Pregnant woman claims she has right to use of HOV lanes...

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 5:42 am

DanielW wrote:
People do tend to have a lot less empathy and initiative when they are depressed, tired, over-worked/underpaid and just trying to survive another day. So, yes, it does tie together.

In order to be benevolent, most people need energy and the physical and emotional resources. Those are things in short supply now. That will probably get worse before it gets better.

That's interesting. I thought people were just showing less initiative because all information is spoon fed to them now, they don't have to use their brains to find out anything, it is all on the internet. And they can order exactly what they want 24/7 and have it delivered the next day. Total self indulgence. You know all those companies which have mottos like 'it's all about you' and offer tailored experiences and gifts for each individual? I think those are a big part of the self indulgence culture.

And I thought the same thing was affecting the level of empathy. We have become a passive society, endlessly scrolling through feeds and not taking any action. Everyone else's pain is entertainment to be clicked on, then forgotten. I thought that was the reason we were getting less empathetic.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 8:38 pm

KitLily wrote:
I thought people were just showing less initiative because all information is spoon fed to them now, they don't have to use their brains to find out anything, it is all on the internet.

And even when it IS on the internet ...

That brings to mind a thing which seems to be increasing in online hobby groups, and in comments on YouTube and comments on news articles on Yahoo (they are allowing some commenting again), people will spend the time to go to the group, write a multiple sentence post asking a question, and post it.

And 37 times out of 38 when I plug their question in to my favorite search engine the answer is produced in something like four tenths of a second.

And what is really baffling is when the question post produces a couple pages of people speculating about what the answer might be but no evidence of someone taking 3 seconds to look up the answer.

I don't get it.

I REALLY don't get it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 8:41 pm

DanielW wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes were originally designed to encourage several people to use one vehicle to commute back and forth to work together. It was a flawed idea because it requires people who work together to also live in close proximity to each other and have the same work schedule.

Yes, that's true. If they want to make it work they way it was intended to, they will need to make it 3 occupants (at least during peak driving hours.) They will also have to deal with Urban Sprawl as well.

Texas urban sprawl is the worst, especially Houston. This is why we flood all the time.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 2:34 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
And even when it IS on the internet ...

That brings to mind a thing which seems to be increasing in online hobby groups, and in comments on YouTube and comments on news articles on Yahoo (they are allowing some commenting again), people will spend the time to go to the group, write a multiple sentence post asking a question, and post it.

And 37 times out of 38 when I plug their question in to my favorite search engine the answer is produced in something like four tenths of a second.

And what is really baffling is when the question post produces a couple pages of people speculating about what the answer might be but no evidence of someone taking 3 seconds to look up the answer.

Oh they're allowing comments on Yahoo again?? Uh oh. That place is a sewer of hate.

However...I like to ask people questions. I prefer interacting with people and having conversations with actual humans, to Googling things like a robot. I'm lonely enough, I need some interaction with humans, even if it's only online.

I think that is your answer? People like chatting and interacting with each other.