How to overcome academic writing phobia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Midshipman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2022, 11:02 am

Last year I took leave from my university because I could not complete written work. The difficulty was long-standing but had worsened, and, as my academic results were otherwise very good, I was labelled a perfectionist. (This was before my ASD, ADHD diagnosis.) Since then, I have used brain apps and posted comments on Future Learn and other MOOC arts courses to improve my skills in reading comprehension, summarising and structuring written assignments (no longer than 250-500 words). My success encouraged me. However, when I began more demanding course-specific work, e.g. literature commentary or an essay, I became very fearful and uncertain about whether my approach was suitable (I have the module info.) It is now not a question of study skills but a phobia of a specific situation. Does anyone know of anything to get around this? Would extra tutoring in the subject help? I might be able to afford this rather than a psychologist.

Vasco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2022, 5:51 am

Midshipman wrote:
Last year I took leave from my university because I could not complete written work. The difficulty was long-standing but had worsened, and, as my academic results were otherwise very good, I was labelled a perfectionist. (This was before my ASD, ADHD diagnosis.) Since then, I have used brain apps and posted comments on Future Learn and other MOOC arts courses to improve my skills in reading comprehension, summarising and structuring written assignments (no longer than 250-500 words). My success encouraged me. However, when I began more demanding course-specific work, e.g. literature commentary or an essay, I became very fearful and uncertain about whether my approach was suitable (I have the module info.) It is now not a question of study skills but a phobia of a specific situation. Does anyone know of anything to get around this? Would extra tutoring in the subject help? I might be able to afford this rather than a psychologist.

I also terribly suffer from writing phobia.
I usually write 1k word essays a few hours before the assignment is due.
Frequently, I turn in assignments late.
It's strange how I have writing phobia even though I lived in the US for most of my life and attended school here since 2nd grade. Perhaps I would not be like this if my parents read me bedtime stories. Perhaps I would not be like this if I read books everyday and improved my literacy.

The best way to overcome phobia is to just write.
If writing is hard, then talking alone into a recording may help.
Talking has higher WPM than that of typing.

Midshipman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jul 2022, 10:07 am

Yes. I agree that the best way out of the impasse is to write, but my pen often hovers over the page as I stress about the 'right' word or expression to communicate my ideas. I came across the following website of a Canadian university that offers suggestions. It looks promising: https://libguides.royalroads.ca/writingprocess. I have just started to keep a journal to become more aware of why I become stuck. For example, I often try to edit material before I have even written it down! I now plough on regardless of how clunky it sounds. Once I have something down on paper, only then can I revise it.

Minervx_2
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2022, 1:41 pm

By understanding it's formulaic. It's not your goal to write a timeless classic or a perfect essay. It's just to check the boxes.

Many professors just check for basic things.
Are the first 1-2 sentences catchy?
Is there a clearly defined thesis in the first paragraph?
Does the final paragraph summarize the essay well enough?
Do you cite sources? (Many professors don't even check the sources, just that you cite them, and that they're from reputable sources)