Survey Looks at Acceptance of Political Violence in U.S.

Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:30 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well with all the right wing bumper stickers about a desire to shoot liberals and/or leftists I wonder who will start said conflict... I wonder would it be the people with oversized pick up trucks with those trashy stickers on them or the oh so terrible liberals and leftists.

Idk about anyone else but I absolutely love peoples bumper stickers saying they'd want to shoot someone like me just for existing, really makes trips to the grocery store feel very safe. Let alone walmart, for sure my hypervigilance is always on high alert there. But as I say I just love it...ha ha.

I feel ya, I just don't feel safe anymore now. If I were wealthy I'd move out of this stupid country. But I'm just stuck here like many others waiting for the **** to hit the fan.

I have to wonder if this was what the few sane individuals living in 1930's Germany who were not swept away by Nazism and saw through Hitler's evil felt? Especially the ones who were simply too poor to just pick up and leave their country before things got really bad. They must have been experiencing the same level of stress and anxiety and downright fear seeing all the insanity that was happening to their country.

Yeah moving out is a nice fantasy but idk where would we go, we don't have college degrees and I am on SSI with a part time job, no other countries want us. So chances are we'll be stuck here for the worst of it, It's mad max for us...except U.S desert instead of Australia.

Yes same here, Im on SSI and depend on my mom for a lot of support. I can't even drive...

And yes I don't see other countries being generous enough in taking in American refugees. Even the Canadians who are supposed to be so much "nicer" than us horrible yanks are talking about wanting to build stronger security around their borders to keep America's increasing instability out of their country.

Surely I'm not the only one who sees the irony in how Canadians look their noses down on us Americans for how badly we've treated people crossing the Southern border into our country seeking a better life and yet they wish to do the same exact same thing to Americans just trying to flee from all the crazy Trumpism?

Stuff like that really makes me feel comfortable in my own misanthropic contempt for humanity.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:41 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well with all the right wing bumper stickers about a desire to shoot liberals and/or leftists I wonder who will start said conflict... I wonder would it be the people with oversized pick up trucks with those trashy stickers on them or the oh so terrible liberals and leftists.

Idk about anyone else but I absolutely love peoples bumper stickers saying they'd want to shoot someone like me just for existing, really makes trips to the grocery store feel very safe. Let alone walmart, for sure my hypervigilance is always on high alert there. But as I say I just love it...ha ha.

I feel ya, I just don't feel safe anymore now. If I were wealthy I'd move out of this stupid country. But I'm just stuck here like many others waiting for the **** to hit the fan.

I have to wonder if this was what the few sane individuals living in 1930's Germany who were not swept away by Nazism and saw through Hitler's evil felt? Especially the ones who were simply too poor to just pick up and leave their country before things got really bad. They must have been experiencing the same level of stress and anxiety and downright fear seeing all the insanity that was happening to their country.

Yeah moving out is a nice fantasy but idk where would we go, we don't have college degrees and I am on SSI with a part time job, no other countries want us. So chances are we'll be stuck here for the worst of it, It's mad max for us...except U.S desert instead of Australia.

Yes same here, Im on SSI and depend on my mom for a lot of support. I can't even drive...

And yes I don't see other countries being generous enough in taking in American refugees. Even the Canadians who are supposed to be so much "nicer" than us horrible yanks are talking about wanting to build stronger security around their borders to keep America's increasing instability out of their country.

Surely I'm not the only one who sees the irony in how Canadians look their noses down on us Americans for how badly we've treated people crossing the Southern border into our country seeking a better life and yet they wish to do the same exact same thing to Americans just trying to flee from all the crazy Trumpism?

Stuff like that really makes me feel comfortable in my own misanthropic contempt for humanity.

I have a permit and I am 33 as of the 19th of August, I mean I can drive...if I learn again just never got the chance to get a drivers liscence idk part of it is I didn't bother as I have never owned a vehicle. but idk it would probably help me and my bf if I got a liscence so I could do some of the driving instead of it always having to be him. But yeah it is just we do not really have skills that would help us get to another country like sure maybe we would try but well I think more likely we will just have to figure out how to survive here as long as we can after things hit the fan. If we die maybe we can at least make a good mad max run first and die in battle with some janky mad max car we make to charge in so likely goodbye and Valhalla for us if the world collapse does come to pass.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
That is not what the bumper stickers imply...there are some for sure agressive ones, sure there are the blue line stickers which is one thing I suppose but then there are the ones that literally say on them that they want to shoot liberals and leftists maybe you have not seen those in your area but you see them around here more often than is comfortable.

I wouldn't take bumper stickers too literally as a source of information, they're meant to convey attitude in a short space so hyperbole is going to get pretty out there. Personally, I just think they're tacky and avoid putting any on my car, wouldn't want to broadcast my views to the world at large.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:46 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

You're definitely not the only one who noticed that, everywhere you look there are hypocrites to be found.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:57 am

Dox47 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
That is not what the bumper stickers imply...there are some for sure agressive ones, sure there are the blue line stickers which is one thing I suppose but then there are the ones that literally say on them that they want to shoot liberals and leftists maybe you have not seen those in your area but you see them around here more often than is comfortable.

I wouldn't take bumper stickers too literally as a source of information, they're meant to convey attitude in a short space so hyperbole is going to get pretty out there. Personally, I just think they're tacky and avoid putting any on my car, wouldn't want to broadcast my views to the world at large.

You could be right, but yeah I hate some of what I see.

That said my boyfriend specifically does not put any stickers on his car because he doesn't like his vehicle to stick out just wants it to look as generic and unnotcable as possible just a plain Subero with no stickers or any decor. If anything plain subereu we leave piles of trash in...ha ha no one would want to steal that problem...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 9:56 am

Those who talk about “shooting leftists” usually have no idea about what a “leftist” truly is.

A “leftist” is not necessarily one who speaks out against racism and other forms of discrimination.

There are true leftists who are as racist as hell.

Anyway……why would anybody want to shoot anybody for espousing such ideas as “equality under the law”? Or for advocating that true history be taught, rather than sweeping it under the rug.

If I were in “shooting mode” (note: I am not), I would most likely feel like shooting an anti-Semite. People who believe in regressive ideals in general.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 10:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Those who talk about “shooting leftists” usually have no idea about what a “leftist” truly is.

A “leftist” is not necessarily one who speaks out against racism and other forms of discrimination.

Anyway……why would anybody want to shoot anybody for espousing such ideas as “equality under the law”? Or for advocating that true history be taught, rather than sweeping it under the rug.

If I were in “shooting mode” (note: I am not), I would most likely feel like shooting an anti-Semite. People who believe in regressive ideals in general.

My mom explained it all to me in one word the other day: fear.

I'm not one of those who thinks all white people are racist and evil, but a lot of white people really do have a fear of people they don't understand which is what leads to racism and oppression imo.

I think most of these angry redneck types (and not just rednecks of course) have to realize on some level why so many black people hate them or don't trust them, but it's a very uncomfortable truth that creates feelings of fear and maybe even guilt. But unfortunately a lot of these people l react with anger and hostility.

It's just a very complex problem. But fear is one of the driving factors in the "fight or flight" reaction.

I think in a perfect world the grudges over race, gender, religion, and sexuality would be long forgotten and we could all learn to just get along. But sadly I don't think it ever will happen. All any of us can really do is try to be as decent a human to other humans as we can be

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 10:24 am

And think of it like this. When they started teaching the 'real' history of this country and not all the whitewashed nonsense, that means that white Americans will have to face the fact that there is a lot to be genuinenly ashamed of about our country. Nobody likes to feel bad about what they identify as even if it is the truth.

But with all that said, I think there are better ways BLM and SJWs could have handled this without literally demonizing the entire white race ('White Devils' as Malcom X called us). They shouldnt make generalizing claims that all white people are racist or that only white people are racist. No human being responds well to being told that they are inherintly "bad" and that's probably why they recieved such a hostile backlash that ruined the fight for social justice in this country.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 10:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

When I hear that kind of talk, the "leftists" being referred to are usually of the "individuals have no rights, the state knows best" variety, and it's often framed as a form of self defense.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 11:15 am

I can relate to the libertarian viewpoint—but It can’t see how they can espouse some “conservative” viewpoints.”

It makes even less sense that a libertarian can support Trump. Trump espouses the antithesis of libertarian values. He believes in totalitarianism.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 11 Sep 2022, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 11:16 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

This is BS. During trump's reign of terror, Justin Trudeau's government quietly relaxed the rules for Americans to come to Canada - requiring fewer "points," in our scoring system/giving away bonus points for speaking English and coming from a similar culture - something like tha

Canada doesn't give a flying F about college educations from foreign countries. PHD's make my subway sandwiches and drive taxis. Foreigners are often surprised that their high level educations count for F all here. You wanna move to Canada? Have a skilled trade certification and some money. We need bricklayers and carpenters, plumbers and welders, - builders, makers, fabricators, constructors, producers & creators of all kinds. Getting into Canada is DEAD EASY if you work with your hands and are young, healthy, and can work and pay taxes for a long time.

Also, you don't have to be granted permanent resident status from day one. People can get hired for a job and come on a work permit (like a green card) and then be here and work and apply for more permits and then permanent resident and then citizenship if they follow all the proper paperwork processes. There are too many open jobs people are too lazy to do here because everyone wants to do some nerd desk job, so it's DEAD EASY to get hired to be a drywaller or a concrete forming carpenter etc. Show up and bust your ass and pay taxes to the man and they let people stay.

Finding an affordable place to live, on the other hand.. that's the real challenge.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 11:26 am

Well forgive me for trusting the American media that paints every country that isnt our own in a horrible light, not to mention the Canadians I've met online who told me they wish they could build a wall around their border.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 11:43 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Well forgive me for trusting the American media that paints every country that isnt our own in a horrible light, not to mention the Canadians I've met online who told me they wish they could build a wall around their border.

American media is trying to scare Americans into staying there and paying taxes to them? :? Wow.

Canadians have wanted to build walls since long before donald trump. Mostly the running joke has been wanting to build one around Quebec.. and then fill it up with water.

As for the US border, the running joke during trump's build the wall BS was "Plant the hedge, plant the hedge," which was really only a comedian or two that came up with it and a few internet memes/satirical articles about planting a privacy hedge across the entire border so we don't have to look at our neighbours or have them looking in at us. No one's actually serious about building a wall across the US border - we can't afford it.. it's the world's largest unprotected border and runs 8,891km. No one's building a wall that long. Both sides have surveillance cameras, motion sensors, infrared cameras etc along common smuggling route areas as well as vehicles and law enforcement agents that patrol. When I ride my motorcycle down Zero Avenue there's often a US border patrol truck parked somewhere on the US side. For miles and miles and miles the only thing that separates Canada and the US in that extremely beautiful scene stretch of road is a ditch and then there are farm fields, huge back yards, or ponds/wetlands on the South side of it. If I had a different kind of motorcycle I could just criss cross the border. I HAVE criss crossed the border on a kiteboard on the ocean kiteboarding off Centennial beach next to Point Roberts Wa.'s Maple beach - there's a big concrete border marker in the ocean about a 1/2 mile or so out. I also accidentally crossed the border on a seadoo on Osoyoos lake once when I was ripping like 100kmh and didn't realize I'd blown passed the border until I shoulder checked and saw the marker. I've never illegally crossed anywhere on land, though.. as over time the US has stepped up surveillance and gone are the days when young people go buy a bunch of cheap beer in Washington and toss it to their buddies across the ditch - that was a generation before me.

Anyways, maybe try actually looking up the requirements to move to Canada. They've been relaxed slightly for Americans so Americans have an edge over any others in the world, really. Canada likes their taxpayers already familiar with our language and way of life. We'll take your skilled trades people, healthcare workers, and maybe engineers. No one cares about your arts degree or whatever - it's "What can you do with your hands to help us build?"

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:12 pm

Yeah pretty much, I've come to realize that there's just as much propaganda everywhere in American media (everything from the news to Hollywood) as there is in Russia or China.

And it's always been that way in my country. I guess it really is like they want all Americans to think that the rest of the world is this big scary evil place that hates us.

I don't believe China or Russia are much different in that regard. Why do the world's biggest countries cause the biggest problems for the world? Lol

But anyways I apologize for being so quick to judge Canada so negatively. I really should not have done that especially since I've never even been to Canada.

I would give moving there a shot now if I believed I had a chance in doing it. Or even Mexico. I have a hispanic friend who tells me that Mexico isnt all terrible like they make it sound on the news and on movies and he says I would really enjoy some of the culture there plus a lot of Mexicans he says actually speak English so I would not have to learn to understand Spanish. :D

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:16 pm

You know, in the past while still within a post 9/11 America, we would never wish such a terrible tragedy on anyone, not even our enemies nor our rivals.

Now we are so politically charged and divided that some, if not most, would rather 9/11 happen again one thousand times all at once then allow an opposing political party any sort of victory.

I know what I hate in life and I love the fact that I hate these things in life.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 12:22 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
And think of it like this. When they started teaching the 'real' history of this country and not all the whitewashed nonsense, that means that white Americans will have to face the fact that there is a lot to be genuinenly ashamed of about our country. Nobody likes to feel bad about what they identify as even if it is the truth.

Some of us feel the some of the changes in how history is being taught in some places has changed from whitewashing the bad parts, to giving false nefarious explanations for the good parts.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman