Page 37 of 38 [ 601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,749
Location: Poland

06 Sep 2022, 1:24 am

Dox47 wrote:
Do you think people should face legal or professional sanction for refusing to use preferred pronouns?
Legal - no.
Professional - most professions do require some level of politeness, either because of the clients or for team work. If you already can face professional consequences for being rude, we're back at the "good manners" concept.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,767
Location: wales

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,749
Location: Poland

06 Sep 2022, 2:36 am

^ The way the story is told, if that teacher appealed instead of refusing to follow the court order, jail would have remained out of the whole equation.

It's something I'm trying to explain sometimes while moderating: when discussing the rules, do not intentionally break them. It only makes things worse for you and your case.
But I guess someone just wanted to become a martyr.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,767
Location: wales

06 Sep 2022, 3:06 am

magz wrote:
^ The way the story is told, if that teacher appealed instead of refusing to follow the court order, jail would have remained out of the whole equation.

It's something I'm trying to explain sometimes while moderating: when discussing the rules, do not intentionally break them. It only makes things worse for you and your case.
But I guess someone just wanted to become a martyr.


The fact he got the restraining order in the first place id by far the worst issue. Someone's right to ignore such an order given in dodgy circumstances is a separate problem.

It's interesting to see how his appeal will go but usually in circumstances like this they almost always go in favour of whoever appeals.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,869

06 Sep 2022, 3:10 am

Nades wrote:


This particular teacher looks like an arrogant twat. In his case he deserved termination for picking on a small child.

Image



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,767
Location: wales

06 Sep 2022, 3:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:


This particular teacher looks like an arrogant twat. In his case he deserved termination for picking on a small child.

Image


Wait.....you think he somehow became more culpable simply because of his physical appearance? WTF didn't just read?



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,749
Location: Poland

06 Sep 2022, 3:13 am

Nades wrote:
magz wrote:
^ The way the story is told, if that teacher appealed instead of refusing to follow the court order, jail would have remained out of the whole equation.

It's something I'm trying to explain sometimes while moderating: when discussing the rules, do not intentionally break them. It only makes things worse for you and your case.
But I guess someone just wanted to become a martyr.


The fact he got the restraining order in the first place id by far the worst issue. Someone's right to ignore such an order given in dodgy circumstances is a separate problem.

It's interesting to see how his appeal will go but usually in circumstances like this they almost always go in favour of whoever appeals.

Quote:
The dispute began over his refusal to address a transitioning student as 'they' rather than 'he', as requested by the student and their parents in May, and agreed to by the Church of Ireland school.

This escalated to his suspension on the day before the start of the autumn term, pending the outcome of a disciplinary process.

He had refused to remain away from the school on paid leave for that suspension, the court heard, and would sit in an empty classroom, declaring that he was there to work.

You really find it "unreasonable restraining order" to be told not to go to work for not obeying your employer's guidelines?


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,869

06 Sep 2022, 3:16 am

Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:


This particular teacher looks like an arrogant twat. In his case he deserved termination for picking on a small child.

Image


Wait.....you think he somehow became more culpable simply because of his physical appearance? WTF didn't just read?


He comes across as arrogant wanting to stand his ground to have the right to make a child (let that sink in...it's a child) feel unwelcome in school. He's a turd.



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,749
Location: Poland

06 Sep 2022, 3:21 am

I wouldn't give a damn about one's appearance.

The point is, he disobeyed his employer, then he disobeyed the court, and the latter put him in jail. The original conflict would at worst make him fired - and I believe inability to cooperate with students, parents and the school administration (and then even the law enforcement) is a perfect reason to fire a teacher.
For a job where you work with people, you have to be able to... work with people.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,869

06 Sep 2022, 3:32 am

magz wrote:
I wouldn't give a damn about one's appearance..

I was actually talking about his demeanour not his appearance

magz wrote:
IThe point is, he disobeyed his employer, then he disobeyed the court, and the latter put him in jail. The original conflict would at worst make him fired - and I believe inability to cooperate with students, parents and the school administration (and then even the law enforcement) is a perfect reason to fire a teacher.
For a job where you work with people, you have to be able to... work with people.


100% agree



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,767
Location: wales

06 Sep 2022, 4:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:


This particular teacher looks like an arrogant twat. In his case he deserved termination for picking on a small child.

Image


Wait.....you think he somehow became more culpable simply because of his physical appearance? WTF didn't just read?


He comes across as arrogant wanting to stand his ground to have the right to make a child (let that sink in...it's a child) feel unwelcome in school. He's a turd.


Strange how you isolated the pic and then said he looked arrogant rather than the typical "quoting" as a response.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,869

06 Sep 2022, 4:05 am

Nades wrote:
Strange how you isolated the pic and then said he looked arrogant rather than the typical "quoting" as a response.


are you looking for regular patterns?



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,767
Location: wales

06 Sep 2022, 4:06 am

magz wrote:
I wouldn't give a damn about one's appearance.

The point is, he disobeyed his employer, then he disobeyed the court, and the latter put him in jail. The original conflict would at worst make him fired - and I believe inability to cooperate with students, parents and the school administration (and then even the law enforcement) is a perfect reason to fire a teacher.
For a job where you work with people, you have to be able to... work with people.


What might have been his reasons for kicking up a stink though? We don't know much about this student or how he personally feels about said student and the use of pronouns.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,767
Location: wales

06 Sep 2022, 4:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:
Strange how you isolated the pic and then said he looked arrogant rather than the typical "quoting" as a response.


are you looking for regular patterns?


No. It's just that I know exactly what you meant by that original post. Isolating a pics URL and posting it on WP is an annoying exercise. The pic itself had nothing to do with the context of the article too yet you still posted saying he looked arrogant.

What else could you possibly have meant?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,869

06 Sep 2022, 4:10 am

He sounds like a "stand my ground" kind of dude. Not teacher material.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,869

06 Sep 2022, 4:11 am

Nades wrote:
What else could you possibly have meant?


No as I explained to Magz, his demeanour (look) is arrogant, not his appearance