Name your favorite Christmas character

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 105,142
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

28 Nov 2021, 11:40 pm

Mine is Jesus and Santa Claus.


_________________
Peabody

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,113
Location: Texas

29 Nov 2021, 11:04 am

Axeman wrote:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Krampus

This guy right here baby. If you are on the naughty list in Germany or Austria he will thrash you hard. Many European countries have a so called evil Santa but none are more well known. My guess is he was originally a winter solstice god to whom children were sacrificed. Now he is under the control of St Nick, as are most evil Santa's. The new religion reigning in the old I suppose.

Baby Jesus



Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Aug 2021
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,435
Location: USA

29 Nov 2021, 11:13 am

Scrooge is just a typical Christmas story villian. The cranky mean guy who doesn't like Christmas. Like the Bumble, Scott Farkus, the hobo ghost from Polar Express, the Grinch, Mr Potter, the magician from Frosty the Snowman etc. Krampus is different. Before the hippie from Bethlehem came along this was his holiday. Children were sacrificed to him and now he can only thrash the bad ones if St Nick allows it. People today have by and large forgotten the true Pagan origins of this celebration and he has been demoted from god of the season to "evil Santa". He has good reason to be pissed.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,994
Location: Stendec

29 Nov 2021, 12:03 pm

Grinch and Scrooge were villains who were redeemed by their experiences.  It is their redemption that impresses me, not their "villainy".



Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Aug 2021
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,435
Location: USA

29 Nov 2021, 12:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
Grinch and Scrooge were villains who were redeemed by their experiences.  It is their redemption that impresses me, not their "villainy".


Their stories were entirely about their redemption. When that's not the case the Christmas villian is usually just punished but not redeemed.



Flown
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Sep 2016
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 2,044
Location: Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

29 Nov 2021, 2:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
Grinch and Scrooge were villains who were redeemed by their experiences.  It is their redemption that impresses me, not their "villainy".


While most people find these redemption stories heart-warming and inspirational, I can only wonder how long it will take until these characters slip back into their old patterns. I know so many people who have been "scared straight" or have "seen the light", but these changes are almost always impermanent.

I know, I can be quite the pessimist when it comes to humans! :D


_________________
ૂི•̮͡• ૂ ྀ


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 43,515

04 Dec 2021, 10:43 pm

I don't think the Grinch was a villain. He had Sensory Processing Disorder and was likely Autistic.

I'm not joking -- his aversion was mostly about the noise-noise-noise-noise, and he felt like an outsider to their community until he realised he could be accepted.

The only reason he took the gifts was to get rid of the noise of slew-slunkers, blum-blookers, electro harcardio-snooks, church bells and singing. Even the feast upset him because he didn't like roast beast (food issues).

I feel like the Grinch when it comes to Misophonia.

Once he was accepted for who he was, his heart grew three sizes and he was happy.



MuddRM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 2 Sep 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 69
Location: Beautiful(?) West Manchester Township, PA

04 Dec 2021, 11:32 pm

Axeman wrote:
Flown wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Krampus.

We posted the same! :heart:


That's three for Krampus :evil: .


How ‘bout Krampus’ German Cousin, Belsnickel?



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,869
Location: temperate zone

05 Dec 2021, 3:04 am

Misslizard wrote:
Image


"When you dyslexic..."?

The maker of poster must have been dyslexic.

Shouldnt it be "When you're dyslexic...."?



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,919
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2021, 9:30 am

Stinky Wizzleteats :arrow:


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"

~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"

~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Aug 2021
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,435
Location: USA

19 Dec 2021, 8:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think the Grinch was a villain. He had Sensory Processing Disorder and was likely Autistic.

I'm not joking -- his aversion was mostly about the noise-noise-noise-noise, and he felt like an outsider to their community until he realised he could be accepted.

The only reason he took the gifts was to get rid of the noise of slew-slunkers, blum-blookers, electro harcardio-snooks, church bells and singing. Even the feast upset him because he didn't like roast beast (food issues).

I feel like the Grinch when it comes to Misophonia.

Once he was accepted for who he was, his heart grew three sizes and he was happy.


What changed his mind was his observation that the Whos still loved Christmas even without all their stuff. Hearing their happy singing then gave him the strength of ten Grinches plus two.



Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Aug 2021
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,435
Location: USA

19 Dec 2021, 8:50 pm

MuddRM wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Flown wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Krampus.

We posted the same! :heart:


That's three for Krampus :evil: .


How ‘bout Krampus’ German Cousin, Belsnickel?


Or Ruprecht. Like I said there are lots of so called evil Santa's.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,919
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Dec 2021, 5:32 am

Axeman wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think the Grinch was a villain. He had Sensory Processing Disorder and was likely Autistic.

I'm not joking -- his aversion was mostly about the noise-noise-noise-noise, and he felt like an outsider to their community until he realised he could be accepted.

The only reason he took the gifts was to get rid of the noise of slew-slunkers, blum-blookers, electro harcardio-snooks, church bells and singing. Even the feast upset him because he didn't like roast beast (food issues).

I feel like the Grinch when it comes to Misophonia.

Once he was accepted for who he was, his heart grew three sizes and he was happy.


What changed his mind was his observation that the Whos still loved Christmas even without all their stuff. Hearing their happy singing then gave him the strength of ten Grinches plus two.
I mostly know about the original thou I have seen most of the Jim Carrey one & I think that the Grinch was kinda like an older version of Charlie Brown who had become bitter. The Grinch may of felt like Christmas was too comerialised. He saw all the presents & Christmas themed stuff the Whos had & thought that was what the Whos loved about Christmas. 1ce the Grinch realuzed that it was the family & togetherness aspects of Christmas the Whos loved & the Grinch felt more accepted by them(like you guys mentioned) he quit being bitter.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"

~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"

~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition