Dr. Phil Special: Parents' Ultimate Test Dealing with Autism

Page 5 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 9:07 pm

alex wrote:
Saw this on his website. I haven't seen any of the clips from the show but it looks like another really bad segment about Autism from Dr. Phil.

Quote:
"Child on the Verge?

Ten-year-old Luz throws screaming tantrums, barks like a dog and tells his mother, Sara, that he plans to kill her. Sara has long felt despair at Luz’s out-of-control behavior, yet she was shocked when he was diagnosed with autism.

"My mom is dead. I'm going to eat her carcass."

http://drphil.com/shows/show/974/

He also links to "asperger warning signs" from the show entitled "extreme disorders"

http://drphil.com/articles/article/497

Here's another quote describing the show:

Quote:
Dr. Phil tells the couple that the divorce rate among parents with autistic children is about 86 percent. “Why do you suppose that is?” he asks.

Wow, great job Dr. Phil. :roll:

Time-old tactic. Take the worst-case scenario and portray it as the norm.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 9:25 pm

Too true, Silver_Meteor.

For Dr. Phil, I offer the following words of wisdom:

Dodgeball And DODOS?! Do You Have ANY Idea What it's Like Listening To You!?
It is SO! BORING!
--Shego, from Disney's Kim Possible

crackbot4000
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2007, 10:29 pm

Quote:
If it was my kid, I'd spank him (or some other punishment) to let him know it's unacceptable to talk like he did, then sit and try to understand how he's feeling, help him feel better, and then teach him how to express himself in the future.

Let me explain why I wrote that. I'm autistic and when I was a kid I was disciplined in the following ways:

yelled at - made me irritated and gave me a headache, I focused on that instead of what I did wrong so it didn't help at all, only made me worse

arguing - told what's wrong with you?, why can't you act normal?, and stuff like that. didn't help, made me feel rejected and didn't teach me anything

time-out - didn't help since I quickly forgot about it by the end of the day, if it was too long I felt rejected and thought about it instead of what I did wrong

grounded - the cruelest of all, being alone was opposite of what I needed, made me feel rejected that parents didn't want to be around me

spanking - immediate and quick, I knew what I did wrong and I had some pain to help me remember then I was able to get on with my life. felt like parents cared enough to help me without feeling rejected or angry they irritated me like other methods. if my parents used spanking every time instead of other methods also, I think I would have been much better off than I am now. That's why I said I'd spank the kid because that helped me learn the best. I wrote or other punishment because I realize everyone is different. That's what I would do, not what I'm telling anyone else to do. Too many parents smack their kids because they get on their nerves or because their angry or having a bad bad - that's wrong and totally unacceptable, they do it because their concerned about obedience, doing what works to get them in line. I'd spank to teach the kid and help him grown up to be a good well-adjusted person. I'd talk to him and teach him acceptable behavior afterward. I hope you can understand that.

Quote:
I hope another punishment. If being yelled at doesn't put the fear into him. Surely beating him will. A spanker, talking about bad parenting?

I wouldn't yell at the kid. Nor would I beat that crap out of him. I'm not a spanker. I don't have kids. Spanking isn't bad parenting, only spanking out of anger or for the wrong reasons is bad. The "studies" quoted by the PC nonsense "experts" that say "violence" at home leads to violent kids are a bunch of BS. They include kids who are spanked out of anger and even kids who are physically abused (punched, kicked, thrown against wall, and stuff like that). They group all kinds of hitting together to conclude it leads to violence. Also, parents are more likely to hit kids who are already violent. They spank because they are violent and aggressive as oppose to spanking causing violence.

Quote:
And hitting children is acceptable? What would he learn from that?

Parents has been disciplining their kids by spanking for thousands of years all around the world. Now a few "enlightened" liberal experts say it's unacceptable. I learned from it. It worked very well.

Quote:
If you are still wondering why people can become so violent, it's because the spanking taught them that violence is an acceptable way to force other people to behave more compliantly.

Spanking leads to violence? That is ridiculous if spanking is done out of love. Kids understand that they are being disciplined because their parents care about them if it's done right. If parents smack or beat kids out of anger then I could see how it could lead to violence but that's due to bad parents not something against spanking.

vessel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2007, 10:44 pm

Those parents are freaking retarded.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 11:57 pm

crackbot4000 wrote:
The "studies" quoted by the PC nonsense "experts" that say "violence" at home leads to violent kids are a bunch of BS. They include kids who are spanked out of anger and even kids who are physically abused (punched, kicked, thrown against wall, and stuff like that). They group all kinds of hitting together to conclude it leads to violence. Also, parents are more likely to hit kids who are already violent. They spank because they are violent and aggressive as oppose to spanking causing violence.

Keep in mind that these same studies, while examining links between aggression and television violence, equated watching someone getting shot, or attacked a la Michael Meyers, with "Roadrunner" cartoons. (Nothing but violence from beginning to end! Good Lord, won't someone think of the children? </Helen Lovejoy>)

Aegius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2007, 12:20 am

Quote:
Dr. Phil sheds light on a pair of extreme neurological disorders: Tourette syndrome and Asperger's syndrome. Widely misunderstood, these disorders take a toll not only on the person who has them, but on the person's family and loved ones. Learn about the symptoms and also some revolutionary treatments that are giving hope to people who suffer from them.

Dr. Phil, are you really a Doctor or is that a load of BS? Tourette's syndrome and AS are unrelated and Tourette's is an extreme disorder, while AS although problematic isn't. I don't have a PhD in any psychological field, but I know that. Get it through your head and don't be dramatic by being deceitful for ratings.

Maybe the History Channel, Discovery Channel or A&E will have something on AS. Dr. Phil is just ridiculous and only for ratings and $$$.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 1:56 am

crackbot4000 wrote:
Quote:
If it was my kid, I'd spank him (or some other punishment) to let him know it's unacceptable to talk like he did, then sit and try to understand how he's feeling, help him feel better, and then teach him how to express himself in the future.

Let me explain why I wrote that. I'm autistic and when I was a kid I was disciplined in the following ways:

yelled at - made me irritated and gave me a headache, I focused on that instead of what I did wrong so it didn't help at all, only made me worse

arguing - told what's wrong with you?, why can't you act normal?, and stuff like that. didn't help, made me feel rejected and didn't teach me anything

time-out - didn't help since I quickly forgot about it by the end of the day, if it was too long I felt rejected and thought about it instead of what I did wrong

grounded - the cruelest of all, being alone was opposite of what I needed, made me feel rejected that parents didn't want to be around me

spanking - immediate and quick, I knew what I did wrong and I had some pain to help me remember then I was able to get on with my life. felt like parents cared enough to help me without feeling rejected or angry they irritated me like other methods. if my parents used spanking every time instead of other methods also, I think I would have been much better off than I am now. That's why I said I'd spank the kid because that helped me learn the best. I wrote or other punishment because I realize everyone is different. That's what I would do, not what I'm telling anyone else to do. Too many parents smack their kids because they get on their nerves or because their angry or having a bad bad - that's wrong and totally unacceptable, they do it because their concerned about obedience, doing what works to get them in line. I'd spank to teach the kid and help him grown up to be a good well-adjusted person. I'd talk to him and teach him acceptable behavior afterward. I hope you can understand that.

Quote:
I hope another punishment. If being yelled at doesn't put the fear into him. Surely beating him will. A spanker, talking about bad parenting?

I wouldn't yell at the kid. Nor would I beat that crap out of him. I'm not a spanker. I don't have kids. Spanking isn't bad parenting, only spanking out of anger or for the wrong reasons is bad. The "studies" quoted by the PC nonsense "experts" that say "violence" at home leads to violent kids are a bunch of BS. They include kids who are spanked out of anger and even kids who are physically abused (punched, kicked, thrown against wall, and stuff like that). They group all kinds of hitting together to conclude it leads to violence. Also, parents are more likely to hit kids who are already violent. They spank because they are violent and aggressive as oppose to spanking causing violence.

Quote:
And hitting children is acceptable? What would he learn from that?

Parents has been disciplining their kids by spanking for thousands of years all around the world. Now a few "enlightened" liberal experts say it's unacceptable. I learned from it. It worked very well.

Quote:
If you are still wondering why people can become so violent, it's because the spanking taught them that violence is an acceptable way to force other people to behave more compliantly.

Spanking leads to violence? That is ridiculous if spanking is done out of love. Kids understand that they are being disciplined because their parents care about them if it's done right. If parents smack or beat kids out of anger then I could see how it could lead to violence but that's due to bad parents not something against spanking.

It's no surprise that someone who was raised being spanked, would defend spanking children. It simply is a matter of the cycle of abuse. "My parents abused me in that way, so it should be good enough for my child." Seems alot of the time people who have been spanked, who defend spanking, seem to do so out of an innate fear. As if they were to question their parents discipline, they might be spanked again.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2007, 3:43 am

crackbot4000 wrote:
Spanking leads to violence? That is ridiculous if spanking is done out of love. Kids understand that they are being disciplined because their parents care about them if it's done right.

That's the nastiest lie ever, "for your own good"? If you love a child, you do not hurt them, there is no love in hurting someone, ever. Spanking is a sign of incompetence as parents, 'out of love' is the phrase they use to cover it up.

I think verbal and emotional abuse are as bad, perhaps worse because they're more covert, as spanking and physical abuse.

Quote:
The "studies" quoted by the PC nonsense "experts" that say "violence"

And your opinion is better then scientific research and clinical data? Your perception of your personal history is not shared by many others and certainly not by research - and I'd say you have still some issues to deal with, the truth hurts.

Quote:
They include kids who are spanked out of anger and even kids who are physically abused (punched, kicked, thrown against wall, and stuff like that).

Had you bothered to read some reports in stead of the propaganda you might have known that it's common to draw the line where there's any form of visible tissue damage. If so, its considered abuse and not included as spanking.

Quote:
Also, parents are more likely to hit kids who are already violent. They spank because they are violent and aggressive as oppose to spanking causing violence

Blaming the victim, that is such a disgusting act.
Aggression is a reaction to the environment, to (perceived) threats and the fear it induces. If a child acts aggressive, it's a reaction to what is happening. One should try to figure out what's wrong with the environment rather then the child.

Quote:
Parents has been disciplining their kids by spanking for thousands of years all around the world.

People have done stupid things throughout known history, that's not a reason to continue doing so. Normally you'd try to learn from the mistakes of the past, not repeat them.

24 Dec 2007, 4:39 am

Dr' Phil never said kids wanting to kill their mothers is part of autism. The boy does have it but happens to be violent and needs help. Why put words in Phil's mouth?

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 8:43 pm

Once they tried to MRI Dr. Phil's brain. Couldn't get it to work. Finally resorted to an electron microscope. Found it! Size of polyvinyl molecule.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 10:50 pm

Ya kno, if someone would just hollow that moron out, he'd make a good wetsuit.

Aegius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2007, 12:01 am

nutbag wrote:
Once they tried to MRI Dr. Phil's brain. Couldn't get it to work. Finally resorted to an electron microscope. Found it! Size of polyvinyl molecule.

No. They didn't find a molecule or even an atom; just an electron. Now please get that straight.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 8:06 am

The child definitely doesn't have autism because I, the shining beacon of what autism is, want to kill everyone; he's totally not affected/impaired by it.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 11:26 am

One modern trouble is media. There is data flow everywhere. Most of it is shock and fear based. Most eventually gets to some ill 0onsidered social - political position which is rammed home on a rod of pure emotion.

So we have Dr. Phil with aitism fear, we have George Bush with Arab fear, we have AlGore with warming fear. . .

. . . None educate. All frighten. Each has a following. And upon such disinformational fear based emotional data are made terrible decisions.

A society of barbarians with I phones. Merry bleeding Christmas.

25 Dec 2007, 8:56 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
The child definitely doesn't have autism because I, the shining beacon of what autism is, want to kill everyone; he's totally not affected/impaired by it.

Are we not allowed to have more than one condition or have any other problems? We're humans too, not creatures.

I knew an aspie who was a bully, he bullied his mother to control her and he bullied kids and teachers in his school and he had other conditions too, not just AS.

I tried to be just like him too when I was 16 so I would get my way and did that make me not autistic or AS?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 10:23 pm

Spokane_Girl,

I was just making fun of myself (see: Heather the model thread); you're correct, anger is common for people with Asperger's (living in a society that one doesn't understand does that to a person), how said anger manifests is different for each person due to their personality.

(I was pretty close to burning...stuff down when I was at my angriest.)