Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,019
Location: Stendec

08 Aug 2022, 4:54 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Obviously, money is important, but if it were solely about money, people would choose different professions and no one would be teaching.
Which seems to be the way the current situation is trending, although it may never get that far.
I am seeing some older adults switch careers to teaching because they want employment that is more fulfilling.At any rate, I wouldn’t complain if they increased teachers’ salaries to entice new teachers.
I doubt that any school district could afford the amount that would entice me to become a teacher.


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans •


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 17,958
Location: I'm right here

08 Aug 2022, 4:57 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Of course not, it came out of the rear-end of some far-right political strategist.


Just keep telling yourself that, lol.


It's fair to notice that there's teachers who are predators, but the idea that they're all part of some agenda to sexualize children is astroturf. You can deny it but it's something that anyone can observe and evaluate for themselves.

If we'd like to discuss groomers perhaps it's time to turn our attention to youth pastors.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Last edited by funeralxempire on 08 Aug 2022, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

08 Aug 2022, 4:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Obviously, money is important, but if it were solely about money, people would choose different professions and no one would be teaching.
Which seems to be the way the current situation is trending, although it may never get that far.
I am seeing some older adults switch careers to teaching because they want employment that is more fulfilling.At any rate, I wouldn’t complain if they increased teachers’ salaries to entice new teachers.
I doubt that any school district could afford the amount that would entice me to become a teacher.


I love the kids, but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to manage my current position forever. I might try something slightly different eventually. We’ll see.


_________________
Away.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,990

08 Aug 2022, 4:59 pm

Older adults do occasionally switch careers but do they learn quite fast that teaching is not cut out for them. Inner suburban schools around the world are a war zone. I knew a fellow microbiologist who had a career change in his 40s and went into teaching (for the same reasons as me as lab jobs were hard to get). He lasted 1 week teaching in an inner city school when a group of high school boys locked him in a store room cupboard and he was stuck in their the who day as nobody heard him till the cleaner came the next day. They never caught the culprits and he had PTSD and left the profession.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

08 Aug 2022, 5:01 pm

Many others love it and stick with it.

I don’t think I would enjoy teaching high school, though.

My students are, currently, between 2nd and 4th grade. I might get some 5th graders, too. We’ll see.


_________________
Away.


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,245
Location: Seattle-ish

08 Aug 2022, 5:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It's fair to notice that there's teachers who are predators, but the idea that they're all part of some agenda to sexualize children is astroturf. You can deny it but it's something that anyone can observe and evaluate for themselves.

If we'd like to discuss groomers perhaps it's time to turn our attention to youth pastors.


I'm actually trying to keep this relatively on topic, as a digression on this subject could go very far afield, but I think it would be foolish to dismiss this as a ginned up controversy when it's based on leaked documents and teachers' own social media accounts. I'm also unsympathetic to complaints about misuse of the term "groomer", as that is straight out of the left wing playbook, appropriating a term with high emotional valence and applying it to your political opponents (see: the defining down of racism), turn about is fair play and people like me have been warning about this for years.

As to the crack about youth pastors, you seem to have mistaken me for someone who cares about religion, as opposed to the atheist/agnostic I actually am.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 17,958
Location: I'm right here

08 Aug 2022, 5:49 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It's fair to notice that there's teachers who are predators, but the idea that they're all part of some agenda to sexualize children is astroturf. You can deny it but it's something that anyone can observe and evaluate for themselves.

If we'd like to discuss groomers perhaps it's time to turn our attention to youth pastors.


I'm actually trying to keep this relatively on topic, as a digression on this subject could go very far afield, but I think it would be foolish to dismiss this as a ginned up controversy when it's based on leaked documents and teachers' own social media accounts. I'm also unsympathetic to complaints about misuse of the term "groomer", as that is straight out of the left wing playbook, appropriating a term with high emotional valence and applying it to your political opponents (see: the defining down of racism), turn about is fair play and people like me have been warning about this for years.

As to the crack about youth pastors, you seem to have mistaken me for someone who cares about religion, as opposed to the atheist/agnostic I actually am.


I'm not suggesting you're religious, I've been under the impression that you're not. I'm saying if people want to be taken seriously about their concerns they need to be focused more broadly than just on teachers.

Instead it comes from the same people who've been attacking education for years on many fronts, and the whole groomers thing is just another revolting front for them to open.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,245
Location: Seattle-ish

08 Aug 2022, 6:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm saying if people want to be taken seriously about their concerns they need to be focused more broadly than just on teachers.


Just because they're being hypocrites doesn't mean there isn't an actual issue there.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 17,958
Location: I'm right here

08 Aug 2022, 6:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I'm saying if people want to be taken seriously about their concerns they need to be focused more broadly than just on teachers.


Just because they're being hypocrites doesn't mean there isn't an actual issue there.


If their hypocrisy is common knowledge that greatly undermines any attempts to portray them as motivated by good-faith and if they're not motivated by good faith, how seriously do they deserve to be taken?


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


ilovepalmtrees
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 65

08 Aug 2022, 7:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
In Australia there are so many regulations on teaching children that now you need a masters degree in early education to change a nappy in daycare, Coupled with the uncompetitive salary and there's a high attrition among teachers. There is a general feeling among teachers that they are not appreciated,

Even in universities the research academics look at those of us who are "education focused" as losers. It's no wonder there is a belief in the private sector that "those who can't teach". But by jeeves, those same ignorant snobs expect (no demand) their little darlings get the best quality education :roll:


How entitled of them to consider teachers "losers" while expecting a high quality education for their precious child.



ilovepalmtrees
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 65

08 Aug 2022, 7:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Obviously, money is important, but if it were solely about money, people would choose different professions and no one would be teaching.
Which seems to be the way the current situation is trending, although it may never get that far.
I am seeing some older adults switch careers to teaching because they want employment that is more fulfilling.At any rate, I wouldn’t complain if they increased teachers’ salaries to entice new teachers.
I doubt that any school district could afford the amount that would entice me to become a teacher.


This is exactly why we need more funding for education. Anyone who considers themselves "pro-life" should be for more education funding so EVERY child can have a quality education.



ilovepalmtrees
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 65

08 Aug 2022, 7:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I'm sure all of the crazies acting like every teacher is a groomer doesn't help.


I'm not a fan of that either, however, the accusation didn't come out of thin air.


Of course not, it came out of the rear-end of some far-right political strategist.


The groomer thing was started by transphobes who don't believe gender identity should be taught in schools or that trans children should have their identity affirmed, such as using chosen names and pronouns.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,019
Location: Stendec

08 Aug 2022, 7:41 pm

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Anyone who considers themselves "pro-life" should be for more education funding so EVERY child can have a quality education.
There is a problem with that: Many who claim to be “Pro-Life” are really just “Pro-Birth”, and could not possibly care less about what happens to someone else’s children after they are born.

This includes providing funding for quality education.


_________________
 
• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans •


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

08 Aug 2022, 7:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Anyone who considers themselves "pro-life" should be for more education funding so EVERY child can have a quality education.
There is a problem with that: Many who claim to be “Pro-Life” are really just “Pro-Birth”, and could not possibly care less about what happens to someone else’s children after they are born.

This includes providing funding for quality education.


I live in a very conservative county and parent groups have complained on Facebook that we make too much money. :roll:


_________________
Away.


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,245
Location: Seattle-ish

08 Aug 2022, 8:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If their hypocrisy is common knowledge that greatly undermines any attempts to portray them as motivated by good-faith and if they're not motivated by good faith, how seriously do they deserve to be taken?


The leaked documents and social media posts speak for themselves just fine.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


ilovepalmtrees
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 65

08 Aug 2022, 8:26 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
Anyone who considers themselves "pro-life" should be for more education funding so EVERY child can have a quality education.
There is a problem with that: Many who claim to be “Pro-Life” are really just “Pro-Birth”, and could not possibly care less about what happens to someone else’s children after they are born.

This includes providing funding for quality education.


I live in a very conservative county and parent groups have complained on Facebook that we make too much money. :roll:


If they had their way they would then complain about classrooms being overcrowded and how their precious child's education is not challenging enough.