Page 18 of 20 [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,208
Location: Illinois

07 Aug 2022, 4:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The reason you get crackpots like Jones is largely because our media cannot be trusted. We're are being assaulted by lies daily from them at the behest of the corporate powers that run our government.

Disinformation is disinformation regardless of the source. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox news is every bit as guilty of it as Alex Jones.



Yeah, that's the real joke here, Alex Jones is being pilloried for lies that got some families harassed, while the people who lied us into unnecessary wars that killed hundreds of thousands of people and cost trillions of dollars not only faced no formal sanction, but were often rewarded with promotions. Adding to the dark comedy is how many of the former neocons have managed to "rehabilitate" themselves as "resistance" figures, because resistance liberals are truly the dumbest people in American politics, making the MAGAS crowd look like comparative geniuses. Don't even get me started on the various intelligence service figures now serving as commentators on liberal networks, it's like they've brainwashed themselves into forgetting that less than 10 years ago they opposed the security state, let alone that these people are literally trained to lie and manipulate, that was their previous job.


Walk in the shoes of any of those grieving parents, and you'd see why the Anti-Jones outrage is justified. Just because it was on a smaller scale hardly makes Jones' lies any less significant to those people.


Walk in the shoes of grieving families who lost members who died for wars predicted on lies. Get the point yet?


_________________
What do you call a hot dog in a gangster suit?

Oscar Meyer Lansky


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

07 Aug 2022, 4:42 pm

Your point seems to be: “Someone else did something worse, so Alex Jones should not be punished for his crimes.” Am I correct so far?

If so, then this is similar to saying, “What about Hillary?” every time someone reveals another of Mr. Trump’s screw-up so that the thread will be derailed into another discussion.

It is called a “Red Herring”.

It is also a way of defending one loud-mouthed loser by diversion the discussion to arguments over another loud-mouthed loser.

Alex Jones has been outed. His sole claim to fame at this moment is being a ‘victim’ of justice.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,354

07 Aug 2022, 5:23 pm

orrery wrote:
Deflection. One person's misbehavior is not justification for another's. The mainstream media can manufacture consent like they manufacture everything else and Alex Jones can be a villain for spreading lies and disinformation. There's room in the world for both truths.


If you are referring to Noam Chomsky's "government manufacturing consent" on behalf of the military industrial complex + foreign intelligence, the press and general public are also free to attack the government and there was actually no shortage of attacks against the British and US governments when war was declared against Sadam Hussein under false pretences that he has WMDs.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,031
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

07 Aug 2022, 7:03 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The reason you get crackpots like Jones is largely because our media cannot be trusted. We're are being assaulted by lies daily from them at the behest of the corporate powers that run our government.

Disinformation is disinformation regardless of the source. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox news is every bit as guilty of it as Alex Jones.



Yeah, that's the real joke here, Alex Jones is being pilloried for lies that got some families harassed, while the people who lied us into unnecessary wars that killed hundreds of thousands of people and cost trillions of dollars not only faced no formal sanction, but were often rewarded with promotions. Adding to the dark comedy is how many of the former neocons have managed to "rehabilitate" themselves as "resistance" figures, because resistance liberals are truly the dumbest people in American politics, making the MAGAS crowd look like comparative geniuses. Don't even get me started on the various intelligence service figures now serving as commentators on liberal networks, it's like they've brainwashed themselves into forgetting that less than 10 years ago they opposed the security state, let alone that these people are literally trained to lie and manipulate, that was their previous job.


Walk in the shoes of any of those grieving parents, and you'd see why the Anti-Jones outrage is justified. Just because it was on a smaller scale hardly makes Jones' lies any less significant to those people.


Walk in the shoes of grieving families who lost members who died for wars predicted on lies. Get the point yet?


And when did I say the deaths of those service people aren't any worse? It's still a lousy reason to defend that fat loon (and I can call him a fat loon because I am one myself).


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,208
Location: Illinois

07 Aug 2022, 9:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
Your point seems to be: “Someone else did something worse, so Alex Jones should not be punished for his crimes.” Am I correct so far?

If so, then this is similar to saying, “What about Hillary?” every time someone reveals another of Mr. Trump’s screw-up so that the thread will be derailed into another discussion.

It is called a “Red Herring”.

It is also a way of defending one loud-mouthed loser by diversion the discussion to arguments over another loud-mouthed loser.

Alex Jones has been outed. His sole claim to fame at this moment is being a ‘victim’ of justice.


No. It's not a red herring. It's pertinent to the discussion when people like you are involved because you are very selective with your outrage. You don't give a crap about the crimes of previous presidents, but froth at the mouth over Trump all day long.

You don't seem to care about to disinformation coming from supposed legit media, but crap on about people like Alex Jones.

I guess derailing a thread in your mind is any perspective that doesn't aline with your particular cult of of thought. I understand now.


_________________
What do you call a hot dog in a gangster suit?

Oscar Meyer Lansky


VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,208
Location: Illinois

07 Aug 2022, 10:05 pm

I think my points were very valid. But no doubt I will be penalized for them, and Fnord, one of the protected class on this site, will cruise along as always.

f**k this place!


_________________
What do you call a hot dog in a gangster suit?

Oscar Meyer Lansky


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,354

07 Aug 2022, 10:23 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I think my points were very valid. But no doubt I will be penalized for them, and Fnord, one of the protected class on this site, will cruise along as always.

f**k this place!


C'mon Veggieman, everything people say on WP is subject to scrutiny. Fnord is equally scrutinised like everyone else.



VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,208
Location: Illinois

07 Aug 2022, 10:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I think my points were very valid. But no doubt I will be penalized for them, and Fnord, one of the protected class on this site, will cruise along as always.

f**k this place!


C'mon Veggieman, everything people say on WP is subject to scrutiny. Fnord is equally scrutinised like everyone else.


I just get really tired of the "derailing the thread" accusations. It's boring as f**k.


_________________
What do you call a hot dog in a gangster suit?

Oscar Meyer Lansky


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

07 Aug 2022, 10:36 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I think my points were very valid. But no doubt I will be penalized for them, and Fnord, one of the protected class on this site, will cruise along as always.

f**k this place!


C'mon Veggieman, everything people say on WP is subject to scrutiny. Fnord is equally scrutinised like everyone else.


I just get really tired of the "derailing the thread" accusations. It's boring as f**k.


If you don’t want to be accused of derailing threads, then don’t derail them. Start a separate thread instead.

If you don’t want to be penalized, don’t make personal attacks. It’s simple.


_________________
Away.


VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,208
Location: Illinois

07 Aug 2022, 10:43 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I think my points were very valid. But no doubt I will be penalized for them, and Fnord, one of the protected class on this site, will cruise along as always.

f**k this place!


C'mon Veggieman, everything people say on WP is subject to scrutiny. Fnord is equally scrutinised like everyone else.


I just get really tired of the "derailing the thread" accusations. It's boring as f**k.


If you don’t want to be accused of derailing threads, then don’t derail them. Start a separate thread instead.

If you don’t want to be penalized, don’t make personal attacks. It’s simple.


I didn't derail the thread. My comments were pertinent to the content If you and Fnord don't like them, then ignore them! It's that simple.

But feel free to run off the mod thread everytime things don't go the way you think they should.


_________________
What do you call a hot dog in a gangster suit?

Oscar Meyer Lansky


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,354

07 Aug 2022, 11:05 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
But feel free to run off the mod thread everytime things don't go the way you think they should.


To be fair I get a gentle prod when i go off topic but I take it collegially rather than antagonistically.



VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,208
Location: Illinois

07 Aug 2022, 11:12 pm

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
But feel free to run off the mod thread everytime things don't go the way you think they should.


To be fair I get a gentle prod when i go off topic but I take it collegially rather than antagonistically.


I don't think I went off topic at all. I'm just miffed that people can't just ignore my comments, rather than sound the thread derailment alarm. I just don't understand that.


_________________
What do you call a hot dog in a gangster suit?

Oscar Meyer Lansky


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,963
Location: Seattle-ish

07 Aug 2022, 11:20 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I just get really tired of the "derailing the thread" accusations.


I don't even know what it's supposed to mean here, the thread isn't in News, it doesn't have a defined subject beyond whether or not Alex Jones is an anti-hero or a villain, nothing that has been said has taken the thread far afield.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,208
Location: Illinois

07 Aug 2022, 11:33 pm

Dox47 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I just get really tired of the "derailing the thread" accusations.


I don't even know what it's supposed to mean here, the thread isn't in News, it doesn't have a defined subject beyond whether or not Alex Jones is an anti-hero or a villain, nothing that has been said has taken the thread far afield.


Ha! I just posted a thread in on this in WP forum. It may get shut down very shortly. Or maybe it will trigger a stimulating discussion. We'll see how it goes.


_________________
What do you call a hot dog in a gangster suit?

Oscar Meyer Lansky


Last edited by VegetableMan on 08 Aug 2022, 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,354

07 Aug 2022, 11:54 pm

Thats a conundrum that often stimulating conversations can be generated from a thread but the topic needs to be adhered so that those vested in the topic can keep the discussion relevant.



VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,208
Location: Illinois

08 Aug 2022, 12:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Thats a conundrum that often stimulating conversations can be generated from a thread but the topic needs to be adhered so that those vested in the topic can keep the discussion relevant.


I think my comments were quite pertinent to the conversation. But others know better, so rather than ignore my thoughts, they can b***h and moan about them -- and probably get them deleted.


_________________
What do you call a hot dog in a gangster suit?

Oscar Meyer Lansky