To Woke, or not to Woke. Mr. Apu on the Simpsons.

Page 7 of 17 [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,207

15 Aug 2022, 1:14 am

ironpony wrote:
But it's still a case of people wanting to have it both ways and you can't have it both ways.


And you can't please all of the people all of the time either



The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,121
Location: Vancouver Canada

15 Aug 2022, 3:44 am

Reminds me of Native Canadians wanting to be called indian. This was common during the last PC era around 1990

Also in the soupline they used to call 'handicaps' first, when they started calling them disabled around Y2K, the handicaps protested vigorously



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,823
Location: temperate zone

15 Aug 2022, 6:18 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Oh okay I live in Saskatchewan, Canada where I would say about 20 or more percent of convenience store workers are of South Asian area looking decent. So I guess I was going by my area more so. But if this is a stereotype then why are about 20 percent of convenience store workers, choosing to be a stereotype then, if it's a stereotype?


Me personally I am not so invested in the Apu character and don't care either way. But as I pointed out, the issue isn't about wokeness so much as Hank Azaria playing a Indian character


Oh I see. But in terms of being politically accurate, how come it's considered politically inaccurate for Apu to be voiced by a non-Indian actor, but Bart Simpson, who is male, is voiced by a female, but yet that is totally acceptable?


Yeah this was asked before. The answer is that an opportunity has been provided to female voice actor over a male which is less of an issue since males get more acting jobs.


WOW. You politicize everything!

I was gonna say "because Bart Simpson is not a grown man, but a teen boy. And teen boys, and adult woman both tend to have voices in the same alto range so there is nothing degrading nor innaccurate about it."

But you made it about affirmative action. :lol:

The two answers are not mutually exclusive. They could both be right I suppose.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,032
Location: Queens, NYC

15 Aug 2022, 6:20 am

I thought Bart is about 10 years old.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,823
Location: temperate zone

15 Aug 2022, 6:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I thought Bart is about 10 years old.


Actually he probably is a 'pre teen'. All the more reason to have him voiced by an adult woman.



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 38
Posts: 5,394
Location: canada

15 Aug 2022, 9:31 am

Oh well my point is is that they want you to be voiced by someone who is the race accurate to the character, but yet they are ok with Bart not being voiced by a real of preteen male. Double standard it seems like.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,823
Location: temperate zone

15 Aug 2022, 12:00 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh well my point is is that they want you to be voiced by someone who is the race accurate to the character, but yet they are ok with Bart not being voiced by a real of preteen male. Double standard it seems like.


I actually dont have a problem with Apu being voiced by an American White guy.

But if they made a live action movie out of the Simpsons (like theyve done with the Flintstones), and Apu were played by a White dude in brown face then (to me) that would be different.



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 38
Posts: 5,394
Location: canada

15 Aug 2022, 2:00 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Oh well my point is is that they want you to be voiced by someone who is the race accurate to the character, but yet they are ok with Bart not being voiced by a real of preteen male. Double standard it seems like.


I actually dont have a problem with Apu being voiced by an American White guy.

But if they made a live action movie out of the Simpsons (like theyve done with the Flintstones), and Apu were played by a White dude in brown face then (to me) that would be different.


Oh yes I agree that would be different and I would have a problem with that too.

but it seems to me there are certain things that are easy for you after to fake though that people have a problem with nowadays.

Tom Hanks for example recently came out and said he regretted playing a gay man in Philadelphia since he himself is not gay.

But you don't see an actor who is gay such as say Neil Patrick Harris, coming out and saying how he regrets playing his straight roles.

Or for example I have gotten some acting jobs so far, but I'm autistic, so does that mean I shouldn't have played NT character parts?

Aren't things getting kind of out if hand politically there?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,207

15 Aug 2022, 4:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But if they made a live action movie out of the Simpsons (like theyve done with the Flintstones), and Apu were played by a White dude in brown face then (to me) that would be different.


This happened in Star wars with the animated character Ashoka Tano. For some years the voice actor was a petite blonde actress (Eckstein) but the character was a girl/woman of colour

But fans got so used to the voice they were keen for Exkstein to play the character. But fortunately the writers saw sense and picked Rosario Dawson who at least resembled the animated character.



vividgroovy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 20 Dec 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 220
Location: Santa Maria, CA

15 Aug 2022, 5:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But if they made a live action movie out of the Simpsons (like theyve done with the Flintstones), and Apu were played by a White dude in brown face then (to me) that would be different.


This happened in Star wars with the animated character Ashoka Tano. For some years the voice actor was a petite blonde actress (Eckstein) but the character was a girl/woman of colour

But fans got so used to the voice they were keen for Exkstein to play the character. But fortunately the writers saw sense and picked Rosario Dawson who at least resembled the animated character.



In what sense is Ahsoka "[a person] of color?" Ahsoka is a Togruta, not a human. Her skin is orange. Does any character of a fictional humanoid race with a fictional skin color (orange, blue, green, etc., colors humans aren't) count as a person of color?



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,823
Location: temperate zone

15 Aug 2022, 6:09 pm

vividgroovy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But if they made a live action movie out of the Simpsons (like theyve done with the Flintstones), and Apu were played by a White dude in brown face then (to me) that would be different.


This happened in Star wars with the animated character Ashoka Tano. For some years the voice actor was a petite blonde actress (Eckstein) but the character was a girl/woman of colour

But fans got so used to the voice they were keen for Exkstein to play the character. But fortunately the writers saw sense and picked Rosario Dawson who at least resembled the animated character.



In what sense is Ahsoka "[a person] of color?" Ahsoka is a Togruta, not a human. Her skin is orange. Does any character of a fictional humanoid race with a fictional skin color (orange, blue, green, etc., colors humans aren't) count as a person of color?


Now that someone has informed me who this "Ahsoka" character is all that I can do is...

:lol: :lol: :lol:



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,207

16 Aug 2022, 3:34 am

vividgroovy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
But if they made a live action movie out of the Simpsons (like theyve done with the Flintstones), and Apu were played by a White dude in brown face then (to me) that would be different.


This happened in Star wars with the animated character Ashoka Tano. For some years the voice actor was a petite blonde actress (Eckstein) but the character was a girl/woman of colour

But fans got so used to the voice they were keen for Exkstein to play the character. But fortunately the writers saw sense and picked Rosario Dawson who at least resembled the animated character.



In what sense is Ahsoka "[a person] of color?" Ahsoka is a Togruta, not a human. Her skin is orange. Does any character of a fictional humanoid race with a fictional skin color (orange, blue, green, etc., colors humans aren't) count as a person of color?


That's cute, All the "humanoid" aliens fall into some type of "human" race. It's not rocket science.
Ashoka Tano is Togruta but she's also dark skinned

In casting it was kind of a no-brainer casing a woman of colour over the original voice actor

Image

Image



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,823
Location: temperate zone

16 Aug 2022, 3:51 am

Well...some of my friends insist that the monster plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" has 'many Black traits', and he is not even a 'humanoid', but a friggin plant.

But the 80's movie monster plant was voiced by Levi Stubbs, a founding member of the Sixties Motown group 'the Four Tops'- and an African American. So I guess that they designed the plant to "resemble" the voice actor--at least resemble around the mouth area.


https://youtu.be/GLjook1I0V4



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,032
Location: Queens, NYC

16 Aug 2022, 9:15 am

The plant certainly had an African-American/Southern sort of accent.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,145
Location: UK

16 Aug 2022, 6:36 pm

Funny how the episode Homer Badman didn't cause a controversy about Scottish people being perverts spying on people. I bet if Groundskeeper Willie was Indian or African or Japanese or whatever there'd be an uproar and the episode would probably have got banned. :roll:


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,207

17 Aug 2022, 2:26 am

Joe90 wrote:
Funny how the episode Homer Badman didn't cause a controversy about Scottish people being perverts spying on people. I bet if Groundskeeper Willie was Indian or African or Japanese or whatever there'd be an uproar and the episode would probably have got banned. :roll:


hmmmm...valid point...