Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 3:31 pm

When it comes to composing music for my projects, should I go with samples or real instruments. The advantage of real instruments is that they sound more real but disadvantage, is I am more restricted in finding instrument players of specific instruments.

For example for a project I am doing now, one instrument that I think would suit it sound-wise, is the lute. I can purchase samples of lutes in order to do the music. Or I can just have a guitar player I know use the guitar instead. The guitar is not what I wanted, since I want the lute, but at least the instrument being played will be recorded in real time, as opposed to using samples.

Or another example is, I know a person who can play the piano well, and has one, but I don't really want a piano for the soundtrack and not sure if it would suite it soundwise. But I know a pianist who has one, so is it worth asking them to do it anyway, since real time recording may be better than samples of anything you want?

So I am wondering therefore, is one better than the other? Thank you very much for any advice on this! I really appreciate it!

AlexAl
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2022, 2:40 am

Well, this is a pretty hard question. To my point about internalizing the music, if you didn't have to work out the music note-by-note on the piano, if it could simply stream from your creative mind instantly onto paper (I use ScanScore for that matter) it would be a thing of beauty. But for me, using samples is the ultimate skill, not the ultimate art form. However, if you are talking about sounds that only electronics can make, samples might be a good option. Though it's only my opinion. So, the choice depends only on you and the kind of music you are going to compose.