Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 4:28 am

Poland has abolished the seperation of powers. Judges are directly under influence from the government and lawmakers and EU has fined Poland for this behavior because it violates the basic principles of a true democracy.

https://www.dw.com/en/eus-top-court-say ... a-59833245

Quote:
The European Court of Justice ruled that powers wielded by the Polish justice minister are against the EU law in the most recent clash with Warsaw over judicial independence in Poland.

You can't make true justice without independent judges.

In a democracy, there's the power of those who make the laws (politicians), the legal power (judges) who judge according to the laws made by the lawmakers - and the executive/administrative power (government) who has to make the guidelines for the judicial system.

The government must be chosen by the elected representatives (politicians).

I don't buy into the idea of a multitude of different types of "democracy". Either you have liberal democracy or you don't have democracy at all.

If you have an "authoritarian democracy" or "populist democracy" it is either dictatorship in disguise or mob rule with torches and pitchforks. Neither of which are representative of a true democracy, which by its very name must be INCLUSIVE of every citizen and grant every citizen some basic inalienable rights.

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 26 Dec 2021, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 4:58 am

Well here is a guy talking of some of whats going on in Poland

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 3:20 am

I remember back when Newt Gingrich had been campaigning to be President, he promised he would put judges in the custody of the federal marshals, and bring them before congress to explain rulings that they (the right) didn't like. Had that narcissistic blowhard been elected President, I think our form of free government would have been in danger of being eclipsed even more so than with the buffoonish orange narcissist who eventually ended up in the White House.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 12:54 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I remember back when Newt Gingrich had been campaigning to be President, he promised he would put judges in the custody of the federal marshals, and bring them before congress to explain rulings that they (the right) didn't like. Had that narcissistic blowhard been elected President, I think our form of free government would have been in danger of being eclipsed even more so than with the buffoonish orange narcissist who eventually ended up in the White House.

And this is exactly why Conservatism is bad, and should be outlawed.
Conservatism is incompatible with democracy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 4:48 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

And this is exactly why Conservatism is bad, and should be outlawed.
Conservatism is incompatible with democracy.

I don't think conservativism should be outlawed, as democracy is about letting everyone speak. But rather, we need to double our efforts to get the word out about what is wrong with conservative populism, and at the same time try to extend out tent to bring back the working class vote that Reagan had lured away decades ago.