Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,014

07 Nov 2022, 9:11 pm

Zero children, zero car, zero drugs, alcohol or cigarettes, zero gym,



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 53,447

07 Nov 2022, 9:23 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

Haha! Seriously though. If you don't have family ties or committments, maybe try a different county or country as it is an expensive place to live with rules like that. I wonder if there are any other restrictions of what one can and can't do.


For 20 years I was legally forbidden from moving more than 12 miles from my current house.
That was because of Family Court / my ex.
Now I can't move because I'm a caring for two critically ill family members who depend on me.
Also my daughter would lose her disability income if we leave.



Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,051
Location: Pennsylvania

08 Nov 2022, 12:15 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Haha! Seriously though. If you don't have family ties or committments, maybe try a different county or country as it is an expensive place to live with rules like that. I wonder if there are any other restrictions of what one can and can't do.


For 20 years I was legally forbidden from moving more than 12 miles from my current house.
That was because of Family Court / my ex.
Now I can't move because I'm a caring for two critically ill family members who depend on me.
Also my daughter would lose her disability income if we leave.


Indoor clothes line? Foldable indoor drying rack?

We sometimes will hang up clothes on hangers in the bathroom for a few days - the steam from the shower can help relax the wrinkles - saves on ironing or dry cleaning.


_________________
ADHD-I(diagnosed) ASD-HF(undiagnosed - maybe)
RDOS scores - Aspie score 131/200 - neurotypical score 69/200 - very likely Aspie


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 53,447

08 Nov 2022, 12:23 pm

Fenn wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
We can't buy incandescent here anymore.


I am sorry the LEDs give you headaches / issues.

Halogen lights are actually incandescent. I have one in my shower because the LED and Compact Florissant kept shorting and burning out because of the steam getting in the works. The "outdoor halogen" bulb is the only one that works. It is completely sealed.

They can still sell the Halogen bulbs where I am.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_lamp



I tried halogen bulbs and for some reason they make a buzzing noise in my fixtures.
I like living in the dark or using little Christmas lights as needed.
It's just frustrating that the government can force people to use LED, when so many people can't tolerate them.
LED brake lights are so nauseating they're going to cause car crashes for a lot of drivers.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 53,447

08 Nov 2022, 12:27 pm

Fenn wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Haha! Seriously though. If you don't have family ties or committments, maybe try a different county or country as it is an expensive place to live with rules like that. I wonder if there are any other restrictions of what one can and can't do.


For 20 years I was legally forbidden from moving more than 12 miles from my current house.
That was because of Family Court / my ex.
Now I can't move because I'm a caring for two critically ill family members who depend on me.
Also my daughter would lose her disability income if we leave.


Indoor clothes line? Foldable indoor drying rack?

We sometimes will hang up clothes on hangers in the bathroom for a few days - the steam from the shower can help relax the wrinkles - saves on ironing or dry cleaning.



I have a drying rack for some items that would shrink in the dryer.
I don't really iron anything.

I use the "power saver" options on everything.
I'm not sure how those work because they take about 5x longer.
My washing machine takes about 2.5 hours on power saver, and 32 minutes on Quick Wash.
My dishwasher is almost 3 hours on power saver, and 27 minutes on Quick Wash.
Go figure.



blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,343
Location: In a cuboid sphere of abstract, nuanced thought.

08 Nov 2022, 1:41 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fenn wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Haha! Seriously though. If you don't have family ties or committments, maybe try a different county or country as it is an expensive place to live with rules like that. I wonder if there are any other restrictions of what one can and can't do.


For 20 years I was legally forbidden from moving more than 12 miles from my current house.
That was because of Family Court / my ex.
Now I can't move because I'm a caring for two critically ill family members who depend on me.
Also my daughter would lose her disability income if we leave.


Indoor clothes line? Foldable indoor drying rack?

We sometimes will hang up clothes on hangers in the bathroom for a few days - the steam from the shower can help relax the wrinkles - saves on ironing or dry cleaning.



I have a drying rack for some items that would shrink in the dryer.
I don't really iron anything.

I use the "power saver" options on everything.
I'm not sure how those work because they take about 5x longer.
My washing machine takes about 2.5 hours on power saver, and 32 minutes on Quick Wash.
My dishwasher is almost 3 hours on power saver, and 27 minutes on Quick Wash.
Go figure.


I have noticed these strange features on electrical appliances, also.



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,917
Location: Texas

20 Nov 2022, 7:33 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Okay, so everything is expensive!

For energy bills, you might do things like use an electric blanket instead of using central heating, or wear thermal wear indoors.

What is your coping mechanism for a hostile economic environment (if any)?

I live at home and never do anything and I put any money I do have in the American stock market mainly in dividend paying stocks that keep pace with inflation.I also get a lot of our meat from hunting because I cant afford a whole bunch of meat at Walmart..I am single with no kids so that helps with my cost.My family benefits from high gasoline prices because my family has oil wells in the Permian Basin.



blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,343
Location: In a cuboid sphere of abstract, nuanced thought.

20 Nov 2022, 2:31 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Okay, so everything is expensive!

For energy bills, you might do things like use an electric blanket instead of using central heating, or wear thermal wear indoors.

What is your coping mechanism for a hostile economic environment (if any)?

I live at home and never do anything and I put any money I do have in the American stock market mainly in dividend paying stocks that keep pace with inflation.I also get a lot of our meat from hunting because I cant afford a whole bunch of meat at Walmart..I am single with no kids so that helps with my cost.My family benefits from high gasoline prices because my family has oil wells in the Permian Basin.


Hunting meat sounds good, if a little old school. 8)



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,917
Location: Texas

20 Nov 2022, 10:03 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Okay, so everything is expensive!

For energy bills, you might do things like use an electric blanket instead of using central heating, or wear thermal wear indoors.

What is your coping mechanism for a hostile economic environment (if any)?

I live at home and never do anything and I put any money I do have in the American stock market mainly in dividend paying stocks that keep pace with inflation.I also get a lot of our meat from hunting because I cant afford a whole bunch of meat at Walmart..I am single with no kids so that helps with my cost.My family benefits from high gasoline prices because my family has oil wells in the Permian Basin.


Hunting meat sounds good, if a little old school. 8)

Ya your right its old school but the venison is healthier than beef.Its organic grass fed no antibiotics or hormones and its local.Its also more tasty to me than a McDonald's hamburger.



blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,343
Location: In a cuboid sphere of abstract, nuanced thought.

20 Nov 2022, 11:57 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Okay, so everything is expensive!

For energy bills, you might do things like use an electric blanket instead of using central heating, or wear thermal wear indoors.

What is your coping mechanism for a hostile economic environment (if any)?

I live at home and never do anything and I put any money I do have in the American stock market mainly in dividend paying stocks that keep pace with inflation.I also get a lot of our meat from hunting because I cant afford a whole bunch of meat at Walmart..I am single with no kids so that helps with my cost.My family benefits from high gasoline prices because my family has oil wells in the Permian Basin.


Hunting meat sounds good, if a little old school. 8)

Ya your right its old school but the venison is healthier than beef.Its organic grass fed no antibiotics or hormones and its local.Its also more tasty to me than a McDonald's hamburger.


Definitely good in terms of the quality - I just meant the method is a bit old school.

Yee-haw I guess? :D



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,917
Location: Texas

21 Nov 2022, 12:41 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Okay, so everything is expensive!

For energy bills, you might do things like use an electric blanket instead of using central heating, or wear thermal wear indoors.

What is your coping mechanism for a hostile economic environment (if any)?

I live at home and never do anything and I put any money I do have in the American stock market mainly in dividend paying stocks that keep pace with inflation.I also get a lot of our meat from hunting because I cant afford a whole bunch of meat at Walmart..I am single with no kids so that helps with my cost.My family benefits from high gasoline prices because my family has oil wells in the Permian Basin.


Hunting meat sounds good, if a little old school. 8)

Ya your right its old school but the venison is healthier than beef.Its organic grass fed no antibiotics or hormones and its local.Its also more tasty to me than a McDonald's hamburger.


Definitely good in terms of the quality - I just meant the method is a bit old school.

Yee-haw I guess? :D

Oh okay.Ya my family has been hunting deer and eating venison for generations.Ya i knew you were saying that hunting is old school.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,623
Location: Aux Arcs

24 Nov 2022, 12:09 am

The deer have Chronic wasting disease here so no one harvests them anymore.
We used to fill the freezer up.
Grow a garden if you can, preserve it in freezer , drying or canning.Gather edible wild food.Farmers markets, stock up on sale items.
Cook homemade, breads etc ready made is expensive.Crockpots are great to save energy.
Stay at home.Order online and have stuff delivered.saves so much gas.
Thrift stores are always fun.
Get a few hens for eggs.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,343
Location: In a cuboid sphere of abstract, nuanced thought.

24 Nov 2022, 12:38 am

Gathering wild, edible food sounds like a significant task in terms of time expenditure.

It's a good idea though if a person has free time & access to safe, wild/edible food sources.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 111,795
Location: the island of defective toy santas

24 Nov 2022, 1:07 am

driving '97 honda. still has only 84k miles, original, inherited it from mom. it has just liability insurance meaning if i screw up, i'm out a car. live in tin can out in woods with all the other pofolk, so for many years until last, my property tax was less than $400/annum. in the dead of winter my electric bill is about $180/month. soon enough, god-willing, i will age into a lower electric bill courtesy my local electric company throwing us oldsters a bone. i eat lots of brown rice, black beans and tuna, but was recently advised to eat more canned salmon, so i've been getting the cheapest [$3/15oz. can] stuff i can find, and drinking more generic veggie juice that used to cost me a buck a gallon until a few years ago, then they tripled it to 3 bucks per gallon, a stinking rip-off but what can i do? at least i don't live in seattle/king county where canned salmon is $3 per 5-stinkin'-ounce can and where the property tax on my tin can on its 1/3 acre would easily dun me $4000/annum. EVERYTHING is at least 3 times more expensive in king county. gotta be a millionaire to live there. anyways, i digress- i have one pair of summer pants, one pair of winter pants, one summer tanktop and one winter tanktop. one good waterproof jacket with hood my late sister gave me. one good winter "joe boxer" fuzzy wuzzy bathrobe, a few pairs of fuzzy sweats, surgical scrub bottoms are my "uniform." i have one decent black funeral suit just-in-case, one white "god suit" just in case somebody takes a shine to me. my internet is slow but it costs $49/month. jitterbug cell phone plan is about $25/month. i save on electricity by lighting the place with surplus LED xmas lights all over the place and the odd LED bulb and one old-fashioned fluorescent ballast and 3' pair of bulbs in the kitchen. my honda gives me 20 miles per gallon no matter how i drive it, but i only go out once per week for groceries and to dan dial's tesla lab. saves a lot of gas to be a shut-in for the most part. once in a while i'll get a domino's half-price pizza or discount at mickey-d's via coupons. no restaurants or movie theatre visits for me, no clubs, no athletic clubs especially. useta swim laps at the Y but they raised their monthly fee to more than i could afford so that hadda go by the wayside. i miss swimming. :|



domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,257
Location: UK

24 Nov 2022, 8:52 am

I work on a farm and live rent free in a caravan. I use solar power for my lights and phone. I have a woodburner for heating. I buy second hand clothes. I make my own furniture or buy it cheap, second hand.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,623
Location: Aux Arcs

24 Nov 2022, 9:30 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Gathering wild, edible food sounds like a significant task in terms of time expenditure.

It's a good idea though if a person has free time & access to safe, wild/edible food sources.

Blackberries, raspberries, wild grapes, black walnuts, mushrooms( be SURE you know they are edible)and various greens.
Don’t eat if you think herbicide has been sprayed.
People here also dig ginseng and goldenseal for a cash crop.The root buyer comes to town in the fall.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi