People acting like something's neurologically wrong with you

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,228

07 Nov 2022, 9:46 pm

Does anyone get treated like people are concerned about there being something neurologically wrong with you, especially medical professionals?

When I see doctors I sometimes get treated like they doubt the validity of what I'm saying and my recall of information, and they can act confused when I try to explain things to them or recall things like dates and locations. I've even had on a couple occasions had nurses and doctors start asking me questions like they're trying to make sure that I know where I am, what time it is, etc. and when that's happened it makes me lowkey kind of mad. I'm very aware of what's going on around me, I just have problems verbalizing my thoughts, and I can't always immediately recall information like dates, locations, specific details, etc. right when I'm prompted to do so.

I don't really see other autistic people mention problems with being treated like this, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one who deals with this.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 53,375

07 Nov 2022, 9:51 pm

Yes, it's professional gaslighting.
I've dealt with it for over 50 years.

They treat you like a freak.
But if you tell them you're a freak and need help, they say you're fine.
Then they look at you like you're a freak.



Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2013
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,068
Location: England

08 Nov 2022, 7:11 am

there is something neurologically wrong with me


_________________
Have diagnosis of autism.
Have a neurotypical son.


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,752
Location: U.S.A.

08 Nov 2022, 9:50 am

I would like doctors to treat me like I'm ASD-1.

At my particular spot on the Autism Spectrum I don't think of it as something wrong with me, just different.


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,494

08 Nov 2022, 12:22 pm

Yeah, I experience this and I hate it. Some people also seem to think I smoke pot (not that I think anything is wrong with smoking pot).


_________________
"A loaded gun won't set you free. So you say." - Ian Curtis


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,091
Location: Queens, NYC

08 Nov 2022, 12:35 pm

People used to think I was on speed….



DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,028
Location: PNW USA

08 Nov 2022, 12:40 pm

Well, if you are on the autism spectrum, you do have something neurologically "wrong" with you (at least different). Its also common to have comorbidities so it would make sense on some level to suspect other issues. The trouble is that most NT's have very narrow views about what autism looks like, and make erroneous assumptions.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,228

08 Nov 2022, 1:15 pm

Yeah, I know that autism is a neurological issue, but I meant people thinking that something more serious is wrong with you like a stroke or psychosis or something, due to issues you have with speech or something else. I'm really bad at verbalizing my thoughts and recalling details, so people don't understand me sometimes and can think I'm not "all there" because I can't quickly remember things I should be able to.



DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,028
Location: PNW USA

08 Nov 2022, 6:27 pm

Ah, I see. Yes, that happens a lot. I have odd body language, and auditory processing issues - so I don't make the best first impression. Again, people make assumptions based on all of the ways I am different from the norm.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 53,375

08 Nov 2022, 8:56 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Yeah, I know that autism is a neurological issue, but I meant people thinking that something more serious is wrong with you like a stroke or psychosis or something, due to issues you have with speech or something else. I'm really bad at verbalizing my thoughts and recalling details, so people don't understand me sometimes and can think I'm not "all there" because I can't quickly remember things I should be able to.


This is what I meant about professional gaslighting.
I was referring to conditions beyond autism.
They know I'm autistic / ADHD and that I've even had strokes, but they treat me like there's something worse.
My neurologist and PT after my big stroke kept saying I wasn't recovering like normal people would.
Heaven forbid if I say "I think there's something else ..." , then they tell me I'm fine.
Nurses at my sleep study tried to tell me I was schizophrenic because I had a sensory meltdown.
It's so annoying when professionals just don't get it.

You have every reason to have a speech delay, and if they don't think it's normal they should test you to find out why.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,228

08 Nov 2022, 9:09 pm

My doctor thankfully doesn't treat me like that because he's known me since I was a baby, and knows about my issues with language and processing. I don't like having to go to other doctors though since they don't know me or the fact that I have autism + other delays, and treat me really weird (like assuming that I have neurological or mental problems) because of my issues. I don't say anything to them but it really frustrates me because I know what they're getting at (because I'm not impaired or crazy lmao).



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,771
Location: temperate zone

08 Nov 2022, 9:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yes, it's professional gaslighting.
I've dealt with it for over 50 years.

They treat you like a freak.
But if you tell them you're a freak and need help, they say you're fine.
Then they look at you like you're a freak.


So they use the same logic as Yogi Berra, who once said:
"Anyone who would go to a shrink should have their head examined!"



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 53,375

08 Nov 2022, 9:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yes, it's professional gaslighting.
I've dealt with it for over 50 years.

They treat you like a freak.
But if you tell them you're a freak and need help, they say you're fine.
Then they look at you like you're a freak.


So they use the same logic as Yogi Berra, who once said:
"Anyone who would go to a shrink should have their head examined!"


Yup :P Same idea.
I wasn't referring to psychs though -- just regular doctors and medical professionals.
Psychs know for sure I'm messed. :wink:



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,289
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

08 Nov 2022, 11:53 pm

That happens to me all the time. I take it with a grain of salt.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 48
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,214
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

09 Nov 2022, 3:49 am

At this particular regard, it's not the people I have issues with.
It's something to do with me, unable to cope and react with whatever affliction the same way others do.


I'd even think there's something neurologically wrong with me for being too emotional and reactive regardless of any whatever mistakes I did.

Just anything to do with me being reactive and emotional. It always does even as a child.
I utterly hate this supposed "person that is me" exhibiting those mostly involuntary immature and narcissistic expressions with my face and my body. :x

And this isn't from anyone's remark, but my own judgement. I'm looking for solutions how to regulated or even get rid of it (for so long now) not someone's (or anyone's) tolerance.

Words is one thing -- I accept the very fact that not everyone has the patience, all the assumptions and all those verbally sourced misunderstandings due to this weakness of mine.

But the reactivity is another.
I do not accept this "weakness", I see this as an illness that should be cured by the time I'm supposedly an adult, supposedly matured through age and experience -- but it didn't.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).


blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,343
Location: In a cuboid sphere of abstract, nuanced thought.

29 Nov 2022, 10:01 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Yeah, I know that autism is a neurological issue, but I meant people thinking that something more serious is wrong with you like a stroke or psychosis or something, due to issues you have with speech or something else. I'm really bad at verbalizing my thoughts and recalling details, so people don't understand me sometimes and can think I'm not "all there" because I can't quickly remember things I should be able to.


This is what I meant about professional gaslighting.
I was referring to conditions beyond autism.
They know I'm autistic / ADHD and that I've even had strokes, but they treat me like there's something worse.
My neurologist and PT after my big stroke kept saying I wasn't recovering like normal people would.
Heaven forbid if I say "I think there's something else ..." , then they tell me I'm fine.
Nurses at my sleep study tried to tell me I was schizophrenic because I had a sensory meltdown.
It's so annoying when professionals just don't get it.

You have every reason to have a speech delay, and if they don't think it's normal they should test you to find out why.


Nurses shouldn't be making unwarranted, speculative diagnoses' unless they have a basis in your medical notes? Telling someone they are Schizophrenic if they are not seems unprofessional, if not downright violating the terms of a nurses role.