Pregnant woman claims she has right to use of HOV lanes...

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 2:58 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I say that a passenger seat must be occupied.

Texas Law specifically states the Vehicle must be occupied, there is nothing codified into Texas law that specifies any occupant must be seated or that a seat may have more than 1 occupant. Its a loophole, sure, but its an interesting one.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:16 pm

I wonder if Texas will also have to start charging double admissions prices to pregnant women? Or restricting their access from "adults only" venues or other age-restricted areas?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:19 pm

DanielW wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Texas Law specifically states the Vehicle must be occupied, there is nothing codified into Texas law that specifies any occupant must be seated or that a seat may have more than 1 occupant. Its a loophole, sure, but its an interesting one.
What about "Children under the age of 'X', weighing less than 'Y' pounds, or being less than 'Z' inches tall shall be safely secured in an approved child safety seat"?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:28 pm

Another interesting point to be sure.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:35 pm

DanielW wrote:
I wonder if Texas will also have to start charging double admissions prices to pregnant women? Or restricting their access from "adults only" venues or other age-restricted areas?

No! Don't give them ideas. Or it'll end up being 'pregnant women should stay at home and not go anywhere in case they expose the fetus to anything that would corrupt them.' i.e. women should stay at home all the time, pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen. Some groups of people would love that 8O

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:50 pm

KitLily wrote:
DanielW wrote:

No! Don't give them ideas. Or it'll end up being 'pregnant women should stay at home and not go anywhere in case they expose the fetus to anything that would corrupt them.' i.e. women should stay at home all the time, pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen. Some groups of people would love that 8O

Its not my Idea, I'm solidly against it. But now that life begins at conception, it has a whole slew of unintended consequences. As it stands now, its technically, unlawful for anyone who is pregnant to drive or even ride in a car. (as the child must be restrained in an approved carrier.) The law specifically says children can not be "carried" by anyone inside a vehicle.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:02 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
My impression is that only babies born can obtain citizenship in the United States.
So are the fetuses illegal immigrants?

It's not abortion, it's extraction and detention of a non-citizen. :lol:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 10:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mikah wrote:
Your proposal is acceptable - more laws and judgments that define and reinforce the separate nature of mother and unborn...
...from the same politicians that promise "less government".
Less government is desirable, but perhaps not when it comes to child welfare.
Then we are in agreement that the child must be provided for through the social safety net if said child resides in a financially underprivileged home?
That is not what the "Pro-Birth" crowd has in mind when they claim to be "Pro-Life".

Right they really just want to have control over women in this one area because...?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 10:30 pm

DanielW wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes were originally designed to encourage several people to use one vehicle to commute back and forth to work together. It was a flawed idea because it requires people who work together to also live in close proximity to each other and have the same work schedule.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 2:45 am

DanielW wrote:
Its not my Idea, I'm solidly against it. But now that life begins at conception, it has a whole slew of unintended consequences. As it stands now, its technically, unlawful for anyone who is pregnant to drive or even ride in a car. (as the child must be restrained in an approved carrier.) The law specifically says children can not be "carried" by anyone inside a vehicle.

Good. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, consequences the Supreme Court didn't think of when they passed the law, did they! :lol: :x

However, I think this will lead to them eventually saying that due to all these complicated consequences, the simplest rule is that pregnant women mustn't leave the house due to the dangers outside. And as I said, this will lead to: 'women, barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, knowing their place.' :roll:

Humans are going backwards.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 11:57 am

KitLily wrote:
However, I think this will lead to them eventually saying that due to all these complicated consequences, the simplest rule is that pregnant women mustn't leave the house due to the dangers outside. And as I said, this will lead to: 'women, barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, knowing their place.' :roll:

Yes they are.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 12:08 pm

DanielW wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes they are.

I wonder why. It seems that people's brains are devolving. Is it lack of nutritious food? Pollution? Social media? Radio waves? It has to be something. :?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 2:24 pm

Society tend to swing back and forth a bit from liberal to conservative, so that part of it. Politics plays a role, as does the economy. Its not just one thing. Social media doesn't help, in fact it tends to make people feel worse about themselves rather than better. It doesn't really matter what a person's political views are it that regard, the 24 hour news cycle that never ceases bombarding people with bad news tends to make them angry and depressed...that never helps anyone.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 2:33 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes were originally designed to encourage several people to use one vehicle to commute back and forth to work together. It was a flawed idea because it requires people who work together to also live in close proximity to each other and have the same work schedule.

Yes, that's true. If they want to make it work they way it was intended to, they will need to make it 3 occupants (at least during peak driving hours.) They will also have to deal with Urban Sprawl as well.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 3:46 pm

DanielW wrote:
Society tend to swing back and forth a bit from liberal to conservative, so that part of it. Politics plays a role, as does the economy. Its not just one thing. Social media doesn't help, in fact it tends to make people feel worse about themselves rather than better. It doesn't really matter what a person's political views are it that regard, the 24 hour news cycle that never ceases bombarding people with bad news tends to make them angry and depressed...that never helps anyone.

We'll see as time goes by I suppose. I just feel like there is something fundamental affecting human brains these days. No one seems to have any initiative or empathy anymore.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 6:03 pm

KitLily wrote:
We'll see as time goes by I suppose. I just feel like there is something fundamental affecting human brains these days. No one seems to have any initiative or empathy anymore.

People do tend to have a lot less empathy and initiative when they are depressed, tired, over-worked/underpaid and just trying to survive another day. So, yes, it does tie together.

In order to be benevolent, most people need energy and the physical and emotional resources. Those are things in short supply now. That will probably get worse before it gets better.