can reliably cope w/o any meds.

Edit: I should add it also has generally made my OCD symptoms worse, even when I'm not changing doses or withdrawing (it just ramps it up to 100 when that happens lol), and I think I need to go off of it because my symptoms are becoming often unbearable.


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,719
Location: the island of defective toy santas

26 Oct 2021, 9:55 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i had to quickly titrate myself off of strattera when my insurance suddenly stopped covering it. i felt like my IQ fell through the floorboards pretty quicklike.

I find it very hard to concentrate when I don't have it for while (not as in ADHD-esque concentration issues, I mean it's worse than usual even with my ADHD). I also find it hard to think rationally and get easily irritated as a result. :scratch:

can you tell me why you don't wanna take strattera anymore?

The aforementioned issues + I don't think it actually helps my ADHD symptoms much anymore. I would have been off of it by now, but every time I've made an appointment to go do that a personal issue has come up that prevented me from going to the appointment. I would also like to not take any ADHD medication for awhile to see how my symptoms are now and if I can reliably cope w/o any meds.

Edit: I should add it also has generally made my OCD symptoms worse, even when I'm not changing doses or withdrawing (it just ramps it up to 100 when that happens lol), and I think I need to go off of it because my symptoms are becoming often unbearable.

i'm sorry it is not working for you. forgive please my senior moment question above. i'm old. :bigsmurf: thank you for the heads-up about those particular side fx, i was not aware. all i know is how it made me feel when i was on it, it had just two particularly notable side effects for me [GERD and "the ooze"]



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 41,883

26 Oct 2021, 9:58 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I was just thinking, ADHD isn't just about attention. It's also about emotional dysregulation and interpersonal challenges which can lead to meltdown-type behaviour. There's a lot of good info on the site called ADDitude Magazine:

https://www.additudemag.com/

I wonder if your response isn't a medication withdrawal per se, but maybe it's just a return of unmedicated ADHD behaviours?

That's interesting... I guess we wont know for sure until I go off of it for a little while, but I'll keep that in mind since that could be part of it!


Sorry Hero, I just reread your OP and realised you already explained that your response is worse than normal ADHD.

Please excuse my ADHD for not reading carefully. 8) :roll: :oops:

Speaking of ADHD meds, I have no idea if I like my stimulant or not. I never know if I'm supposed to request an increase or a decrease in the dose. I know it's definitely better than taking NOTHING, but my brain is still going 20 million directions and I can't really focus any better than before. Maybe that means I'm taking too much and I'm hyper? Maybe it's not enough and I'm not fixed yet? I notice I'm more awake and my emotions are more stable, but my exec function and ability to think in a linear fashion hasn't improved at all. Maybe that's my autism which can't be medicated or maybe I need a dosage change?

I have no idea.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,852
Location: U.S.A.

26 Oct 2021, 10:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i'm sorry it is not working for you. forgive please my senior moment question above. i'm old. :bigsmurf: thank you for the heads-up about those particular side fx, i was not aware. all i know is how it made me feel when i was on it, it had just two particularly notable side effects for me [GERD and "the ooze"]

Oh no, that's fine! Asking me why I want to go off of it in the first place is completely valid, and I should have probably explained that beforehand anyways. I also probably have the side effects I have from the comorbids I have + the fact people in my family don't seem to react well to SSRIs or SNRIs, so other people might not have the same issues I do.


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,852
Location: U.S.A.

26 Oct 2021, 10:06 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sorry Hero, I just reread your OP and realised you already explained that your response is worse than normal ADHD.

Please excuse my ADHD for not reading carefully. 8) :roll: :oops:

Speaking of ADHD meds, I have no idea if I like my stimulant or not. I never know if I'm supposed to request an increase or a decrease in the dose. I know it's definitely better than taking NOTHING, but my brain is still going 20 million directions and I can't really focus any better than before. Maybe that means I'm taking too much and I'm hyper? Maybe it's not enough and I'm not fixed yet? I notice I'm more awake and my emotions are more stable, but my exec function and ability to think in a linear fashion hasn't improved at all. Maybe that's my autism which can't be medicated or maybe I need a dosage change?

I have no idea.

That's okay, I still wonder if part of the irritability at least might be from ADHD. I have taken it for 4 years so I honestly don't entirely remember what I am like without it, and I could have been more irritable beforehand due to emotional dysregulation.

I also have always wondered if the Strattera is actually technically working and I just don't remember ADHD meds not doing a whole lot for me as a kid (I was on Ritalin then, but couldn't take it this time because of issues with anxiety). I remember it affecting my emotional state and stuff when I started taking it, but I don't think I've ever noticed a huge change in my attention or executive function issues. Maybe I'm less hyper and impulsive after it, though.


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 41,883

26 Oct 2021, 10:31 pm

Update - MD woke up and said the transition wasn't too bad. It lasted about a week and it was mostly anxiety. She can't remember if there were headaches or whatever because it was a few years ago. Don't forget she was also going onto SSRI at the same time.

I wonder if you have more trauma / anxiety in general compared to when you were younger or not taking ADHD meds.