Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 9:39 pm

A week on after the elections, and there are still about 3 or 4 seats in the House of Representatives yet to be decided, and about 2 seats in the Senate.

I'm predicting that Labor will get 76 seats in the House of Representatives, the barest amount to form a majority government. The Greens and the teal independents should be able to help them with environmental legislation, though.

Labor won't have anywhere near a majority in the Senate, and even when combined with the Greens they'll still be one seat short. Should make for some interesting negotiations with the crossbench.

I guess it won't be easy for Albanese, over the next 3 years.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 4:55 am

Murihiku wrote:
In modern politics, a "Manchurian candidate" isn't necessarily linked with China,

Almost never, these days.
It was the brainwashing process that it refers to. 8)

Quote:
What are the three types of brainwashing?
Lifton ultimately defined a set of steps involved in the cases of brainwashing studied, roughly dividing them into three stages: breaking down the self, introducing the possibility of salvation, and rebuilding the self.

This can be done easily at an early age.
Through psychological trauma, a dissociative disorder can be induced and the destruction of the child's ontological security can be achieved.

A dissociative disorder is a type of hypnotic trance state.
A hypnotic trance state can bypass the reasoning aspect of the brain to access the more primitive/emotional impulses of the individual.

While Dissociative Identity Disorder is very effective when creating a "Manchurian Candidate", it isn't necessary. A "simple" dissociative disorder can create repressed memory generation, which works in a similar way by separating conscious events from the subconscious/unconscious.

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 6:27 am

Media reports are now saying that Labor has won 77 seats in the House of Representatives, one more than is needed for a majority.

Counting of votes for the 2 remaining Senate seats is ongoing, but Labor isn't likely to get a majority there even with support from the Greens.

Expect Labor to have to make deals with the Greens and one crossbench senator – or make a grand deal with the Liberals – to pass any legislation.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 6:30 am

Thank gawd, they got a majority.
We don't need no hung parliament that is at the mercy of so-called independents on "L" plates. 8)

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 6:47 pm

Labor will still need to make deals in the Senate, either with the Greens and at least one crossbencher, or somehow with the Liberals.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 6:50 pm

Murihiku wrote:
Labor will still need to make deals in the Senate, either with the Greens and at least one crossbencher, or somehow with the Liberals.

I know. 8)
"Don't you know who I am?" 8O :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 7:07 pm

So, after about one month the final results of the federal election have been confirmed:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/f ... rty-totals

House of Representatives: (151 seats)
76 seats needed for a majority
Labor = 77
Coalition (Liberal/National) = 58
Greens = 4
Katter's Australian Party = 1
Centre Alliance = 1
• Independents = 10

Senate: (76 seats)
39 seats needed for a majority
Coalition (Liberal/National) = 32
Labor = 26
Greens = 12
One Nation = 2
Jacqui Lambie Network = 2
United Australia Party = 1
• Independent = 1 (David Pocock)

As predicted, Labor has an outright majority in the House of Representatives, enough to form government on its own. No party has an outright majority in the Senate, but Labor can get legislation through with the help of the Greens and at least one other senator (probably either from JLN or David Pocock).