Autistic Individuals Have Poorer Health and Healthcare

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jfvirey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 16 May 2022
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
Location: Douai

30 May 2022, 1:18 am

Summary: Autistic individuals are more likely to experience chronic physical and mental health problems than their peers without ASD. Additionally, those on the autism spectrum are more likely to report inadequacies in health care services provided to them.

Source: University of Cambridge

https://neurosciencenews.com/asd-health ... ROvXi4x-pk



9989cma
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 17 Jan 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 11

05 Jun 2022, 9:15 pm

Is this because of lack of exercise, bad diets, etc. If so I wonder why the lack of exercise and bad diets. SOme others with autism who I know eat whatever they want whenever they want (is this typical, or more typical, in autism). Also they don't think cardiovascular exercise is important. WHen they try it it is drudgery to them. Poor understanding of one's body?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

06 Jun 2022, 12:30 pm

9989cma wrote:
Is this because of lack of exercise, bad diets, etc. If so I wonder why the lack of exercise and bad diets. SOme others with autism who I know eat whatever they want whenever they want (is this typical, or more typical, in autism). Also they don't think cardiovascular exercise is important. WHen they try it it is drudgery to them. Poor understanding of one's body?
Blaming the victims does not solve their problems.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,609
Location: wales

06 Jun 2022, 1:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
9989cma wrote:
Is this because of lack of exercise, bad diets, etc. If so I wonder why the lack of exercise and bad diets. SOme others with autism who I know eat whatever they want whenever they want (is this typical, or more typical, in autism). Also they don't think cardiovascular exercise is important. WHen they try it it is drudgery to them. Poor understanding of one's body?
Blaming the victims does not solve their problems.



He might have a point. It's very common for autistics to just "let themselves go" in the health and looks department. Perhaps a combo of comfort eating and being out of touch with knowing what's healthy?

There are others who just seem very skinny and many with mental health problems. All of which can lead to further "letting themselves go".



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

06 Jun 2022, 1:29 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
9989cma wrote:
Is this because of lack of exercise, bad diets, etc. If so I wonder why the lack of exercise and bad diets. SOme others with autism who I know eat whatever they want whenever they want (is this typical, or more typical, in autism). Also they don't think cardiovascular exercise is important. WHen they try it it is drudgery to them. Poor understanding of one's body?
Blaming the victims does not solve their problems.
He might have a point. It's very common for autistics to just "let themselves go" in the health and looks department. . .
The very same could be said for what seems to be the majority of non-autistic people (although not to their faces).

Just look at the plethora of diets, weight-loss programs, and "Get the body you want" advertisements for body sculpting, exercise machines, and gym memberships.



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,802
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

06 Jun 2022, 1:32 pm

Many of us have sensory issues when it comes to food and exercise is basically torture due to our poor motor skills. It's not something we can help, we're lucky we can walk through an open doorway without banging into it. Meanwhile the healthcare system acts like we're nothing but a burden on it and everyone else, and if it had it's way it make us all wear a "do not resuscitate" tag in the hospital.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,609
Location: wales

06 Jun 2022, 1:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
The very same could be said for what seems to be the majority of non-autistic people (although not to their faces).

Just look at the plethora of diets, weight-loss programs, and "Get the body you want" advertisements for body sculpting, exercise machines, and gym memberships.[/color]


I think that autistics still seem to be more effected by poor diet and lifestyle choices. I imagine mental health and general low mood plays a roll but also how little others care about the norms in society.

It's also embarrassing how overweight the entire western world is becoming.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

06 Jun 2022, 1:43 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The very same could be said for what seems to be the majority of non-autistic people (although not to their faces).  Just look at the plethora of diets, weight-loss programs, and "Get the body you want" advertisements for body sculpting, exercise machines, and gym memberships.
I think that autistics still seem to be more effected by poor diet and lifestyle choices. I imagine mental health and general low mood plays a roll but also how little others care about the norms in society.  It's also embarrassing how overweight the entire western world is becoming.
It is occurring in the "eastern" world as well.  As land is being used up for commercial/industrial/residential development, less land is available for growing healthy (and more expensive) foods.  Look at the people where it is easier to obtain commercially-process foods than to obtain farm-fresh foods, and you may see an increase in obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.



kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,473
Location: Missouri

06 Jun 2022, 1:57 pm

If there is a genetic component to the causing of autism, there could be related genetic health effects.

Although, using the sample set of myself, Mom, Dad, gives a mixed message on that point:

I am autistic, Mom is autistic, Dad is not autistic.

Dad and I have several of the same immune, endocrine, neurological, mitochondrial, health problems.
Which hit each of us hard at about the same age, mid-40s.
Even though we had very different careers and not entirely similar lifestyles.
Is there a genetic connection there?


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

06 Jun 2022, 2:04 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Dad and I have several of the same immune, endocrine, neurological, mitochondrial, health problems.  Which hit each of us hard at about the same age, mid-40s.  Even though we had very different careers and not entirely similar lifestyles.  Is there a genetic connection there?
Doubtful regarding the mitochondrial issues, since we inherit our mitochondria ONLY from our mothers.  So, unless your parents' maternal lineages are traceable -- through women only -- back to a common female ancestor, your mitochondrial issues most likely do not have a common genetic cause.



Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,334

06 Jun 2022, 10:23 pm

Self-help is impaired to some extent in those with Autism. Even high functioning individuals can have quite poor self-help skills that are hard to grasp based on how they appear (invisible disability, after all). This can lead to health conditions for obvious reasons.

Pain tolerance levels are also varied (either way), which too, can lead to something like a delayed diagnosis of a health condition.

Poor executive functioning can lead to it being too much of a bother to utilize health services, which again, can lead to health conditions and/or delayed diagnoses. This will be one factor in the poor self-help skills, though.

Someone mentioned sensory and motor deficits, and they'll be a reason too (pain tolerance will come under this). I can't walk through doorways without often hitting the sides. :|

As someone else mentioned, Autism on its own might come with genetic susceptibility to other health conditions (autoimmune, joint hypermobility syndrome and others have an association), and it might make us more susceptible to infections too due to an altered immune response (it might help too depending on what).