Hello from a freshly diagnosed Aspie in Kansas City.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

endlesslycurious
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 12 Oct 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Location: Kansas City, MO

12 Oct 2022, 3:35 am

Hello! My name is Randy and I am a 41 year old man from Kansas City, MO.

I am a divorced single dad of 2 daughters who are 20 and 14. I have an auto glass shop I run with my cousin for money but it doesn't define me.

After years of suspicion, I finally got a full assessment with my diagnosis last week. I'm still processing this.

For fun I like to read, watch sports, workout, and I love animals. I have 4 dogs, 3 cats, 5 ferrets, 3 bearded dragons, and two red eared slider turtles. I also spend time volunteering ar local shelters.

These forums were always my favorite part of the internet. Facebook groups killed most. I'm glad I found this one.



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 74
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,681
Location: Indiana

12 Oct 2022, 8:41 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

The bearded dragon lives up to its name: Like a dragon, it’s equipped with armor of spiny reptilian scales, which include a “beard” of spikes under its chin that puffs up depending on its mood. There are eight species species of bearded dragons recognized today, all of which are affectionately called “beardies.”


_________________
Author of Practical Preparations for a Coronavirus Pandemic.
A very unique plan. As Dr. Paul Thompson wrote, "This is the very best paper on the virus I have ever seen."


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,754
Location: U.S.A.

12 Oct 2022, 9:35 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And, regarding this:

endlesslycurious wrote:
After years of suspicion, I finally got a full assessment with my diagnosis last week. I'm still processing this.
I think the most important thing to remember about the diagnosis is: After the diagnosis you are pretty much the same person you were before the diagnosis, except you know a little more.

Unless you need the diagnosis to formally seek special accommodations somewhere it has limited practical utility. The most useful thing I've tried to get with it has to do with my erratic memory. As I've gotten older I get to see doctors more often and due to that erratic memory I'd ask them to put anything nontrivial in writing. They seldom did. Now that I have the diagnosis I mention it to the medical folk when I ask for stuff in writing. I think it strengthens my case. Unfortunately, I still seldom get anything useful in writing.

I have found the diagnosis has a few uses:
/\/- Something to work into conversations (optional)
/\/- Wrong Planet!
/\/- When my bride bumps into one of my Autism traits I get to say: "I have a doctor's note for that!"

By the way, I enjoy that last one a lot more than she does. :)


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


endlesslycurious
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 12 Oct 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Location: Kansas City, MO

12 Oct 2022, 12:50 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet.

The bearded dragon lives up to its name: Like a dragon, it’s equipped with armor of spiny reptilian scales, which include a “beard” of spikes under its chin that puffs up depending on its mood. There are eight species species of bearded dragons recognized today, all of which are affectionately called “beardies.”


They are amazing animals and a lot more intelligent than people realize!



endlesslycurious
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 12 Oct 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Location: Kansas City, MO

12 Oct 2022, 12:53 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And, regarding this:
endlesslycurious wrote:
After years of suspicion, I finally got a full assessment with my diagnosis last week. I'm still processing this.
I think the most important thing to remember about the diagnosis is: After the diagnosis you are pretty much the same person you were before the diagnosis, except you know a little more.

Unless you need the diagnosis to formally seek special accommodations somewhere it has limited practical utility. The most useful thing I've tried to get with it has to do with my erratic memory. As I've gotten older I get to see doctors more often and due to that erratic memory I'd ask them to put anything nontrivial in writing. They seldom did. Now that I have the diagnosis I mention it to the medical folk when I ask for stuff in writing. I think it strengthens my case. Unfortunately, I still seldom get anything useful in writing.

I have found the diagnosis has a few uses:
/\/- Something to work into conversations (optional)
/\/- Wrong Planet!
/\/- When my bride bumps into one of my Autism traits I get to say: "I have a doctor's note for that!"

By the way, I enjoy that last one a lot more than she does. :)


Thank you for that insight. My specialist made sure I new this as well. I think one of the more useful things it all the information in the 50 page report plus recommendations she has made. She is also going to work with me on a couple of things.

She said out of probably 1000 males she has ever assessed, I scored higher on the masking portion than any of them and higher than most woman too. She wants me to work on that so I dont continually burn myself out. Also, my romantic relationships all seem to have a similar expiration date for similar reasons.

Basically, it gives me some things to work on and now I know a bit more on how my brain works. I also know that I am not just a broken person and there is a reason I am the way I am. On the flip side, I now know with 100% certainty that I am stuck living in a world that wasnt made for me. So, I have to figure out how to thrive anyway.



Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,051
Location: Pennsylvania

12 Oct 2022, 1:08 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. I hope it is right for you.
An auto glass shop actually sounds kind of cool.
I like to read too.
What kind of topics do you like to read?


_________________
ADHD-I(diagnosed) ASD-HF(undiagnosed - maybe)
RDOS scores - Aspie score 131/200 - neurotypical score 69/200 - very likely Aspie


endlesslycurious
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 12 Oct 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Location: Kansas City, MO

12 Oct 2022, 5:05 pm

Fenn wrote:
Welcome to WrongPlanet. I hope it is right for you.
An auto glass shop actually sounds kind of cool.
I like to read too.
What kind of topics do you like to read?



I read books on business, psychology, politics, self-help, fantasy, sci-fi, and thrillers mainly. Also, on animals. I am currently reading Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Reid, Animal Planet Red-Eared Sliders, and Punishment Without Crime (a book on innocent people in american prisons). I am passionate about criminal justice reform.

What about you?



Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,784
Location: Outter Quadrant

12 Oct 2022, 6:29 pm

Hello and welcome to Wrong Planet from North of the River :wtg: :nerdy: . Glad to hear your masking skills are high enough to be able to Run a Auto Glass shop . You have a interesting Animal collection. My friend also has a rather large bearded dragon, that she has raised from tiny beardlet……Hope you find your visits here to be of good benefit to you . :D.
Also have a personal interest in Criminal justice accountability of the legal authorities acting irresponsibly.


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


endlesslycurious
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 12 Oct 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Location: Kansas City, MO

12 Oct 2022, 10:57 pm

Jakki wrote:
Hello and welcome to Wrong Planet from North of the River :wtg: :nerdy: . Glad to hear your masking skills are high enough to be able to Run a Auto Glass shop . You have a interesting Animal collection. My friend also has a rather large bearded dragon, that she has raised from tiny beardlet……Hope you find your visits here to be of good benefit to you . :D.
Also have a personal interest in Criminal justice accountability of the legal authorities acting irresponsibly.



Are you a fellow Kansas Citian? I only ask because North of the River is a phrase we use for the section of KC I live in.

I also have a tiny beardlet. My nephew got her as a baby and then decided it was too much so I have her now. Her name is Miko.

The book I am reading right now is horrifying. In one area of Florida, public defenders get bonus' for getting their clients to plea guilty and they usually have 250 cases to handle a month. One other court in South Carolina has so many cases that they usually only spend 1 to 2 minutes on each one and press the accussed to make quick decisions which will alter their life including jail time. It is a horrible system.



Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,784
Location: Outter Quadrant

12 Oct 2022, 11:24 pm

Lolzz , yes am aware of my writing North of the River saying … and yes that’s where I am from .
My friend raises Dubios cockroaches to feed her dragon. She is very protective of her dragon. :D
Named Miliour . She is a Halloweenie fiend , As I used to be …….. :jester:
Yes it is atrocious how many many Public Prosecutors behave. It would be appropriate for them to spend time in jail, for making consistently poor judgement in the interest of so called expediency :skull: . Basically Railroading people into jail.
Or Anything at all they can do to cause innocent people to have a criminal record thereby ruining the rest of their functional lives in society , Even in the world. :( People with records are not usually allowed to emigrate. As far as other countries are concerned . Have seen this type of activity in Several States court systems . Here in the US. :roll:


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


endlesslycurious
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 12 Oct 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Location: Kansas City, MO

13 Oct 2022, 12:12 pm

Wow, another Kansas Citian.

Do you still live here? I grew up in Gladstone and went to Oak Park. I live in NKC now.

This isnt the oddest place I have ran into another Kansas Citian. When my ex-wife were on our Honeymoon in Key West, we walked into a bar where the tables were full. A couple invited us to sit. Once we got talking, we realized they were also from Kansas City, also on their honeymoon and all 4 of us worked in the same building downtown!



AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 66,206
Location: Portland, Oregon

13 Oct 2022, 3:37 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,289
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

14 Oct 2022, 12:41 am

Willkomen :mrgreen:


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 48
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2020
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,279
Location: Alpena MI

14 Oct 2022, 6:20 am

welcome, glad you are with us. I have kin in Kansas ;)


_________________
https://oldladywithautism.blog/

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,784
Location: Outter Quadrant

14 Oct 2022, 10:51 am

endlesslycurious wrote:
Wow, another Kansas Citian.

Do you still live here? I grew up in Gladstone and went to Oak Park. I live in NKC now.

This isnt the oddest place I have ran into another Kansas Citian. When my ex-wife were on our Honeymoon in Key West, we walked into a bar where the tables were full. A couple invited us to sit. Once we got talking, we realized they were also from Kansas City, also on their honeymoon and all 4 of us worked in the same building downtown!


He..he..he…. In Key West ,, great coincidences .happen .
Yes still in the Gladstone area . :D Nice to yet run into another Kansas City Person . Even here .. :…
Hope you enjoy all your visits to WP :D
Glad you found WP …..


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 9 Apr 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,859

14 Oct 2022, 1:34 pm

Welcome! Glad you joined us!