Teacher jailed for violating court order over a pronoun row

Page 14 of 15 [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,822
Location: Poland

08 Sep 2022, 2:24 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
What instructions did he refuse to follow?
Not to go to work until the issue is sorted out.
Quote:
The court made the order after being told that in breach of both the terms of his paid suspension and the temporary injunction Mr Burke was currently “sitting in an empty classroom” in the Co Westmeath-based school.
https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/co ... -contempt/


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,807
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

08 Sep 2022, 2:24 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Once again, the teacher did not go to jail for refusing to use the right pronoun, he was jailed for violating a court order.

Why was the court order issued?

For violating his employers instructions to stay off the premises. The guy refused to follow his employers' instructions, so a court ordered them to be abided by.

Did you not read the article?


What instructions did he refuse to follow?

It's amazing how some folks are trying so hard not to say that he got into trouble in the first place "by his refusal to use a student's new name and gender-neutral pronouns". Lets just pretend that part's not in the article and that's not the crux of the situation.

He was instructed to stay off the workplace premises and showed up anyways as if he weren't suspended and told to stay home.

The article is very clear about all of this. Not sure how you're having difficulties, really.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: US

08 Sep 2022, 2:26 pm

magz wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
What instructions did he refuse to follow?
Not to go to work until the issue is sorted out.
Quote:
The court made the order after being told that in breach of both the terms of his paid suspension and the temporary injunction Mr Burke was currently “sitting in an empty classroom” in the Co Westmeath-based school.
https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/co ... -contempt/


This is the way it seems some folks want to read it:

A teacher in Ireland was jailed this week for violating a court order forbidding him from going to the school where he works, after he was put on administrative leave during disciplinary proceedings over his refusal to use a student's new name and gender-neutral pronouns



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,807
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

08 Sep 2022, 2:28 pm

Just for the irrelevant record: My biggest gripe about trans anything lately is that I had to buy two pairs of sterling silver Australian opal earrings; one "white" (pink), one blue, in order to have a pink/blue pair to gift to my friend later. Lucky duck is going to get Two pairs of trans flag coloured earrings. 8)


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Last edited by goldfish21 on 08 Sep 2022, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,822
Location: Poland

08 Sep 2022, 2:29 pm

The court made it very clear refusal to stay out of work was the cause of the arrest, not the refusal of using pronouns.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: US

08 Sep 2022, 2:34 pm

magz wrote:
The court made it very clear refusal to stay out of work was the cause of the arrest, not the refusal of using pronouns.

So completely disregard how and why it stared? It's just a story about violating a court order and nothing else?

His refusal to use a student's new name and gender-neutral pronouns, is not paramount to what happened and why?



Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: US

08 Sep 2022, 2:37 pm

Sometimes I think this palace should be called Bizarro Planet.



(Bizarro World)



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,085
Location: Pacific Northwest

08 Sep 2022, 2:40 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Did you not read the article? He didn't go to jail for misgendering.



Yes I read the article.

You don't need to tell me what I "should" do. :D

I have my own brain, thanks.


Did you read my post?

It was a response to you telling CR what he should think, and you suggesting that CR doesn't support trans rights.

League_Girl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
It's very unsettling that a person can get sent to jail for saying the wrong things these days.



Wait, I thought you supported trans people, I guess I was mistaken.



Clearly he didn't read the article then or he wouldn't have written that.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: US

08 Sep 2022, 2:42 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
:wall:


Yep. Time to lock.



Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 08 Sep 2022, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,807
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

08 Sep 2022, 2:42 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
magz wrote:
The court made it very clear refusal to stay out of work was the cause of the arrest, not the refusal of using pronouns.

So completely disregard how and why it stared? It's just a story about violating a court order and nothing else?

His refusal to use a student's new name and gender-neutral pronouns, is not paramount to what happened and why?


Pronoun usage was irrelevant to the court's findings that he violated a court order.

What part of this are you having difficulties with?


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,276
Location: UK

08 Sep 2022, 2:42 pm

Then what's the pronoun got to do with anything in this matter?


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,807
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

08 Sep 2022, 2:43 pm

League_Girl wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Did you not read the article? He didn't go to jail for misgendering.



Yes I read the article.

You don't need to tell me what I "should" do. :D

I have my own brain, thanks.


Did you read my post?

It was a response to you telling CR what he should think, and you suggesting that CR doesn't support trans rights.

League_Girl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
It's very unsettling that a person can get sent to jail for saying the wrong things these days.



Wait, I thought you supported trans people, I guess I was mistaken.



Clearly he didn't read the article then or he wouldn't have written that.


As was established, more than once, in conversation in this thread. Clearly you haven't read the entire thread.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,822
Location: Poland

08 Sep 2022, 2:49 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
magz wrote:
The court made it very clear refusal to stay out of work was the cause of the arrest, not the refusal of using pronouns.

So completely disregard how and why it stared? It's just a story about violating a court order and nothing else?

His refusal to use a student's new name and gender-neutral pronouns, is not paramount to what happened and why?

Yes. If he adhered to the instructions and then sued the school, the outcome would be most likely very different.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2021
Age: 50
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,135
Location: Orbiting Wrong Planet

08 Sep 2022, 2:51 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
:wall:


Yep. Time to lock.


Probably for the best. In before the lock yay!


_________________
I don't follow society's rules. But that doesn't mean there aren't rules I have to follow when the Dark Passenger calls.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,807
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

08 Sep 2022, 2:52 pm

magz wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
magz wrote:
The court made it very clear refusal to stay out of work was the cause of the arrest, not the refusal of using pronouns.

So completely disregard how and why it stared? It's just a story about violating a court order and nothing else?

His refusal to use a student's new name and gender-neutral pronouns, is not paramount to what happened and why?

Yes. If he adhered to the instructions and then sued the school, the outcome would be most likely very different.

But instead he disobeyed his employer AND a court order. He made his bed and can now lay in it and cry about things.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,085
Location: Pacific Northwest

08 Sep 2022, 3:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Did you not read the article? He didn't go to jail for misgendering.



Yes I read the article.

You don't need to tell me what I "should" do. :D

I have my own brain, thanks.


Did you read my post?

It was a response to you telling CR what he should think, and you suggesting that CR doesn't support trans rights.

League_Girl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
It's very unsettling that a person can get sent to jail for saying the wrong things these days.



Wait, I thought you supported trans people, I guess I was mistaken.



Clearly he didn't read the article then or he wouldn't have written that.


As was established, more than once, in conversation in this thread. Clearly you haven't read the entire thread.



I did read most of it except for long responses. I also see you shift positions because I saw you arguing about what the article stated. Now it's about people going to jail about different opinions which never even happened here.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.