Page 2 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,926
Location: temperate zone

13 Aug 2022, 1:10 pm

All American autistics favor abolishing the current electorial system, and instead...they all back picking the next POTUS by the means of rigorously grilling each candidate on their knowledge of Star Trek trivia. The one who knows the most becomes the highest official in the land.

Its all in the DSM if you dont believe me.



ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,111

14 Aug 2022, 9:18 am

Autism might have some effect on our political views, but not in a way that makes us all see politics in the same way.

I've always thought my ASD may have influenced my politicial views. I've never been prone to emotional contagion, so when politicians and the media try to use it to persuade me of anything, I just make for the exit door and wonder why they thought making a song and dance about an issue would work on me. And my science skills may be partly due to ASD, and people skilled in science may be less likely to jump to conclusions or get swayed by faulty arguments. Similarly, I can see through most advertising hype, which could have put me off capitalism, being so aware of how dishonest the sellers are and how little they care about whether or not buying their stuff would do me any good. And my ASD makes me a little unusual and eccentric, which has probably led to some mutual dislike between me and mainstream society, so that I tend to see the world as rather dystopian, and to think that if anybody's got it sussed, it's the oddballs and misfits.

But I don't know exactly what my political views are. I strongly disapprove of the right wing but I don't know that the left would ever make things much better, even if they got the chance, which doesn't seem likely in the foreseeable future. I sometimes think we'd get on better if we were divided into fairly small groups and stopped trying to run a whole nation under a single management. But I don't see any way of dividing people up like that without annoying them. And although I can't imagine that anything less than complete democracy in a group would be acceptable, I don't know how to keep a group fully democratic. Some people work the system cleverly and obey the letter of the rules while breaking the spirit of the rules. Dominating people tend to end up with more than their fair share of power.

Like I say, I don't think those views are particularly Aspie, but I suspect my ASD helped to lead me to them.



AnomalousAspergian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2021
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 64

14 Aug 2022, 2:02 pm

Quinntilda wrote:
Do people with Autism and aAspergers think the same way politically?


Is there any reason you are asking this question?



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,926
Location: temperate zone

14 Aug 2022, 2:15 pm

Mr. Quintilda hasnt yet returned to the thread that he started.



Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 758

15 Aug 2022, 6:09 pm

That's a very nuanced question, considering how ASD looks completely different in boys vs. girls, but I have noticed that white boys with ASD tend to grow up to be right-wing men or left-wing women. Horseshoe theory?



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,192
Location: Queens, NYC

15 Aug 2022, 6:13 pm

I don’t agree with the above.

There are many autistic white people who aren’t “right wing” in the least.

Additionally, many girls happen to show “classic” autistic features.

Actually, you usually post intelligent things.



Last edited by kraftiekortie on 15 Aug 2022, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,926
Location: temperate zone

15 Aug 2022, 6:16 pm

Barchan wrote:
That's a very nuanced question, considering how ASD looks completely different in boys vs. girls, but I have noticed that white boys with ASD tend to grow up to be right-wing men or left-wing women. Horseshoe theory?


Where are you getting your data from?

Certainly not from the population of this website.



MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,317
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

15 Aug 2022, 9:15 pm

My answer would be: mostly no but I have seen where some here are angry at their lot in life and this has caused them to be Trump supporters, in fact some of them aren't even American. I don't envy those people but the situation makes me angry because I hate seeing those people manipulated by Trump's propaganda machine however I have no advice to improve those peoples' lives either. So I suppose if worshipping Trump makes them feel better then I shouldn't object.


_________________
My WP story


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,031
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

15 Aug 2022, 10:53 pm

No more than any other assorted group of people who have just one thing - autism - in common.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,121
Location: Vancouver Canada

15 Aug 2022, 11:17 pm

MaxE wrote:
My answer would be: mostly no but I have seen where some here are angry at their lot in life and this has caused them to be Trump supporters, in fact some of them aren't even American. I don't envy those people but the situation makes me angry because I hate seeing those people manipulated by Trump's propaganda machine however I have no advice to improve those peoples' lives either. So I suppose if worshipping Trump makes them feel better then I shouldn't object.


Im not angry, President Trump brings me peace. :jester:


_________________
The Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts -The Donald


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,317
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

18 Aug 2022, 5:23 am

The_Znof wrote:
MaxE wrote:
My answer would be: mostly no but I have seen where some here are angry at their lot in life and this has caused them to be Trump supporters, in fact some of them aren't even American. I don't envy those people but the situation makes me angry because I hate seeing those people manipulated by Trump's propaganda machine however I have no advice to improve those peoples' lives either. So I suppose if worshipping Trump makes them feel better then I shouldn't object.


Im not angry, President Trump brings me peace. :jester:

You still sort of corroborated my premise. I can sort of understand your point of view. When I was young, I was "discriminated against" but it seemed as though it was because of who I was rather than my being a member of some group. So I had trouble sympathizing with people who were bullied because they were, for example, black, because at least there were other black people they could identify with. As a consequence I had much more conservative views than I do now. It took me decades to get the full picture.

Also being Canadian you have to deal with the fact that Canada has no inspiring political leaders although many Canadians might see that as something to brag about. But I guess it's a problem if you need that sort of thing.


_________________
My WP story


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,660
Location: New York City (Queens)

19 Aug 2022, 10:58 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Based on this website, no autistic people in general do not agree on political issues over all. That is why I think ideas of making an autistic community of only autistics would still go bad, we for sure do not all agree with each other. So it would not be a utopia us autistic people would like still have conflicts and the autistic utopia would not seem so magical after the first couple days for sure.

By "autistic community," do you just mean an organized subculture (much more organized than it is now) of autistic people (analogous to the LGBTQ+ community)? Or do you mean something like an autistics-only island?

I agree that the latter would not be feasible. But I hope a better-organized subculture is feasible -- and it would not require us to agree on everything. Like the LGBTQ+ community, it would not consist of one big organization, but rather a network of many smaller groups.


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- My Twitter (new as of 2021)


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,660
Location: New York City (Queens)

19 Aug 2022, 2:54 pm

Dox47 wrote:
In my case, it wasn't really my parents I rebelled against but the local power structure in general; growing up in Seattle the liberals ran everything and still do, so I got to see all of their foibles and hypocrisies up close and personal, where as conservatives were largely hypothetical as we really didn't have any locally. Honestly I'd probably have largely the same opinions but a different tilt if I'd grown up in a small religious town or something, my hate for the left is as much about attitude as it is about policy, and that might have been different if I'd grown up around overbearing conservatives instead of liberals.

I suspect that the attitudes you are referring to are probably a regional thing. According my boyfriend who has lived in a variety of places around the U.S.A., there tends to be both a lot more preachiness and a lot more hypocrisy among liberals on the West Coast than among liberals here in NYC.


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- My Twitter (new as of 2021)


Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Mar 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,668
Location: United States

19 Aug 2022, 6:49 pm

Short answer:
Sort of.

Long answer:
For decades before Obama's presidency, the Democrat Party was the party of the underdog. It was a party that helped the underprivileged and the disenfranchised: the working poor, the racial/ethnic minorities, the unemployed, and the immigrants (legal and otherwise). Since autistic persons are both underprivileged and disenfranchised, I can see why they'd vote Democrat. The Republican Party, on the other hand, was the party of the well-off. In the last 10 years, that changed. Today, the Democrat Party supports two polarized opposites and ONLY them: the ultra-elite (like that Hungarian banker, Mark Zuckerberg, and their ilk) and the freeloading violent criminals. The Republican Party now supports the productive workers and the business owners, who were screwed over by the scamdemic. Therefore, autistic persons today are better off voting Republican, as most such persons have a strong work ethic.

Remember: that was then, this is now! The Democrat Party today is NOTHING like it was even 10 years ago.


_________________
86 the 46
Don't tread on me!
No aid or comfort to the liberals. No way.
My rights don't end where your feeeelings begin!
Then they came for me. But by then, there was no one left to object.
If you're conservative when you're young, you have no heart! If you're liberal when you're mature, you have no brain!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,031
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

19 Aug 2022, 7:38 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Short answer:
Sort of.

Long answer:
For decades before Obama's presidency, the Democrat Party was the party of the underdog. It was a party that helped the underprivileged and the disenfranchised: the working poor, the racial/ethnic minorities, the unemployed, and the immigrants (legal and otherwise). Since autistic persons are both underprivileged and disenfranchised, I can see why they'd vote Democrat. The Republican Party, on the other hand, was the party of the well-off. In the last 10 years, that changed. Today, the Democrat Party supports two polarized opposites and ONLY them: the ultra-elite (like that Hungarian banker, Mark Zuckerberg, and their ilk) and the freeloading violent criminals. The Republican Party now supports the productive workers and the business owners, who were screwed over by the scamdemic. Therefore, autistic persons today are better off voting Republican, as most such persons have a strong work ethic.

Remember: that was then, this is now! The Democrat Party today is NOTHING like it was even 10 years ago.


That's hardly my per eption of the Dems, but what ever floats your boat.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,660
Location: New York City (Queens)

19 Aug 2022, 8:50 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
In the last 10 years, that changed. Today, the Democrat Party supports two polarized opposites and ONLY them: the ultra-elite (like that Hungarian banker, Mark Zuckerberg, and their ilk) and the freeloading violent criminals.

Not so. For example, here in NYC, our Democratic mayor, Eric Adams, is a black former cop and very much a law-and-order person.


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- My Twitter (new as of 2021)