Twitter suspends Babylon Bee for misgendering Rachel Levine

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 7:03 am

The Hill

Quote:
Twitter suspended the account of right-leaning parody site The Babylon Bee after a tweet misgendered U.S. Assistant Health Secretary Rachel Levine in violation of the platform's hateful conduct policy.

To regain access to the account, The Babylon Bee has to delete the tweet that violates Twitter’s guidelines, a Twitter spokesperson said.

The tweet that triggered the temporary lock misgendered Levine by stating, “The Babylon Bee’s Man Of The Year is Rachel Levine,” according to a screenshot tweeted by Babylon Bee CEO Seth Dillon on his personal account.

Dillon indicated the account will not delete the tweet to regain account access.

They could, of course, delete the tweet themselves. But they won't. It's not enough for them to just wipe it out. They want us to bend the knee and admit that we engaged in hateful conduct,” Dillon tweeted.

The Babylon Bee tweet was posted after USA Today named Levine, who is transgender, as one of its Women of the Year. Levine, 64, was honored for her work in the Biden administration leading 6,000 uniformed public health officers during a pandemic.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 10:04 am

Finally, the Babylon Bee has a funny story. :lol:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 10:23 am

The Bee responds:

https://babylonbee.com/news/babylon-bee ... ir-2-jokes

Babylon Bee Writers Struggling To Come Up With New Material After Twitter Bans 1 Of Their 2 Jokes

U.S.—Twitter dealt a devastating blow to The Babylon Bee yesterday after banning them from telling transgender jokes, which is one of the only two jokes they know.

"Guys, what are we going to do?!" cried Editor-in-Chief Kyle Mann while pacing back and forth. "Those 'man-identifies-as' jokes represent almost all our material! We're finished! FINISHED, I tell you!"

The assembled writing team collectively racked their brains to try and come up with a new joke, but could only come up with jokes about youth pastors and potluck dinners, which is already their first joke.

"Come on guys, THINK!" said the Bee's Managing Editor Griswold Dingleberry. "There's gotta be something we can joke about! Has anyone ever made fun of airline food? What if we tell a joke about a rabbi and a priest walking into a bar? Has that been done?"

"I know, I know!" said another writer. "What if we had a man identify as an... attack helicopter? Darnit, that's the same joke again!"

Experts warn that unless they come up with a new joke, The Babylon Bee could potentially lose its status as the all-time king of marginally acceptable satire.

Leadership at the company warned their workers that if they don't come up with a new joke soon, they may have to bring back founder Adam Ford to turn things around.

beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 10:27 am

I wonder what the Twitter would have done if the Bee's MotY was Hillary Clinton?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 11:10 am

Usually I find their satire funny but I did not find the joke in question funny, I found it juvenile.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Mar 2022, 12:31 pm

[Mod]

Please don’t use this as an excuse to post transphobic “satire”.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 1:23 pm

Yeah transphobia sucks but I'm a little worried at how much control these social media corporations have over what we can and can't say. Millions of people use Twitter, Facebook, etc. it's alarming that these media giants can slap a muzzle on you for making mean comments about powerful politicians.

in before "b-but it's a private corporation"

Yeah well so are the phone companies, right? But could you imagine the outrage if phone companies started doing this? Imagine the outrage if people started getting text messages from Verizon or AT&T saying, "Hey, we heard you talking s**t about Joe Biden so you're not allowed to make outgoing calls until you apologize :) have a nice day :)" What a world. A pox upon capitalism.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 10:33 pm

Barchan wrote:
Yeah transphobia sucks but I'm a little worried at how much control these social media corporations have over what we can and can't say. Millions of people use Twitter, Facebook, etc. it's alarming that these media giants can slap a muzzle on you for making mean comments about powerful politicians.

Yeah well so are the phone companies, right? But could you imagine the outrage if phone companies started doing this? Imagine the outrage if people started getting text messages from Verizon or AT&T saying, "Hey, we heard you talking s**t about Joe Biden so you're not allowed to make outgoing calls until you apologize :) have a nice day :)" What a world. A pox upon capitalism.

If anyone wants to spew hatespeech and transphobia or incite a little genocide via social media, all one has to do is tweet in a language other than English.
a pox upon capitalism indeed.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 2:59 pm

Barchan wrote:

Difference is when you talk on the phone, no one can hear your phone conversation unless you are doing it out in public and saying homophobic things on your mobile phone or if you are calling random people and telling them transphobic things. On social media, anything you post is made public. Same as anything you talk about in public to your partner or friend is also made public. That is why I don't talk politics much in public and I wait till I am in the car. If you want a private talk on your phone, do it in your car or in your bedroom or home. And I laugh when people get upset when they find out someone had been listening to their conversation. The fact you were talking loud on your phone or the fact you and your friend were talking very loudly no longer made it private. If it was truly private, you wouldn't be loud about it or you would wait till you were alone to have that private talk on your phone.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.