Alopecia sufferers benefit from Will Smith's brain freeze

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,731

01 Apr 2022, 8:14 pm

A woman who hid her alopecia for 17 years said she felt more confident to go out without a wig after the Oscars controversy raised awareness.
Laura Mathias, 30, from Manningtree, Essex, said she hoped other bald people could take a stand in defiance of Chris Rock's joke.
"The positive thing from this awful incident is that so many more people know about alopecia," she said.
"I normally get very anxious going out without a wig.
"But now I feel like enough people know about the condition and wouldn't presume I have cancer, or some other illness, and look at me with pity."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-60919154

Image

Who knows....Apolecia associations might even ask Will Smith to speak at events!



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,117
Location: temperate zone

02 Apr 2022, 11:51 am

Well... SOME good will come out of his rashness.

Apolecia awareness, and ...well... acceptance. Reminds me of another condition that starts with A.

I myself had never heard of apolecia until I had to google it a couple of days ago in order to understand the newsfeeds.

So the Academy will ban him. But the National Apolecia Society ...might well put a statue of him in front of their HQ, for spreading the awareness.



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,457
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

02 Apr 2022, 5:27 pm

I just looove how humans can't go for two minutes without talking about what an enormous deal this is but they don't give a rat's rear end about the threat of WW3 or covid or the environment. Society is full of idiots and nothing has changed since the 90s when I used to see people in the US media and their sensationalist trash over one stupid celebrity incident over another: The OJ Simpson trial, the Monica/Lewinsky scandal, Lorena Bobbitt lopping off her husband's manhood, the assault of Nancy Kerrigan and on and on and ON. Stupid stupid stupid!

There's only one difference between 99% of human's brains and manure. Manure can be useful. :twisted:



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,731

02 Apr 2022, 6:46 pm

Actually on a serious note Jada Pinkett Smith is now the most famous person on the planet with Apolecia. She might become the mascot for the condition. Whether she would be a role model is another matter.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,731

02 Apr 2022, 6:49 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I just looove how humans can't go for two minutes without talking about what an enormous deal this is but they don't give a rat's rear end about the threat of WW3 or covid or the environment. Society is full of idiots and nothing has changed since the 90s when I used to see people in the US media and their sensationalist trash over one stupid celebrity incident over another: The OJ Simpson trial, the Monica/Lewinsky scandal, Lorena Bobbitt lopping off her husband's manhood, the assault of Nancy Kerrigan and on and on and ON. Stupid stupid stupid!

There's only one difference between 99% of human's brains and manure. Manure can be useful. :twisted:


Oh yes! the Monica Lewinsky scandal was certainly a big event, There were others too, JFK assassination, The Profumo affair and the Rodney King beating (the last one gave rise to BLM). People love drama.



The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,081
Location: Reading, England

02 Apr 2022, 8:35 pm

[Fixed typo in title]



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,202
Location: Long Island, New York

02 Apr 2022, 11:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
and the Rodney King beating (the last one gave rise to BLM). People love drama.


It was the acquittal of George Zimmermann in the killing of Trayvon Martin that was the spark for Black Lives Matter.

In my case your OP is true, I had not heard of Alopecia prior to this incident.

That said
Laura Mathias wrote:
and wouldn't presume I have cancer, or some other illness, and look at me with pity

We still have a long way to go as far as ending the stigmatization of cancer patients.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,858

02 Apr 2022, 11:47 pm

No level of over discussed triviality will never out do the Nancy Kerrigan vs Tonya Harding saga.



Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 03 Apr 2022, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,117
Location: temperate zone

03 Apr 2022, 12:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
Actually on a serious note Jada Pinkett Smith is now the most famous person on the planet with Apolecia. She might become the mascot for the condition. Whether she would be a role model is another matter.


Thats just it.


The real issues seems to be, NOT Will Smith vs Chris Rock.

It seems to be Jada Pinkett Smith vs Jada Pinkett Smith.

Is she a victim? Or is she a sociopathic manipulator?

Does this alopecia condition give her license to manipulate her husband to stand up and commit career suicide?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,731

03 Apr 2022, 1:18 am

naturalplastic wrote:
It seems to be Jada Pinkett Smith vs Jada Pinkett Smith.

Is she a victim? Or is she a sociopathic manipulator?

Does this alopecia condition give her license to manipulate her husband to stand up and commit career suicide?


I think both, She has been privately not coping with her condition but at the same time she has been holding Will Smith by the balls and manipulating him like a marionette puppet.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,731

03 Apr 2022, 1:22 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
and the Rodney King beating (the last one gave rise to BLM). People love drama.

It was the acquittal of George Zimmermann in the killing of Trayvon Martin that was the spark for Black Lives Matter.


Melina Abdullah the co-founder of BLM herself attests that the Rodney King beating created the first nationwide uprising specifically against police brutality which planted the seeds for the BLM movement