If you do not believe in god/gods...tell why if I may ask

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2007, 6:01 pm

I like to think that the universe makes more sense without a God.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 12:58 pm

Early in my life I was puzzled by the beliefs that religious people had and at the age of four or so I engaged a lot of kids my age in arguments as to their beliefs. They presented almost all the arguments at that time that religious people since have presented and I figured that when I grew up most people would have come to their senses. My emotion at this point in my adulthood is more surprise than anything else in my disappointment.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 1:11 pm

Since the time when we lived in caves, people have wanted to believe in something. For some it's god(s), for others it's astrology or numerology. It gives people comfort to believe that there is a reason things happen. This allows people to feel some sense of control or influence in their lives.

- Emerson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 6:07 pm

Never having lived in a cave I have always been free of the desire to fool myself about reality. It never occurred to me that the problem could be tied down to styles of housing.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 2:49 am

MrMark wrote:
It gives people comfort to believe that there is a reason things happen.

yeah but when does it stop being a search for a reason and rejecting the reality in explanation? i mean i could just say all day that the reason we went to iraq was oil* but that's not all of the story and not the truth....and if i cling to that belief even after the truth is out(whenever this actually happens) then am i any less wrong?

*aus' prime minister, john howard, recently (within the last couple months) said that oil was a big reason for joining the US in a war with iraq. i still doubt this is the only reason but i'm more using an example for the sake of an example...not for the sake of the accuracy of the statement within the example...if that makes sense.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 6:53 am

Highly trained scientists have demonstrated that even highly trained scientists will fail to see data that is in conflict with what they already believe to be true. Now if that's true for highly trained scientists, wouldn't it occur even more often among people not trained to observe, record, interpret, formulate...

Of course, I'm sure that you and I are immune to the phenomenon. :wink:

- Emerson

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 7:01 am

MrMark wrote:
Highly trained scientists have demonstrated that even highly trained scientists will fail to see data that is in conflict with what they already believe to be true. Now if that's true for highly trained scientists, wouldn't it occur even more often among people not trained to observe, record, interpret, formulate...

Of course, I'm sure that you and I are immune to the phenomenon. :wink:

No one is completely. But some are more immune than others. Like with N-Rays, the early 20th Century's crap science of EM radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N_ray

On sabbatical...

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2007, 9:05 am

Individual scientists may be able to deceive themselves but in the long run science does advance.