If you live in the USA, what region are you located? Poll

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


What region do you live? Poll question
Poll ended at 13 Apr 2022, 6:47 pm
West Coast (California, Oregon, Washington) 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
Southwest (Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mountain West (Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Midwest 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
Deep South (Texas through Florida) 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
East Coast (New York down through North/South Carolina) 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 27

H_Taterz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 23 Mar 2022
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 69

06 Apr 2022, 6:47 pm

Hi all,

I hope this is allowed. I'm looking to relocate over the summer (in the United States) and I'm hoping to find the areas where there are more adults with autism (community!).

Also, if you've heard good things about certain areas, let me know why and where they are.

Thanks! :heart: :heart: :heart:



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 83,805
Location: Queens, NYC

06 Apr 2022, 9:56 pm

I’m in NYC. The population of autistic people is considerable. The cost of living is high, though.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 110,299
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Apr 2022, 10:08 pm

in the puget sound area of western washington, my home, you will find also a lot of aspies and more things that cater to aspies. we have seattle square pegs and tacoma square pegs. however, there is always a fly in the ointment, and just like new york, north puget sound [north of king county on the east side of the sound] is also expensive.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 110,299
Location: the island of defective toy santas

06 Apr 2022, 10:12 pm

OP wondered about "the good things about" various areas, i can tell you that in south puget sound, southwestern washington and northwestern washington on the west side of the sound, the cost of living is tolerable at least, the weather is generally temperate [a good snow on average once every blue moon or so], no state income tax [but watch out for those property taxes if you have a view property]. best come here soon as the californians are bidding everything up/snapping everything up they can and property values are skyrocketing as a result.



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,588
Location: Texas

07 Apr 2022, 12:33 am

I live in Texas I would not recommend it for people on the spectrum unless your family has money



Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,097
Location: U.S.A.

07 Apr 2022, 2:25 pm

I only learned at age 64 that I was an Aspie...just in time for the Pandemic...so I haven't connected to any Autistic community other than WP. But welcome to WP!


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 110,299
Location: the island of defective toy santas

07 Apr 2022, 3:33 pm

so far a majority in the eastern half of the usa. does that mean there are fewer westerners here, or that westerners are less likely to answer polls like this, or that easterners are more likely to answer polls like this?



MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,679
Location: either here or there

07 Apr 2022, 9:34 pm

Bengals Country...Who dey!


_________________
Every time you spell "meerkat" with a C, a baby meerkat cries. Please think of the meerkats.


HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 21
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 8,456
Location: Pacific Northwest

08 Apr 2022, 12:05 am

I live in WA. It's expensive here, but I like living here. I'm not too sure about whether it's a good place specifically for autists to live, though.


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also have a rabbit, and enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 110,299
Location: the island of defective toy santas

08 Apr 2022, 12:09 am

oly, tacoma and seattle have better than average accomodations for autistic school students, from what i've read.



H_Taterz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 23 Mar 2022
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 69

08 Apr 2022, 12:20 pm

We're actually from WA. :heart: 8) We moved here (MN) two years ago because the Washington schools were bad for kids with autism (outside of Seattle) and the cost of housing was spiraling out of control. I think we got out at a good time.
The skyrocketing cost of living is now everywhere, even here. It's, in part, due to realty investment firms buying up investment properties (30%), and in WA, the tech industry is attracting people from all over. I've talked to several people that moved from MN to WA. I think most Californians are actually migrating to TX, where it's cheaper and regulations are loose.

My son also has ASD, but his diagnosis comes with cognitive delays. His elementary school in Olympia was fantastic, but as he got older, the schools got so much worse. His high school in MN has been amazing, but we definitely stick out in the community. We're not mid-westerners and it shows.

Long story made short, we actually loved living in some parts of WA (mostly Clallam County), but WA isn't the place you want to be if you have a verbal disability and/or can't afford $3K rent or a $700K home in the Seattle area.

I definitely miss the nerdiness and cosplayers of the PNW. Now that my son's graduating high school, we keep circling back to WA, but we're also looking closely at CA. It's expensive, but I feel like CA has better supports for adults. I don't mind paying higher taxes if it means better social supports. I just worry about what will happen to my son if anything happens to me. We don't have family so we need community.

Thanks for the input! Too bad we didn't get to talk when we still lived there.


auntblabby wrote:
OP wondered about "the good things about" various areas, i can tell you that in south puget sound, southwestern washington and northwestern washington on the west side of the sound, the cost of living is tolerable at least, the weather is generally temperate [a good snow on average once every blue moon or so], no state income tax [but watch out for those property taxes if you have a view property]. best come here soon as the californians are bidding everything up/snapping everything up they can and property values are skyrocketing as a result.



H_Taterz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 23 Mar 2022
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 69

08 Apr 2022, 12:28 pm

First off, LOVE THE NAME! :heart: :heart: :heart: My gamertag is usually Hyrulian Taterz.
I just did a whole response on us leaving WA. I know there was a pretty active "Aspie" meetup group in Victoria, BC. I always wanted to go but could never make it up there in time.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I live in WA. It's expensive here, but I like living here. I'm not too sure about whether it's a good place specifically for autists to live, though.



H_Taterz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 23 Mar 2022
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 69

08 Apr 2022, 12:35 pm

I keep hearing New York in general is good. I lived upstate for about six months and absolutely had the best time. Nothing but good memories... except the toll roads... I have no love for the toll roads at all. :lol:

I don't know how anyone in NYC affords it. I could barely afford living on the outskirts of Seattle. There's no way I could afford NYC.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m in NYC. The population of autistic people is considerable. The cost of living is high, though.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 110,299
Location: the island of defective toy santas

08 Apr 2022, 7:07 pm

H_Taterz wrote:
We're actually from WA. :heart: 8) We moved here (MN) two years ago because the Washington schools were bad for kids with autism (outside of Seattle) and the cost of housing was spiraling out of control. I think we got out at a good time. The skyrocketing cost of living is now everywhere, even here. It's, in part, due to realty investment firms buying up investment properties (30%), and in WA, the tech industry is attracting people from all over. I've talked to several people that moved from MN to WA. I think most Californians are actually migrating to TX, where it's cheaper and regulations are loose. My son also has ASD, but his diagnosis comes with cognitive delays. His elementary school in Olympia was fantastic, but as he got older, the schools got so much worse. His high school in MN has been amazing, but we definitely stick out in the community. We're not mid-westerners and it shows. Long story made short, we actually loved living in some parts of WA (mostly Clallam County), but WA isn't the place you want to be if you have a verbal disability and/or can't afford $3K rent or a $700K home in the Seattle area. I definitely miss the nerdiness and cosplayers of the PNW. Now that my son's graduating high school, we keep circling back to WA, but we're also looking closely at CA. It's expensive, but I feel like CA has better supports for adults. I don't mind paying higher taxes if it means better social supports. I just worry about what will happen to my son if anything happens to me. We don't have family so we need community. Thanks for the input! Too bad we didn't get to talk when we still lived there.

yeh it's downright diabolical how the fates keep us aspies far apart. :o can you tell me how the mid-westerners make you feel different?



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 21
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 8,456
Location: Pacific Northwest

08 Apr 2022, 7:43 pm

H_Taterz wrote:
First off, LOVE THE NAME! :heart: :heart: :heart: My gamertag is usually Hyrulian Taterz.
I just did a whole response on us leaving WA. I know there was a pretty active "Aspie" meetup group in Victoria, BC. I always wanted to go but could never make it up there in time.

Thank you! :D

I haven't gone to any meetup groups around here. I also read your post about WA and I agree that the school districts can be not that great for autistic people. My school district wasn't very helpful regarding my issues, and after looking through my records I noticed some of my teachers mentioned autism-related issues, but it didn't seem like they were allowed to actually mention concerns about autism or suggest I get reassessed for it... I don't know if it was due to funding or whatever, but I've heard other school districts here aren't any better about that stuff.


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also have a rabbit, and enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.


warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2016
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Posts: 633
Location: Southern California

08 Apr 2022, 7:45 pm

I’m from Orange County, California. There are a decent number of autistic people here, though I don’t really know how good it is for us here.

Orange County is located in the southern part of my state. It’s expensive to live here, particularly in my area, where houses never cost under $1 million. Other than that, I generally like being here. The weather is temperate but usually on the warmer side and there’s lots of places to eat and things to do.


_________________
I am no longer using WP. Please PM me if you want to talk.