Page 1 of 14 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

13 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm

Does anyone else think that Callinicus of Heliopolis, inventor of Greek Fire who, by his invention, prevented the Islamic conquest of Europe, could have been a time-traveler?



psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 235
Location: Lexington, KY

13 Aug 2008, 7:51 pm

Anything is possible.


_________________
"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."
- George H. W, Bush
"God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom."


greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,896
Location: Home

13 Aug 2008, 8:04 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Does anyone else think that Callinicus of Heliopolis, inventor of Greek Fire who, by his invention, prevented the Islamic conquest of Europe, could have been a time-traveler?

He might have been an incarnation of the Doctor.

It would be interesting to see (but not to live) how things would be if he would not have invented greek fire, as it is alledgedly claimed.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,367
Location: currently Belgium, longing for the Middle East

13 Aug 2008, 8:22 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Does anyone else think that Callinicus of Heliopolis, inventor of Greek Fire who, by his invention, prevented the Islamic conquest of Europe, could have been a time-traveler?


I don't believe in anything paranormal not witnessable by the eye. So no way that I believe in time travels.

It'd be cool if it existed though. I would love to visit medieval Europe, when witch burnings and small countries governed by the castle lord where common practice. To see society evolve and the first conflicts between religion and developping science, seems very interesting to me.


_________________
Do what Thou wilt shal be the whole of the Law.
Love is the Law, Love under Will. And...
every man and every woman is a star
(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)


Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 560
Location: New Zealand

13 Aug 2008, 8:23 pm

I wish we could time travel :cry:



Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,935
Location: Newberg, OR

13 Aug 2008, 8:26 pm

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Does anyone else think that Callinicus of Heliopolis, inventor of Greek Fire who, by his invention, prevented the Islamic conquest of Europe, could have been a time-traveler?

He might have been an incarnation of the Doctor.

It would be interesting to see (but not to live) how things would be if he would not have invented greek fire, as it is alledgedly claimed.


well, we wouldn't have flame throwers. that's for sure.


_________________
I want peace for all. Simple yet elegant.


greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,896
Location: Home

13 Aug 2008, 8:42 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
It'd be cool if it existed though. I would love to visit medieval Europe, when witch burnings and small countries governed by the castle lord where common practice. To see society evolve and the first conflicts between religion and developping science, seems very interesting to me.

It would be dangerous, unless you are protected and they can't see you, although watching some scenes would be very disturbing from our own standards.

But still, it would be very interesting to witness history by time travel, we could definitely answer some questions in that way, if it was possible.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,294
Location: Motown

13 Aug 2008, 8:44 pm

when you think about it....EVERYONE is a time traveler... we just only know how to go one way.... :wink:


_________________
*Christina*

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity


greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,896
Location: Home

13 Aug 2008, 8:46 pm

Gamester wrote:
greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Does anyone else think that Callinicus of Heliopolis, inventor of Greek Fire who, by his invention, prevented the Islamic conquest of Europe, could have been a time-traveler?

He might have been an incarnation of the Doctor.

It would be interesting to see (but not to live) how things would be if he would not have invented greek fire, as it is alledgedly claimed.


well, we wouldn't have flame throwers. that's for sure.

No, because they would be killed because of it, so no one would do it, to see how history could change from one single event being prevented, would be interesting, if someone travels back in time and prevent him from doing so, although not sure if this story is debatable or not among scholars and historians.

The time travel idea related to this, is very interesting indeed.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,658

13 Aug 2008, 8:48 pm

Do you mean like remote viewing or actual physical time travel?



Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 3 May 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 392
Location: W. Yorks, UK

13 Aug 2008, 9:06 pm

If you orbit the earth the opposite way to which it is turning, faster than it takes to perform a whole rotation (a day), then essentially you go back in time. Or so I remember. I guess time is created as a human convenience and in fact, physics allow us to overlap it when possible. Currently I can't see how I could previously comprehend that but hey, it is 3am.



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

13 Aug 2008, 9:36 pm

claire333 wrote:
Do you mean like remote viewing or actual physical time travel?


Physical time travel. The timeline would have changed because of Callinicus. Without him, we could be living in an Islamic super-nation, which would be the timeline Callinicus would have destroyed.



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

13 Aug 2008, 9:38 pm

Aalto wrote:
If you orbit the earth the opposite way to which it is turning, faster than it takes to perform a whole rotation (a day), then essentially you go back in time. Or so I remember. I guess time is created as a human convenience and in fact, physics allow us to overlap it when possible. Currently I can't see how I could previously comprehend that but hey, it is 3am.


The relative direction is irrelevant. You go fast enough and you will slow your passage through time with respect to a "stationary" observer.



greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,896
Location: Home

13 Aug 2008, 9:48 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
claire333 wrote:
Do you mean like remote viewing or actual physical time travel?


Physical time travel. The timeline would have changed because of Callinicus. Without him, we could be living in an Islamic super-nation, which would be the timeline Callinicus would have destroyed.

It would be very interesting if a scifi book or movie would be made based on that premise.

After some replies, I have a question, iamnotaparakeet, is your question really serious, or is an allegory? because I'm not that sure :P


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

13 Aug 2008, 11:52 pm

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
claire333 wrote:
Do you mean like remote viewing or actual physical time travel?


Physical time travel. The timeline would have changed because of Callinicus. Without him, we could be living in an Islamic super-nation, which would be the timeline Callinicus would have destroyed.

It would be very interesting if a scifi book or movie would be made based on that premise.

After some replies, I have a question, iamnotaparakeet, is your question really serious, or is an allegory? because I'm not that sure :P


I've had this thought before, but after watching Timeline and Thrill Seekers it has come back into my thoughts. Yes, I'm being serious. I don't have a clue what this would be an allegory of anyway.

Maybe I could write it up in more detail after re-researching what I did before, but I'm not very creative when it comes to doing fiction writing and would give that to someone else if they want.



Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,549
Location: Beyond the Void

13 Aug 2008, 11:58 pm

only 2 men, said by Saltandor, can travel threw time!

Chuck Norris
Image

and Bjorn Ulvaeus
Image