114 lbs to achieve 10 percent body Fat?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,542
Location: Near London United Kingdom

14 Jul 2022, 1:29 pm

My current weight is 160-161 pounds in the morning at 172cm. I do a lot of exercise and eat healthy during the week also I weight train upper and lower using moderately heavy weights across the week. That said I do drink bud light beer socially on Friday and Saturday which might be making me weigh more than I should do.

On the internet I have come across a few calculators that figure your body fat percentage using BMI. However these calculators are not accurate for everyone since they don't account for muscle. For example if I did not do any weight training at all I would have to get down to 114 lbs to achieve 10 percent body fat.

I want to lower my body fat to get a more toned physique and lose facial fat but do you think 114 lbs is extreme?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 17,958
Location: I'm right here

14 Jul 2022, 1:30 pm

Depends on how much of your current weight is muscle and how much is fat.

If you're rather soft you might be a fatter, skinnier guy than you realize. If you're already low in body fat than you know the math is off.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,542
Location: Near London United Kingdom

14 Jul 2022, 1:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Depends on how much of your current weight is muscle and how much is fat.

If you're rather soft you might be a fatter, skinnier guy than you realize. If you're already low in body fat than you know the math is off.



One of my friends who is in to bodybuilding is 5ft6 and 220 lbs at 26 percent body fat.

Not really sure if that's healthy for him?



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 17,958
Location: I'm right here

14 Jul 2022, 1:49 pm

Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Depends on how much of your current weight is muscle and how much is fat.

If you're rather soft you might be a fatter, skinnier guy than you realize. If you're already low in body fat than you know the math is off.



One of my friends who is in to bodybuilding is 5ft6 and 220 lbs at 26 percent body fat.

Not really sure if that's healthy for him?


Afaik, your joints and your heart doesn't care if the excess body weight is fat or muscle. Some other health issues might play out differently though (like say, type 2 diabetes).


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,542
Location: Near London United Kingdom

14 Jul 2022, 1:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Depends on how much of your current weight is muscle and how much is fat.

If you're rather soft you might be a fatter, skinnier guy than you realize. If you're already low in body fat than you know the math is off.



One of my friends who is in to bodybuilding is 5ft6 and 220 lbs at 26 percent body fat.

Not really sure if that's healthy for him?


Afaik, your joints and your heart doesn't care if the excess body weight is fat or muscle. Some other health issues might play out differently though (like say, type 2 diabetes).


True



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,834
Location: Queens, NYC

14 Jul 2022, 7:57 pm

That's actually pretty good: 26% body fat when he's 5 foot 6 and 220 lbs. He must have lots of muscle.

I'm 5 foot 5, and weigh about 165, and have about 23% body fat.

Weighing 114 lbs at 172 cm would be ridiculously skinny.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,542
Location: Near London United Kingdom

15 Jul 2022, 5:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's actually pretty good: 26% body fat when he's 5 foot 6 and 220 lbs. He must have lots of muscle.

I'm 5 foot 5, and weigh about 165, and have about 23% body fat.

Weighing 114 lbs at 172 cm would be ridiculously skinny.



26 percent body fat isn't healthy though. A man should not be over 25 percent body fat.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,834
Location: Queens, NYC

15 Jul 2022, 5:48 am

It’s not terrible, either.

Most people 5 foot 6 and 220 lbs probably have over 30% body fat.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,542
Location: Near London United Kingdom

15 Jul 2022, 5:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not terrible, either.

Most people 5 foot 6 and 220 lbs probably have over 30% body fat.



Before covid I lifted heavy weights like a madman at the gym yet could not get over 160-168 lbs. And yet my friend is 2 inches shorter than me and weight 220 :?



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,834
Location: Queens, NYC

15 Jul 2022, 7:48 am

That's just the luck of the draw, my friend.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,542
Location: Near London United Kingdom

15 Jul 2022, 7:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's just the luck of the draw, my friend.



Really? I thought anyone could achieve a hulking physique if they put enough effort into it?

It's funny because when I was 20 and worked out at the gym I weighed 174 pounds at my heaviest.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,834
Location: Queens, NYC

15 Jul 2022, 8:08 am

I used to lift weights a lot, too. I never achieved a "hulking physique."

People with "hulking physiques" usually appear grotesque to prospective romantic partners.

Lifting weights make you stronger----but it might not make you APPEAR stronger at first glance.



Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,542
Location: Near London United Kingdom

15 Jul 2022, 8:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to lift weights a lot, too. I never achieved a "hulking physique."

People with "hulking physiques" usually appear grotesque to prospective romantic partners.

Lifting weights make you stronger----but it might not make you APPEAR stronger at first glance.



I wonder if I might have ‘sarcopenia’ which causes gradual muscle loss.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,834
Location: Queens, NYC

15 Jul 2022, 8:13 am

I really doubt it....



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,155
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

21 Aug 2022, 10:52 am

I think you're fine at the weight that you are. If you weighed 114 lbs, you wouldn't be able to get out of bed.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 48
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 22 May 2016
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 302

22 Aug 2022, 10:41 am

Jamesy wrote:
One of my friends who is in to bodybuilding is 5ft6 and 220 lbs at 26 percent body fat.
Not really sure if that's healthy for him?


Some bodybuilders that want to focus more on performance than aesthetics might be in the 15-20% range. But 26% is way too high.

Maybe he's bulking too quickly. The body builds muscle slower than fat, so when you bulk, it's better to have a small surplus (i.e. +300) instead of a large one. Otherwise, maybe 2 out of every 10 lbs you gain is muscle and the rest is fat.