Nick Sandmann Loses Defamation Lawsuits Against CBS, others

Page 1 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 6:13 pm

Former Covington Catholic Student Nick Sandmann Loses Defamation Lawsuits Against CBS, ABC, NYT, and Others

Quote:
After years of politically charged litigation, former Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann has lost a round of high-profile defamation lawsuits against five mainstream media companies at the summary judgment stage. That’s according to court dockets and an opinion and order signed by a federal judge in the Eastern District of Kentucky on Tuesday.

Sandmann’s cases against ABC News, Rolling Stone magazine, CBS News, newspaper and television station owner Gannett, and The New York Times are now officially listed as “terminated” on the court record.
The Court allowed these cases to proceed to discovery based on the allegations of plaintiff’s complaints and a belief that some development of the context of this incident may be helpful. The parties shrewdly agreed to phased discovery allowing the above legal issues to be revisited by the Court before the parties embarked on further expensive and time-consuming discovery and possibly trials, all of which would be wasted should the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit agree with this Opinion.

And finally, the Court has reached its conclusions with fealty to the law as its primary concern, with no consideration of the rancorous political debate associated with these cases.

Sandmann's suit is done like dinner. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 6:45 pm

At the time and still, I find Philips at fault. Not disputing the legal reasoning involved but to prove libel is to say the suing party was hurt by the media. Due to publicity Nick Sandmann's became a brand and a "heroic victim" one at that. A speaker's spot at the Republican convention, support from the President. If that is hurt I want to become a masochist.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 10:09 pm

Children shouldn’t get rewarded for bad behavior.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 11:13 pm

It's hard to deny that media misrepresented the story and only only a portion of the video was presented for political expediency. The calling for doxing a 16-year-old for wearing a MAGA hat was revolting.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 11:22 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
It's hard to deny that media misrepresented the story and only only a portion of the video was presented for political expediency. The calling for doxing a 16-year-old for wearing a MAGA hat was revolting.

That he is now a 20-year-old very willing to be a victim symbol for Trumpers does not change this.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 11:54 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

That he is now a 20-year-old very willing to be a victim symbol for Trumpers does not change this.

Exactly. I think the saddest reality of our political system is that people are so willing to be herded to the opposite team when the logical solution would be to abandon the entire system.

(That was a bit of a run-on sentence. My apologies. )

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 2:01 am

If Sandmann ever sets foot in Australia then this is what will be awaiting him

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 2:02 am

VegetableMan wrote:

Wasn't just the pathetic hat, he and his buddies were racially vilifying an old Indian man.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 2:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Wasn't just the pathetic hat, he and his buddies were racially vilifying an old Indian man.

No. I don't think you either remember the story, or you never actually watched the entire video.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 3:54 am

VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

No. I don't think you either remember the story, or you never actually watched the entire video.

We created a 50 page thread on this kid that got locked eventually

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

We created a 50 page thread on this kid that got locked eventually

Of course I remember that. It was an excellent exposure of just how disgusting CNN had been reporting the story, initially only showing half the story. The Israelites were taunting both the high school students, and the native Americans, with inflammatory rhetoric.

Hence my comment that you didn't watch the entire video because you didn't seem to absorb those facts.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 9:40 am

Good.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 12:56 pm

Waiting for Nick “Trumpster Boy” Sandmann to file suit against the OP for starting this thread.

:roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 4:32 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
It was an excellent exposure of just how disgusting CNN had been reporting the story, initially only showing half the story. The Israelites were taunting both the high school students, and the native Americans, with inflammatory rhetoric..

Interesting, so hypothetically if homeless people taunt a school excursion the students have the right to call them names back and racially taunt an old man who appeared to the students to intervene to tell them to not listen to the homeless people?

If you watch the faces of the school boys (including Sandmann) they were laughing and smirking as they were taunting the old man. As already documented by other witnesses wearing those MAGA hats emboldened these boys to misbehave and it's curious their targets that day were - pro-abortion people, young girls whom they called names, black men (the same group of boys regularly target black basketball players from other schools) and one native American. Coincidence?

I think most of the blame should go on the school excursion organisers who permitted this type of behaviour. There was a cover up afterward because a) the boy's behaviour ruined Trump's brand b) the school appeared to be enabling their behavior and c) the parents wanted this to go away.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 5:45 pm

Oh, God! This is not about Sandman or any of the other players in that little drama. It's about the dishonest way the U.S. media operates for a poltical agenda.

You're defending the indefensible.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
the boy's behaviour ruined Trump's brand

Bad behavior is Trump’s brand. If the parents wanted it to go away hiring MAGA lawyers to sue famous media companies is a funny way to go about it.