Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Kt.Kpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 25 Feb 2022
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 42
Location: St. Louis

04 Mar 2022, 9:42 pm

What word would describe a person that is only nice to others if they are nice first, but mean to others if they are mean first?

So far, "immature" is the word coming to mind. But there must be a psychological expression for this?

TYIA



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 16,970
Location: I'm right here

04 Mar 2022, 9:47 pm

Transactional or petty might come to mind, vindictive depending on how mean, guarded or stand-offish if it's not really malicious but just not actively nice.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,506
Location: Stendec

05 Mar 2022, 12:00 am

Kt.Kpop wrote:
What word would describe a person that is only nice to others if they are nice first, but mean to others if they are mean first? . . .

”Normal”.

This is how normal people normally behave.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 110,002
Location: the island of defective toy santas

05 Mar 2022, 12:27 am

and that is how the world eventually grinds towards its end.



Kt.Kpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 25 Feb 2022
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 42
Location: St. Louis

06 Mar 2022, 3:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kt.Kpop wrote:
What word would describe a person that is only nice to others if they are nice first, but mean to others if they are mean first? . . .

”Normal”.

This is how normal people normally behave.


Definitely not normal. Who goes around attacking people because he thinks they did something wrong, like not saying hello or holding a door. He says they are bad people so its ok to treat them badly.

If people follow his moral code then he is nice to them. But if they don't follow his exact moral code, he attacks them verbally and humiliates them. It's like bully behavior.



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,707
Location: Australia

06 Mar 2022, 4:42 pm

"Reactive". 8)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,707
Location: Australia

06 Mar 2022, 4:43 pm

Kt.Kpop wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Kt.Kpop wrote:
What word would describe a person that is only nice to others if they are nice first, but mean to others if they are mean first? . . .

”Normal”.

This is how normal people normally behave.


Definitely not normal. Who goes around attacking people because he thinks they did something wrong, like not saying hello or holding a door. He says they are bad people so its ok to treat them badly.

If people follow his moral code then he is nice to them. But if they don't follow his exact moral code, he attacks them verbally and humiliates them. It's like bully behavior.


Perhaps it is "normal" for Fnord? :scratch: :mrgreen:


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,707
Location: Australia

06 Mar 2022, 4:46 pm

auntblabby wrote:
and that is how the world eventually grinds towards its end.


"An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind." 8)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.


nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,338
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Mar 2022, 6:02 pm

Kt.Kpop wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Kt.Kpop wrote:
What word would describe a person that is only nice to others if they are nice first, but mean to others if they are mean first? . . .

”Normal”.

This is how normal people normally behave.


Definitely not normal. Who goes around attacking people because he thinks they did something wrong, like not saying hello or holding a door. He says they are bad people so its ok to treat them badly.

If people follow his moral code then he is nice to them. But if they don't follow his exact moral code, he attacks them verbally and humiliates them. It's like bully behavior.
It sounds like your talking about US politicians or politicians in various parts of the world these days :( This behavior also seems to be common with hard-care religious conservatives. The current leadership in Texas is a perfect example of both. I would call that behavior bullying, hateful, judgemental, controlling, victim blaming, someone on a power trip, & also black & white thinking


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


Kt.Kpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 25 Feb 2022
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 42
Location: St. Louis

07 Mar 2022, 9:32 pm

nick wrote:
It sounds like your talking about US politicians or politicians in various parts of the world these days :( This behavior also seems to be common with hard-care religious conservatives. The current leadership in Texas is a perfect example of both. I would call that behavior bullying, hateful, judgemental, controlling, victim blaming, someone on a power trip, & also black & white thinking


Opening or holding doors for others, saying please and thank you, are polite etiquette. This youtuber, humiliates, shames, and verbally attacks people who don't follow HIS moral code, and he has thousands of followers that support him.

I just don't get it. He says it's ok to be mean to bad people (humiliate, shame, bully them), but I don't think these are bad people because etiquette is NOT law. If someone doesn't hold the door, he'll follow them in the store and harass them and follow them to their vehicle. Kind of ridiculous that he wastes his time in such a manner.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 46,738

07 Mar 2022, 9:49 pm

fair-weathered or fickle



Kt.Kpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 25 Feb 2022
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 42
Location: St. Louis

08 Mar 2022, 3:12 pm

:!: Found a good word yesterday, an actual psych term: childish venegefulness.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,092
Location: temperate zone

08 Mar 2022, 4:54 pm

Kt.Kpop wrote:
:!: Found a good word yesterday, an actual psych term: childish venegefulness.


I was just gonna say "vindictive".

"Vengeful" is kinda the same thing, but a bit rarer and stronger and scarier. You probably are looking for something mild mundane and petty sounding. So go with vindictive.