Five people charged with acting as Chinese government agents

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 12:37 am

Quote:
Five people charged with acting as Chinese government agents to spy on and harass U.S. residents critical of Beijing
Ellen Nakashima, Shayna Jacobs - Yesterday 5:00 AM

Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn have charged five people with acting on behalf of the Chinese secret police to stalk, spy on and harass U.S. residents critical of Beijing, officials announced Wednesday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fi ... ar-AAV8SVX

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 7:45 am

Quote:
. . . The five defendants are accused of aiding the Chinese government’s efforts to harass, stalk, and surveil Chinese nationals living in Queens and elsewhere in the United States.

In one case, a defendant allegedly tried to derail the candidacy of a U.S. military veteran running for Congress who had been a student leader at the 1989 pro-democracy demonstration in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square.

In another case, the defendants are accused of crimes including planning to destroy the artwork of a Chinese national living in Los Angeles who has criticized the Chinese government.

In a third case, a former Chinese scholar who helped start a pro-democracy organization in Queens is charged with using his position within New York City’s Chinese community to collect information about prominent activists, dissidents and human rights leaders and provide it to the Chinese Ministry of State Security (MSS), a civilian intelligence and secret police agency responsible for political security.
On my most recent trip to the Philippines, some Chinese nationals living there confided in me about their own "stalkers" from the Chinese Ministry of State Security (MSS).  This may be a global phenomenon.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 5:25 pm

It might interest people to know the Chinese government has been doing this since at least the 1980s. One of the professors I worked with back in the 1990s told me he supervised one of the first batch of international students from China in the late 1980s. One of the girls started dating a local Aussie bloke (the first of many :lol: ) and she and her b/f came to see the prof and discreetly told him she wanted to withdraw from her university course and vanish. When he enquired why? she told him she worked for the Chinese secret service and they were monitoring her via the local Chinese population here in Melbourne. Apparently the girl was sent to spy on the University of Melbourne to see how they operate.

What was most shocking for the Prof was not that she was a spy but that back in the 1980s the Chinese government had operatives/cells already well established in the city at a time when the Asian population wasn't that substantial.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 8:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:

What was most shocking for the Prof was not that she was a spy but that back in the 1980s the Chinese government had operatives/cells already well established in the city at a time when the Asian population wasn't that substantial.

The Chinese think long term.
This is a benefit of a non-democratic system that has a two-term limit.
Obviously, pootin got around that.

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 9:27 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The Chinese think long term.
This is a benefit of a non-democratic system that has a two-term limit.
Obviously, pootin got around that.

Xi Jin Ping is also "el presidente" for life. And yes, the Chinese think in terms of centuries. Case in point was Hong Kong and Macau. Despite the fact the lease on both territories were drawn up during colonial era when China had an emperor, the communist party honoured both leases and quietly took over the colonies when their leases ran out.

I suspect the operatives/spies they have also operate as cells for the long term. I wouldn't be surprised if these cells were set up during the gold rush to inform the emperor of what was happening in Australia. New regime, same networks.