Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 6:29 pm

Damn, I literally just looked him up the other day because I couldn't remember if he was still alive or not, that's a real blast from the past name from my childhood. Out of respect, I'll refrain from posting his Pizza Hut commercial.

Last edited by Dox47 on 30 Aug 2022, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 6:34 pm

I believe he was a decent man.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 8:02 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Damn, I literally just looked him up the other day because I couldn't remember if he was still alive or not

How Twilight Zone, I also literally just looked him up the other day because I couldn't remember if he was still alive or not.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 8:24 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
How Twilight Zone, I also literally just looked him up the other day because I couldn't remember if he was still alive or not.

Yeah, it was definitely one of those "I think I'd have heard about it, but he must be ancient" situations. Bob Dole was like that for me for years until he actually did die, I must have looked him up 3 or 4 times over the years thinking I'd missed an announcement.

For the record, I think he was pretty decent, for a communist.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 10:38 pm

The made the world safer and made the life of his people better. That a lot of it has been reversed does negate that history.

Undoing some of 80 years of hard communism and presiding over the quick dissolution of the Soviet Union relatively peacefully was an incredible demonstration of political skill.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 30 Aug 2022, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 10:41 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Yeah, it was definitely one of those "I think I'd have heard about it, but he must be ancient" situations. Bob Dole was like that for me for years until he actually did die, I must have looked him up 3 or 4 times over the years thinking I'd missed an announcement.

For the record, I think he was pretty decent, for a communist.

I also looked up Henry Kissinger that day.

Sorry Henry.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 12:14 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I also looked up Henry Kissinger that day.

Sorry Henry.

Oh, there's no way you'll miss that one, it's going to be downright undignified from the left, like the non-stop "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" chorus when Thatcher went some years back. One of my all time favorite political essays opens with that, and the author's experience having seen many of the same people condemning the celebrations around the death of Osama bin Laden shortly before and their poor reactions to having the dissonance pointed out.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

01 Sep 2022, 1:23 pm

That's very sad news. :cry:

Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 6:20 pm

The one guy who certainly isn't grieving because Gorbachev's dead is Russian nationalist and strongman in-the-extreme, Vladimir Putin. Putin holds Gorbachev responsible for the collapse of the Soviet Union, and the humiliation of Russia. He isn't expected too attend the funeral.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 10:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The one guy who certainly isn't grieving because Gorbachev's dead is Russian nationalist and strongman in-the-extreme, Vladimir Putin. Putin holds Gorbachev responsible for the collapse of the Soviet Union, and the humiliation of Russia. He isn't expected too attend the funeral.

Gorby had tough decisions, considering the economic stagnation under Brezhnev. The command economy was going nowhere, and his reforms were the only things keeping the country afloat.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 11:59 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Gorby had tough decisions, considering the economic stagnation under Brezhnev. The command economy was going nowhere, and his reforms were the only things keeping the country afloat.

I agree.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 2:50 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Not just the "collapse", but also the dissolution. Instead one USSR there are now fifteen separate nations that were once part of the USSR. Putin wants them all back. Its as if Boris Yeltsin tried to restore the British Empire, by invading Nigeria, India, and the USA.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 9:06 am

Dox47 wrote:
his Pizza Hut commercial.

That was sadly the first thing I thought of. Likewise, I decided not to. It was in exchange for charitable donations as far as I know.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 3:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

How ironic considering the damage putin is doing to present day Russia..